Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Boston, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 12:48 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Moving back to my hometown (Daytona Beach, Florida) would not be my preference; and truthfully the area has only gotten worse since I lived there.

However, it's not the worst place, either.

But to answer the OP's question directly; no, not if I had any choice in the matter.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:41 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
I have lived in Vancouver for 30 years. I would move back to Ontario in a heartbeat but not my actual hometown. It only has 15,000 so it would be too big a shock but I would move back to the Metro area that it is a part of.......London.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:57 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
My “hometown” (where I grew up) being a St. Louis suburb, no. I would never move from the city back to the ‘burbs. Unless you have kids, the suburban way of life offers almost nothing of value…unless you’re into cookie-cutter homes, strip malls, fast food joints, traffic, very little diversity, and lack of culture. Basically, city life fits me quite well.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:47 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
I grew up in Kansas City, Mo., and while I don't see myself ever moving back, I know I'd have no problem doing so if I had to.

I loved growing up there, and since the 1990s, it's only gotten better (for the most part; the side of town I grew up on has deteriorated, but its two most recent mayors, including current mayor Quinton Lucas, also grew up in the neighborhood where I lived).

Pluses: High QOL, reasonable COL. Great barbecue, but that's not all. Punches above its weight on the arts-and-culture front. Green and attractive. Residents are friendly and outgoing. Has the Country Club Plaza and your city doesn't. Starter streetcar line being expanded. Surrounding countryside has many interesting small towns. Blue island in a red sea.

Minuses: It's a drive-everywhere place, that streetcar notwithstanding. Nearest big cities are four hours away. Blue island in a red sea.

I did, however, vow when I was in college that I wouldn't live in a city without a subway. That limits my choices (I live in one now). Add LRT and my choices grow (and include nearby St. Louis), but they still don't rope in KC (yet).

Old 11-10-2021, 06:41 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Probably not at this point.

Cost of living is out of control. I wouldn't be able to afford the life there that I have here.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 AM

509 posts, read 432,607 times
I grew up in the downtown area of Savannah, GA. Currently in Virginia for the past 9 years. Move back? Yes possibly for retirement. I actually have my eyes set further north for my next move (like Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh) since I have lived in the South my whole life and want something new. I loved the vibe in all three of those places from the times I have visited. Love Savannah too, but I have plenty of family there still so can visit whenever I like.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Theres a good chance i'll move back to Boston area some day. No immediate plans to do so

Old 11-10-2021, 06:55 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
The Southern California suburb where I grew up is very densely populated with most real estate priced in the seven figures. For people with exceptionally high incomes who want proximity to the beach and luxury retail, an excellent and strongly competitive school system, or are members of certain ethnic groups highly represented in the area, it is a very desirable place that is not going to get any cheaper. For those of us who have different preferences and priorities, the area is not such a good fit and I have no regrets about moving elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:15 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Grew up in Wisconsin and raised my kids there. It’s a nice place but I prefer Nevada where I have been for 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City