Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 10:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
See my post above. Barely any of those people stay in Chicago. There is no continual relevance they give to the city like Atlanta had with its celebs. Like I said Kanye’s most anticipated Donda put Atlanta in the spotlight way more than Chicago.
So you think Donda's ties to ATL, give the average listener the association between Kanye and ATL over Kanye and Chicago? Being that they named their daughter Chicago, I don't think so.

As he says in Homecoming: "If you don't know by now, I'm talking 'bout Chi-Town!"

Again, your argument is stuck with the near sighted references of 2021. You seem to forget every decade prior that the vast majority of people have lived through.

As for some data we could disseminate, use my Hispanic analogy as reference: 775k Hispanics call Chicago home. 24k call ATL home. 20% of the United States population is Hispanic. Who owns more mindshare amongst that group?

33% of ATL is black, 30% Chicago. I think ATL is the epicenter of black culture, but do we think Chicago is a laggard in that department? I certainly don't.

15% of ATLs population was born International, 18% in Chicago.

^All of that is to say, Chicago is more represented Nationally and Globally. That has to have a massive effect on recognition. And it sees more domestic and International tourism. People voting with their feet, not with hashtags on social media. Unless people from Europe and Asia are blindly hopping on a plane to Chicago... That's a conscious decision.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Look, no one is saying Chicago is irrelevant. Good Times is one of my favorite shows. Cabrini Green probably doesn’t have as much noteriety as Bankhead, but it is an iconic black hood— it’s a shame that we do this anyway. Also, Obama reps Chicago. I get all of that.

But as far as Kanye, he was born here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/florida.../311006/%3famp

He had his huge album release parties at Mercedes Benz. And finished his album in the basement of the stadium. It don’t get more Atlanta than that. This was widely reported on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz...h-donda-album/

So after that long hiatus, he comes back to his first home to give it shine on his highly anticipated album named after his mom. Atlanta got way more spotlight off of Donda than Chicago. Crazy huh?

I will agree on the sports. Jordan is the largest sports (as a single athlete) brand of all time. The Bulls will never be forgotten. Atlanta doesn’t come close here, the closest is Hank Aaron and the Braves. And that still isn’t super close to me. Do you see how I’m willing to admit facts when they are obvious?

But as far as food, Chicago has high end eateries we don’t have. But that doesn’t translate into popularity when only 1% of ppl can afford it.

Chicago does have common man food scene that exceeds Atlanta… maybe. We have Chicago based wings here at JJs and Harold’s. But lemon pepper and Waffle House probably has more pop culture references than those places. But I would edge out Chicago on the deep dish thing.

None this equates to what Atlanta is doing in film and music right now and you knowit . And what makes us unique is that our celebrities stay home more likely than not. So Atlanta functions more like an LA or NY in that light. Kanye and Dwayne Wade bring more spotlight to LA than Chicago because they live there.

Like I said how you rank them depends on what you choose to emphasize, but Chicago present day isnt as culturally iconic as Atlanta.
Lets not go down that long road of who was born where because if we did than Atlanta couldn't claim more than half the artist that rep Atlanta. Couldn't claim Ludacris, Usher , TLC, Jeezy, Gucci Mane, Jermaine Dupri, Big Boi, etc. etc. Atlanta is WAY MORE of a transient city full of out of towners making their mark on the city than Chicago is.

Chicago is much more a generational city. With that said Kanye West reps Chicago. He don't rep Atlanta. Nothing about him screams Atlanta. Atlanta desperately claiming Kanye cause it's Kanye but everyone knows and associates Kanye with Chicago.

And Mercedes Benz stadium got more publicity than the actual city. Kanye has never made any tributes to Atlanta. Never has publicly paid homage to Atlanta. I mean hell, Drake wasn't born in Houston yet he's made more tributes to the city than he has to his hometown of Toronto. You don't see Kanye do that with Atlanta so that's a reach.

I love Atlanta but you're being a homer right now if you think Atlanta is more relevant than Chicago. Nah not even.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lets not go down that long road of who was born where because if we did than Atlanta couldn't claim more than half the artist that rep Atlanta. Couldn't claim Ludacris, Usher , TLC, Jeezy, Gucci Mane, Jermaine Dupri, Big Boi, etc. etc. Atlanta is WAY MORE of a transient city full of out of towners making their mark on the city than Chicago is.

