Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 09:06 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Nyc

La
Chicago

Sf
Dc
Miami

Bos
Hou

Atl
Dal
Sea

Phl
SD
Orl
Det
I'd probably group Boston, Houston, ATL, and Dallas.. And Las Vegas needs to be added, as does Nola.

But this feels darn accurate to me.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I have spent half my life outside the US.
I have probably traveled a lot more than you.

When I travel I spend time with residents, not in hotels. I learn the culture and see less visited areas.

People might not know much details about Atlanta, but it is certainly one of the top 5 in terms of recognition.
You probably havent but whatever.

Atlanta is in no way shape or form top 5 in the US for name recognition. NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, and SF have that on lock. Atlanta has better name recognition than Dallas or Houston, but no where near those 5.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:38 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
How many movies and TV shows are set in Dallas or Houston? While some movie and TV settings are about looking ordinary, or are simply the home of production studios, many are trying for recognizable, emblematic locations. How many use Dallas or Houston locations to set a mood or inspire people? So far all I'm thinking of is NASA. Seattle gets at least its share of movies and shows due to "mood/inspiration" despite shows typically being filmed elsewhere. I think it punches above its weight here.

Pleasure tourism is another clue. Houston has relatively few downtown hotel rooms despite a lot of recent additions, and Dallas appears to be pretty middling. This is despite giant convention centers and lots of offices, leading me to believe they're mostly for business travelers, with less pleasure tourism. (I'm seeing 8,200 and 15,000 rooms...which might not be parallel of course.) By contrast, Seattle has a tiny convention center but 16,000 rooms in a walkable area.

Seattle is at least a peer of those cities for name recognition.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
NYC
Miami
LA
SF
Vegas
Chicago
DC

This is group is well over the rest IMO
Yep, this is it. Tier 2 is every other large city that people have most likely heard of either through the news, professional sports, or some other means.

I've said this in another thread, but to the average American, there is not a meaningful difference between cities like Boston, Nashville, Austin, Cleveland, Denver, Phoenix, and others. These are just large well known cities that, unless you have visited or live near them, you probably don't know much about them.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:59 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
How many movies and TV shows are set in Dallas or Houston? While some movie and TV settings are about looking ordinary, or are simply the home of production studios, many are trying for recognizable, emblematic locations. How many use Dallas or Houston locations to set a mood or inspire people? So far all I'm thinking of is NASA. Seattle gets at least its share of movies and shows due to "mood/inspiration" despite shows typically being filmed elsewhere. I think it punches above its weight here.

Pleasure tourism is another clue. Houston has relatively few downtown hotel rooms despite a lot of recent additions, and Dallas appears to be pretty middling. This is despite giant convention centers and lots of offices, leading me to believe they're mostly for business travelers, with less pleasure tourism. (I'm seeing 8,200 and 15,000 rooms...which might not be parallel of course.) By contrast, Seattle has a tiny convention center but 16,000 rooms in a walkable area.

Seattle is at least a peer of those cities for name recognition.
You’re right, but Downtown Houston isn’t the premier hotel district so this is why the numbers appear low there. I think you’re placing too much emphasis on the downtown borders. If they’re staying in Uptown, TMC, etc, it’s still central traffic. To a lesser degree, Dallas Victory Park is also a hotel hotspot that would make the numbers appear higher.

Not saying you’re wrong about the leisure tourism because you’re right. Just pointing that your numbers look as extreme as they do because of borders you’re defining

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-23-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 10:11 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Yep, this is it. Tier 2 is every other large city that people have most likely heard of either through the news, professional sports, or some other means.

I've said this in another thread, but to the average American, there is not a meaningful difference between cities like Boston, Nashville, Austin, Cleveland, Denver, Phoenix, and others. These are just large well known cities that, unless you have visited or live near them, you probably don't know much about them.
Boston in the same group as Cleveland? I think it'd be more well known if not for Harvard/MIT, then for the Revolutionary War history, or various movies and TV shows (Cheers, the Departed, Good Will Hunting, Legally Blonde, etc.)

