Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 02:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times

Advertisements

I got a huge laugh and nodded in agreement from this article by someone who moved from NY to So. Carolina. She's a good writer with all the colorful descriptions of her experience.
- sweat goblin
- dive bombing insects
- Southern heat feels as if you're experiencing the effects of climate change happening in real time
- walk outside as if you hit a steamed wet towel

https://www.insider.com/why-im-movin...ew-york-2022-6

I agree with her 100% and I'm in Florida originally from the dry west coast. The summers are brutal. Late Spring and early fall are hot too. It is ridiculously humid for outdoor sports people. We played 2 1/2 hours the other day in 95 degree weather and my tennis shoes are soaked with sweat.. it's so dang humid, just one day later and they're still wet!!! Stuck them under a fan outside to dry off. I wasn't the only one who was soaked with sweat dripping like we leaped into a pool. Another guy in the drill class had leg cramps. Really starting to reconsider enduring the higher cost of more comfortable living year around on the west coast.

Last edited by frankrj; 06-13-2022 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 02:56 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
I'm originally from the Kingsport, TN area, which is a part of the metropolitan "tri-cities" region of northeastern Tennessee & southwestern Virginia.

It includes 3 main cities: Kingsport (population 54k), Johnson City (population 71k) and Bristol TN/VA (population 27k & 17k).

I moved back in mid 2017 from NYC, in order to be closer to, and spend time with, a sick family member. I lived back there for 3 years, and moved back to Brooklyn in September 2020.

It was a HUGE culture shock, lifestyle shift and major adjustment for those 3 years, to say the least. It was great being close to family, but I was beyond ready to come back when I did.

I could never move back to that region again. The only part of TN I would consider would be the Nashville area.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:20 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Born in Orange, California but raised in Bellflower, California. Bellflower was a ghetto back when I was last there in 2006 I can't even imagine what it's like nowadays. I would never move back to that area of Los Angeles. I'd definitely move to Buena Park or Cypress in northern OC where I've spent time in and loved it as a teen, but I wouldn't move to those Gateway cities I grew up in, hell nah. I saw too much gang violence and drugs and wouldn't want to be surrounded by that environment again.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Born in Taipei and lived there on and off, partially raised in a San Gabriel Valley suburb of Los Angeles that resembles a lot of other San Gabriel Valley suburbs.

I'd move back to Taipei--I love the place! Architecturally looks pretty bad in a lot of places since a lot of these were buildings rapidly put up to take in a massive population surge but all the plants trying to grow everywhere and people putting out a bit of greenery of their own give it a kind of weirdly lush decrepit look. There's always something going on at all hours of the day, but it's not all that loud of a city. I love the food there and walking about is a joy with the alleys and getting around or out is really convenient. People are super nice.

SGV suburbs--no to the exact one I partially grew up in as it's built almost as the antithesis of Taipei though there's some great food and good people there. I might be amenable to certain SGV cities, but I don't really plan or particularly want to.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Born in Orange, California but raised in Bellflower, California. Bellflower was a ghetto back when I was last there in 2006 I can't even imagine what it's like nowadays. I would never move back to that area of Los Angeles. I'd definitely move to Buena Park or Cypress in northern OC where I've spent time in and loved it as a teen, but I wouldn't move to those Gateway cities I grew up in, hell nah. I saw too much gang violence and drugs and wouldn't want to be surrounded by that environment again.

This honestly doesn't look terrible to me as far as Southern California goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5H5molOgQ

Some pretty decent restaurants, too: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...90917503325776

It's got a taco nazo location--I'm sold!

Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
I grew up in the Denver area and pretty much every single day I wish I was there and not in Chicago, where we moved recently. But we actually plan to move back abroad for a while and there is almost no chance I'd come back to Chicago and a strong possibility I'd come back to Denver. I don't love it there but home is home and honestly Colorado is a phenomenal home to have.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 565,754 times
No.

I grew up with a very progressive, feminist Mom who, at the age of 7-8 (I am still amazed who talked to a 7 yrs old about that?! Looking back I’m very grateful she gave me that talk.) sat me down and seriously told me “I don’t want you and your siblings grow up in one city, meeting the same friends all the time, doing the same things all the time and going to the same places all the time. Life won’t be elevated if you stay in one place.”

Naturally we didn’t grow up in just one city.

I lived in three continents by the time I was 27. We moved 4 times (3 states) in the last 2 yrs, it’s a tad crazy but we are happily settled.

Rolling Stones gather no moss? I guess.

I can’t imagine living in one city, one state, one country your whole life, but I understand why many do, and I respect that. (Stability is important and necessary especially in children’s life.)

Now I have a 13 yrs old daughter who always wants to be on the road, who likes to fly on the airplane or go on long road trips and constantly asks to travel.-now the wanderlust saga continues.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:22 PM

853 posts, read 336,871 times
I grew up in Utica, NY which is one of the most depressing parts of the rust belt. I definitely would not go back.

I like Minneapolis but I have thought about moving at some point in the future, probably to some place smaller. As I get older I like hiking and the outdoors more and am less in need of the stimulation of a city so I may go someplace smaller with more nature.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:56 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This honestly doesn't look terrible to me as far as Southern California goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5H5molOgQ

Some pretty decent restaurants, too: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...90917503325776

It's got a taco nazo location--I'm sold!
I used to drive my dad on that road up to the Downey Kaiser and I have to say that it is gentrifying and is better now than what the other person experienced.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I grew up in Utica, NY which is one of the most depressing parts of the rust belt. I definitely would not go back.

I like Minneapolis but I have thought about moving at some point in the future, probably to some place smaller. As I get older I like hiking and the outdoors more and am less in need of the stimulation of a city so I may go someplace smaller with more nature.
When were you last in Utica?

I actually like the place, but I've never seen what it was like in the past. It's got cute neighborhoods and really diverse set of eateries for such a small place including some pretty fantastic southeast Asian eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City