Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 06:45 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

Possibly due to recent news of strikes at CA hospitals by 21,000 Kaiser nurses and other healthcare workers?

https://calmatters.org/health/corona...pital-strikes/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ke%3f_amp=true

Hospital bed occupancy levels are not that different and/or as bad as portrayed in SoFla.

Florida:

https://data.commercialappeal.com/co...ty/florida/12/

SoCal:

https://data.thecalifornian.com/covi...-county/06037/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Why would anyone vote FL for healthcare, when their hospitals are chock full of dying covid patients and people can’t even get a bed for other issues?

Last edited by elchevere; 10-17-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 01:39 AM

323 posts, read 259,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Remind me again how that GDP is helping the average Joe in Los Angeles? Oh right, it isn't. A middle class family will have better economic prospects in South Florida than Southern California.
100% These California boosters appeal to stats that have no real relevance for the average person.
Florida affords a better life for a far larger spectrum of economic backgrounds.
And if you enjoy truly warm weather year round, a fantastic nightlife, gorgeous people, swimmable and clean beaches, no state taxes, a latin/international vibe, and a better COL....then Florida is a no brainer...
Also, as someone else pointed out, South Florida isn't limited to the Miami metro, although MIA metro holds its own and sometimes surpasses Los Angeles in all the aforementioned criteria, and it completely blows San Diego (boresville) out of the water....but I digress. Depending on how you define SoFlo; I'd say Lake Okeechobee and south, then the region also includes Key West and the rest of the Key Islands, Marco Island, Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples and Venice...
Southern Cali is more geographically diverse...and if the mountains and desert are super important to you, then I can understand your preference for SoCal....

And I haven't even addressed the rancid homeless problem that plagues California cities; something that does not exist in South Florida. Yes, there are homeless...but NOTHING like what exists in LA and San Diego..

All these factors make South Florida the easy choice...and it's not even close...

Old 10-18-2021, 05:53 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Florida has so many covid dying people say. Worst state ever. Why even vote for death.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:11 AM

100% spot on and how I feel.

Like you said, if mountains + desert matter to you (or if you are the 1% of the total US population that actually surfs) then I could see why SoCal would be important to some (though the high rises in SoFla are my manmade mountains and I can interact with people inside them).

The only thing I miss about SoCal was being able to stay up for the conclusion and outcome of late evening baseball and football games (though with the internet, it is much better now the next morning for getting actual scores and highlights than when I grew up decades ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
100% These California boosters appeal to stats that have no real relevance for the average person.
Florida affords a better life for a far larger spectrum of economic backgrounds.
And if you enjoy truly warm weather year round, a fantastic nightlife, gorgeous people, swimmable and clean beaches, no state taxes, a latin/international vibe, and a better COL....then Florida is a no brainer...
Also, as someone else pointed out, South Florida isn't limited to the Miami metro, although MIA metro holds its own and sometimes surpasses Los Angeles in all the aforementioned criteria, and it completely blows San Diego (boresville) out of the water....but I digress. Depending on how you define SoFlo; I'd say Lake Okeechobee and south, then the region also includes Key West and the rest of the Key Islands, Marco Island, Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples and Venice...
Southern Cali is more geographically diverse...and if the mountains and desert are super important to you, then I can understand your preference for SoCal....

And I haven't even addressed the rancid homeless problem that plagues California cities; something that does not exist in South Florida. Yes, there are homeless...but NOTHING like what exists in LA and San Diego..

All these factors make South Florida the easy choice...and it's not even close...

Last edited by elchevere; 10-18-2021 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-18-2021, 06:46 AM

Per today’s NY Times, “Florida now has one of the lowest average daily Covid case rates in the country”:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...cases.amp.html

Worst is relative….NY, NJ and MA all have higher Covid death rates per 100,000 than FL.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

I would have went nuts last year with all the restrictions/closures in CA…some of my friends who are small business owners (gyms, restaurants) went ballistic. Part of the reason many, including Californians, were dying to leave their former state and moved to SoFla this past year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10n...er%3f_amp=true

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Florida has so many covid dying people say. Worst state ever. Why even vote for death.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-18-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 01:56 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
S. FL even though S. CA has better weather in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:04 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
S. FL even though S. CA has better weather in my opinion.
S.Cal has more options climatologically... from San Diego all the way up to the high desert of Joshua Tree and the greenery of Idyllwild, S.Cal has a climate for everybody. - and no hurricanes.

That said, that's the only thing S.Cal has going for it. Every other indicator favors S.Florida.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Remind me again how that GDP is helping the average Joe in Los Angeles? Oh right, it isn't. A middle class family will have better economic prospects in South Florida than Southern California.
Actually, they won't. Florida has some of the lowest wages in the country, so unless you're in STEM or law, you're going to have low wages with high prices in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/West Palm metro

Old 10-25-2021, 09:27 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, they won't. Florida has some of the lowest wages in the country, so unless you're in STEM or law, you're going to have low wages with high prices in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale/West Palm metro
Yawn. Comments like this are dated and now factually untrue. From 2018 to 2019, FL’s income grew 6.79%. The per capita income is just around the national average.

Additionally, California has a worse gap between rich and poor and a horrific cost of living to income ratio.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-26-2021 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-25-2021, 09:46 AM

Yes—SoFla is more than just STEM and law (and bus boys and pool sweepers..lol). We do have finance, sales, real estate / real estate development, import/export and small business. Granted, SoCal has a more diversified economy with more corporate HQ and opportunities in more fields. Depends on one’s career path. While housing costs are now comparable (though still more square footage/dollar in SoFla and which I suspect is temporary) no state income tax and lower car ownership costs in FL.

Since Covid a number of transplants from CA and elsewhere have brought their higher wages (to compensate for higher COL) and/or wealth with them to SoFla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yawn. Comments like this are dated and now factually untrue. From 2018 to 2019, FL’s income grew 6.79%. The per capita income is just around the national average.

Additionally, California has a worse gap between rich and poor and a horrific cost of living to income ratio.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-26-2021 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City