Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City Will Build a 1,000 Ft Skyscraper?
Miami 76 49.67%
Charlotte 24 15.69%
Dallas 22 14.38%
Austin 61 39.87%
Seattle 33 21.57%
Boston 8 5.23%
Nashville 13 8.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 12:00 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
FAA has objected to proposals over 900 feet in Jersey City. The tallest building in JC, 99 Hudson, is 900 feet tall. Originally proposed as a taller building (995 ft) the height was reduced to appease the FAA.
This is actually (thankfully) not true.
In JC, on the waterfront area, you need FAA approval for any building higher than 833ft tall for them to do an impact study. The developer of 99 Hudson themselves submitted a 900ft tall building to the FAA for approval, and FAA approved the building at a final height of 911ft above sea level (900ft tall building + 11ft of ground elevation) with no issues. The FAA never reduced the height and they never yet were submitted a plan for a supertall that they rejected, so it is quite possible that they can approve future buildings at 1000+ ft in the area. In addition, there are actually no flight patterns that go over the buildings in Jersey City, as there is a flight path along the Hudson river, and a holding pattern for planes over the New York bay itself, with Newark Liberty flight paths going North to South, not east to west. The planes that overfly Jersey City waterfront and Manhattan are well above the 2000ft height.
Due to the runways at Newark Liberty, I think even Newark can have supertalls, despite the airport being fairly close.

The reason why Boston is so screwed is because the geniuses designing Logan made runways in an almost 360 degree pattern...as a result there are FAA height restrictions extending in a circle over the whole airport in all directions.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-19-2021 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 01:08 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not Boston.

Highest you can build is 880' at Lord and Taylor Site. Or the area behind the garden.. you may be able to get over 925'.

But then you have to fight all the NIMBYs.

My vote is Miami, Austin, Dallas or Charlotte.
Didn't realize the exact height limits. That's a bummer because Boston could use several more skyscrapers in the 800-1200 foot range, or so.

If I had to rank the chances, of the cities I listed, it would go from most likely to least likely, like this--

Miami
Austin
Dallas
Jersey City
Seattle
Nashville
Las Vegas
Boston
Phoenix

Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Didn't realize the exact height limits. That's a bummer because Boston could use several more skyscrapers in the 800-1200 foot range, or so.

If I had to rank the chances, of the cities I listed, it would go from most likely to least likely, like this--

Miami
Austin
Dallas
Jersey City
Seattle
Nashville
Las Vegas
Boston
Phoenix
Downtown Phoenix really couldn't because of the airport, downtown is right in the flight path. You could build it in uptown, but it wouldn't make too much sense.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:31 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Miami
Austin
Dallas
Jersey City
Seattle
Nashville
Las Vegas
Boston
Phoenix
im content. too many super talls sterilizes the area. ie, NYCs super talls have been working against the city's vibe since construction. Boston's 600+ footers are pretty bland at steet level.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:49 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I think building heights in Boston are capped below 1000 feet because of Logan Airport. I think the max height is something like 700 feet.
There is actually one spot zoned for 1000ft and close to 2 of the city's 3 tallest: here.

Here's that spot circled on the FAA's height restriction map:

There are talks about the Hynes Convention Center being sold by the Mass Convention Center Authority for private redevelopment. If that happens, then there's a chance Boston could get a 1000ft tower at the sweet spot. However, I'd call it pretty unlikely.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:13 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
im content. too many super talls sterilizes the area. ie, NYCs super talls have been working against the city's vibe since construction. Boston's 600+ footers are pretty bland at steet level.
Supertalls have absolutely no impact at street level, it is all about how their podiums are designed, just like any other highrise. Most NYC supertalls look fine at street level, no better or worse than other buildings, and most even enhance it.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
There is actually one spot zoned for 1000ft and close to 2 of the city's 3 tallest: here.

Here's that spot circled on the FAA's height restriction map:

There are talks about the Hynes Convention Center being sold by the Mass Convention Center Authority for private redevelopment. If that happens, then there's a chance Boston could get a 1000ft tower at the sweet spot. However, I'd call it pretty unlikely.
Now add in Shadow Laws. Reduces it down to 800 something feet at Hynes.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Supertalls have absolutely no impact at street level, it is all about how their podiums are designed, just like any other highrise. Most NYC supertalls look fine at street level, no better or worse than other buildings, and most even enhance it.
Strongly. Very strongly, Disagree with this point. Supertalls and skyscrapers in general sterilize communities. But thats neither here nor there.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 10-19-2021 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-19-2021, 02:21 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Now add in Shadow Laws. Reduces it down to 800 something feet at Hynes.
What would it cast shadows on? The Comm Ave Mall?

Do you have a map or something?

Old 10-19-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What would it cast shadows on? The Comm Ave Mall?

Do you have a map or something?
Copley Plaza and Comm Ave.
also, No because its competitor site.

Just look up shadow laws in Boston. Pretty easy to find
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City