Chicago is much more a generational city. With that said Kanye West reps Chicago. He don't rep Atlanta. Nothing about him screams Atlanta. Atlanta desperately claiming Kanye cause it's Kanye but everyone knows and associates Kanye with Chicago.

And Mercedes Benz stadium got more publicity than the actual city. Kanye has never made any tributes to Atlanta. Never has publicly paid homage to Atlanta. I mean hell, Drake wasn't born in Houston yet he's made more tributes to the city than he has to his hometown of Toronto. You don't see Kanye do that with Atlanta so that's a reach.

I love Atlanta but you're being a homer right now if you think Atlanta is more relevant than Chicago. Nah not even.
You are being sensitive and not reading my post. It’s not about him being born here, it’s the publicity of the album release event itself. It had a huge buzz online. He chose Atlanta because it was where his story started. That’s all. He doesn’t make tributes here? He literally finished his album while I living at our stadium for a few weeks and shouted his mom out around the HBCUs she worked at. How is that Atlanta wanting to desperately claim him? He set that stage for it. Get mad at him, not me for pointing out.

When Ludacris comes back to Illinois and does something on that scale, then you could point the same thing out to me. I wouldn’t get mad lol. Atlanta really rubs you all the wrong way I see.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:24 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So you think Donda's ties to ATL, give the average listener the association between Kanye and ATL over Kanye and Chicago? Being that they named their daughter Chicago, I don't think so.

As he says in Homecoming: "If you don't know by now, I'm talking 'bout Chi-Town!"

Again, your argument is stuck with the near sighted references of 2021. You seem to forget every decade prior that the vast majority of people have lived through.

As for some data we could disseminate, use my Hispanic analogy as reference: 775k Hispanics call Chicago home. 24k call ATL home. 20% of the United States population is Hispanic. Who owns more mindshare amongst that group?

33% of ATL is black, 30% Chicago. I think ATL is the epicenter of black culture, but do we think Chicago is a laggard in that department? I certainly don't.

^All of that is to say, Chicago is more represented Nationally and Globally. That has to have a massive effect on recognition. And it sees more domestic and International tourism. People voting with their feet, not with hashtags on social media. Unless people from Europe and Asia are blindly hopping on a plane to Chicago... That's a conscious decision.
More people live there. Almost double the size. I would expect more “tourism” based off of that alone. A huge factor ya know.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:48 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
More people live there. Almost double the size. I would expect more “tourism” based off of that alone. A huge factor ya know.
So you are admitting Chicago is a more relevant and recognized city?

Old 09-24-2021, 12:49 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
How would you order cities for name recognition for the top 10-13 metros

NYC/ LA/ DC

Bay Area/ Miami… Atlanta(ATL distant competitor on this level)

Chicago/ Boston/ Houston/ Dallas

Seattle/Philly… Detroit (DET distant competitor on this line)

And no, I don’t feel like I rated Chicago too low.

By name recognition:

-References in the arts and history
-current pop culture status
-the amount of people who visit the place
-how many global brands and landmarks reside there
- how much of it is referenced with big tech
Ttt. No Atlanta is not more internationally known than Seattle, Philly, Detroit much less that Chicago/ Boston group

Old 09-24-2021, 01:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Absolutely a huge factor. Size of the area + % of cultures represented is a huge consideration.

No secret why, then, NYC, LA, and Chicago would be the most notable/recognizable American cities. Ya know?

Old 09-24-2021, 01:03 PM

503 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ttt. No Atlanta is not more internationally known than Seattle, Philly, Detroit much less that Chicago/ Boston group
I can agree with the others but definitely not Seattle. Atlanta is at least on equal footing due to things like the Olympics and current pop culture imo.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Hosting a World Cup game in 2026 will certainly be important for international name recognition.

10 spots, 17 US cities in the running. Which do we think will get a game? For 2026 Men's World Cup.

Boston
New York City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Washington DC
Miami
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Denver
Kansas City
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Orlando
Nashville

LA and NYC are givens, the other 8 spots will be competitive.
I would say between the other Northeast cities that Philadelphia has the most advantages (and perfect timing for the Semiquincentennial). I assume 1 other Northeast city will join NYC and LA. Then 7 spots for the rest of the group.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Where in the world are you getting 24K?!?! Try over 730,000. The Hispanic population grew by 183,000 just since 2010. And you need to check your tourism numbers, Atlanta was 45 million in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City