I know Cleveland has the Cavs recent successes, but it's not like Boston's sports teams aren't well known either.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Black or not, it is undeniable that Atlanta is constantly in the media.

Whether you are a fan of hip hop or the associated shows, you know they exist.

DC is the only city that's constantly on the TV, all day everyday.

NY is known all around. It's the US's premier city.

After that, in terms of Media it's LA, Miami and Atlanta.

SF, Boston, etc may be more important, have more ties to business or education, but at the end of the day, the media isn't blasting the happenings of reality stars from those cities.
DC is the only city that's constantly on TV? Literally every time I turn on my tv or watch a film some movie is set in NYC/LA/SF/Chicago/Miami. Atlanta is one of the top 5 cities for tv and film BUT there's a lot of films shot in Atlanta that have nothing to do with Atlanta. As popular as Atlanta is it's name recognition is not in the same tier as LA or Miami.

If you put that much emphasis on reality tv than Huntsville Alabama is one of the most recognized cities in the nation since they have some pretty successful reality shows coming out of there centered around Huntsville.

I'd put Atlanta in the top 10. It ain't in the top 5 though. SF and Boston have been more nationally recognized longer than Atlanta and continues to be recognized to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFoot View Post
I've seen Minneapolis in the news far more over the last year than the vast majority of the cities listed here. It was the epicenter of world-wide protests, riots, defund the police talks, etc. and will continue to be in the news or discussed for years. It is now probably the most recognized mid-size US city on a global scale. It already had the the pop culture and brands and now has the historical significance so it belongs on the list. Also, Detroit should be much higher - definitely above the likes of Denver, San Diego, Portland, and Phoenix.

I'm not going to try and rank the cities / metros, but IMO, these are the ones with most name recognition.

NYC
LA
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
Boston
Las Vegas
Seattle
New Orleans
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Detroit
Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis
Nashville
Orlando
I knew I missed a city. I'd probably place Minneapolis in tier 4 or 5 honestly. As far as Detroit yeah it could be higher. Maybe I was thinking more of it's blight being so overwhelming that I couldn't see it any higher.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:23 AM

117 posts, read 80,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
NYC
Miami
LA
SF
Vegas
Chicago
DC

This is group is well over the rest IMO
I'd add Seattle (Amazon/Tech, Grunge/Rock Music, Coffee, Rain, Boeing) and Atlanta (origin of Civil Rights movement, hip-hop, CNN, Coca-Cola, Black Mecca) to the list as well.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:28 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lets address the elephant in the room regarding Atlanta.

Where you view it will likely depend on whether or not you are black.

Ive been to 58 countries, based on my conversations youve got 5 cities that are universally known: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and DC. Youve got some cities that have massive name recognition in parts of the world but minimal in others. Miami is a good example of that. Then you have the two vacation based cities that will be recognized widely by those who like the recreation they provide: Orlando and Las Vegas. Beyond that, places like Seattle, Philly, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, etc. will have global recognition but it wont be uniform like the main five I mentioned.
This is a great post. The thread should have closed after this.

And you beat me with countries. I've been to 36.

I still think certain posters are out of the mind if they think Atlanta is top 5 in global recognition. Either they don't get out much or the love of their city clouds reality.

It also makes me laugh when people mention Coke or Amazon or any other large company. Do we really think people on other continents know or care what corporation is connected with what city? Do Americans know the same for major cities on other continents?

Last edited by cpomp; 09-23-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 10:31 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I think it goes like this….

1. NYC it’s probably the most known in the world or in the top 3.

2. Washington DC this is a hard second pick, it’s on every TV all day and night. Capital and Head of the US Government. Sometimes countries refer to the United States as “Washington DC”.

3. LA from movies this one is easy everyone has seen photos of Los Angeles. It’s one of a kind.

4. San Francisco songs, movies, tech, food, scenery the list goes on.

5. Close between Miami, Chicago and Las Vegas they’re all famous.
Yes, though 2 and 3, IDK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City