Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:28 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

D.C. was surprisingly low on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean.. This seems pretty accurate.

But yeah, would like to see more data on this. I'd all but gaurantee NYC, LA, and Chicago are heads and shoulders above the rest. Miami and Las Vegas makes sense. Then comes Boston, SF. Again, no real surprise here.

I'll say this - Kudos to Atlanta if this data is accurate. Higher than I would have thought, candidly.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean.. This seems pretty accurate.

But yeah, would like to see more data on this. I'd all but gaurantee NYC, LA, and Chicago are heads and shoulders above the rest. Miami and Las Vegas makes sense. Then comes Boston, SF. Again, no real surprise here.

I'll say this - Kudos to Atlanta if this data is accurate. Higher than I would have thought, candidly.
I think it looks good minus DC. There’s no way it’s that low

Old 09-23-2021, 07:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
D.C. was surprisingly low on that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
My only explanation for D.C. being so low might have something to do with Trump and the political circus that centered around D.C during that time frame. I mean the world saw the political circus and might have been more hesitant to visit D.C. or look at in a favorable light because of that.

Hell, I know some Americans who said they wouldn't go to D.C. till Trump is out of office so MAYBE.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:46 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah for sure, should have called that out.

I'd think DC would be in that SF/Miami/Boston or slightly above.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
I checked that list. DC was super low. That set off an Alarm. Name and brand recognition isn’t just about counting key words or tags on a selfie, the latter will differ between cities like Chicago with huge city limits over places like DC or Atlanta. The methodology needs to be more transparent…

That said, Chicago *could* possibly come up in conversation more, but is that conversation negative or positive? What does Chicago have going on the past few years that’s of cultural distinction? The comparison between Chicago and Atlanta is like one between Seattle and Detroit, cities with strong cultural relevance in the present versus cities with strong legacies. But in Atlanta’s case, you get just as much historical significance with some of your more mature cities. So I don’t know.

But I don’t see the equivalent from Chicago in the present day:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandon...h=105e88c17c42

^^”Atlanta” the show was one of the best shows on television a few years ago. What straight foward promotion.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...s-hot-100-hits

^^Migos rival the Beatles in their cultural and musical output. They are are waking promotion for Atlanta. Remember I referenced earlier how hip hop distinguishes itself from other genres by how intrinsic hometowns/residencies are to the art. You can’t seperate artists from where they rep in this genre. So win for Atlanta here.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-at...tal-of-america

^^^ I could add to this Tyler Perry’s recently built studio, largest in the nation.. but I’ll stop here. Chicago doesn’t have any of this momentum.

The only thing you guys who are detracting can say is “well that matters more to black people” and it’s dismissive considering black entertainers and athletes are some of the biggest brands in the world, with more multi-ethnic and national reach than most.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
To be fair, the internet is only one clue about name recognition. For example it would probably tilt toward younger people with free time who aren't poor.

DC is famous, but I suspect the same caveat...various names that might not all be counted, many ways of titling something about the federal government, and so on.

It's all just clues. Actual analysis is useful, if limited to correct context, which would take someone digging deeper into each of these sources than I did.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:29 PM

626 posts, read 463,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I checked that list. DC was super low. That set off an Alarm. Name and brand recognition isn’t just about counting key words or tags on a selfie, the latter will differ between cities like Chicago with huge city limits over places like DC or Atlanta. The methodology needs to be more transparent…

That said, Chicago *could* possibly come up in conversation more, but is that conversation negative or positive? What does Chicago have going on the past few years that’s of cultural distinction? The comparison between Chicago and Atlanta is like one between Seattle and Detroit, cities with strong cultural relevance in the present versus cities with strong legacies. But in Atlanta’s case, you get just as much historical significance with some of your more mature cities. So I don’t know.

But I don’t see the equivalent from Chicago in the present day:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandon...h=105e88c17c42

^^”Atlanta” the show was one of the best shows on television a few years ago. What straight foward promotion.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...s-hot-100-hits

^^Migos rival the Beatles in their cultural and musical output. They are are waking promotion for Atlanta. Remember I referenced earlier how hip hop distinguishes itself from other genres by how intrinsic hometowns/residencies are to the art. You can’t seperate artists from where they rep in this genre. So win for Atlanta here.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-at...tal-of-america

^^^ I could add to this Tyler Perry’s recently built studio, largest in the nation.. but I’ll stop here. Chicago doesn’t have any of this momentum.

The only thing you guys who are detracting can say is “well that matters more to black people” and it’s dismissive considering black entertainers and athletes are some of the biggest brands in the world, with more multi-ethnic and national reach than most.

Did you just say Migos rivals the Beatles in their cultural output? You win the prize for craziest comment of the day congrats.

You do realize that a large percentage of people who know of rap music around the world actually think it's a huge detriment to society right? I love rap and I even know and understand that. I just wouldn't be claiming that rap is the main reason why a certain city is known around the world if I were you. Most of the world doesn't look at rap music the same way that America looks at it.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:38 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Did you just say Migos rivals the Beatles in their cultural output? You win the prize for craziest comment of the day congrats.

You do realize that a large percentage of people who know of rap music around the world actually think it's a huge detriment to society right? I love rap and I even know and understand that. I just wouldn't be claiming that rap is the main reason why a certain city is known around the world if I were you. Most of the world doesn't look at rap music the same way that America looks at it.
Migos have 2 videos viewed 1 Billion times. The highest viewed Beetles videos is 94 Million. There's some truth in what he's saying.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Thanks for putting this in black and white, rep for you for using data and not some idea in your head. In both studies of name recognition, Chicago seems to be way ahead of Atlanta. No surprised if you look at things objectively and from all sides. These two studies were really interesting as well, especially the one where LA was #1, Chicago #13, and Atlanta fairly high at #22, for all the reasons stated by Meep and others.

In study #2, Chicago was #2 in the world. I would say that that was high, but interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post

The numbers speak. I’m not going to get into a debate about what constitutes “real” or proper culture. Whatever culture they have it it is effective in a way where their output rivals and sometimes outpaces the Beatles. That’s not debatable.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:16 PM

626 posts, read 463,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Migos have 2 videos viewed 1 Billion times. The highest viewed Beetles videos is 94 Million. There's some truth in what he's saying.

94 million? The first two Beatles videos I looked at were 348 and 286 million views. Of course Migos has more views on Youtube for a bunch different reasons that I won't get into here, but if you think the rap group Migos has had anywhere near the cultural impact around the world that the Beatles have had you either just don't know much about music or much about life and history in general. I feel embarrassed even just talking about it.

Plus Migos's last like 10 rap videos have been shot in Miami anyways. Same goes for Gucci Mane. If anything they're repping Miami more than Atlanta these days. A Miami rapper would never shoot a music video in Atlanta for the "scenery".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City