Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 11:15 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This honestly doesn't look terrible to me as far as Southern California goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5H5molOgQ

Some pretty decent restaurants, too: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...90917503325776

It's got a taco nazo location--I'm sold!
LOL I haven't been down Bellflower blvd in years, that area may look nice but the rest of the city not so much. I remember the gang DV13 who was around our street, they'd always do drivebys and jump rival gang members. I remember the sketchy dudes always selling drugs in the Hollywood video parking lot on Alondra and Lakewood blvd. Things may have changed, for example that Hollywood video is not there anymore, it's now a Fitness center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 11:18 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I used to drive my dad on that road up to the Downey Kaiser and I have to say that it is gentrifying and is better now than what the other person experienced.
Bellflower blvd was always nice looking but it's like putting a smiley face mask on a demon's face. Maybe things have changed since the early 2000s, but the city was a gang infested hell and as a kid who grew up there it was not some nice city. I always had to watch my back and being a minority (White kid among a majority Hispanic populace) there was tension.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:39 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Hometown is Charlotte. Was born there and lived 25 years there.

I would move back but I wouldn’t want to. There’s a lot more cities I would choose over Charlotte: San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Miami, Las Vegas, San Diego, Tampa are where I rather live.

It’s a great city but it’d be nice to live in a different place since you only live once. The west coast & southwest seem alluring. I would completely love to live in Phoenix.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:31 AM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Roanoke, Virginia. Small town, small minds, no diversity, middle of nowhere.

I will never go back. Currently living in Philly.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:39 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
LOL I haven't been down Bellflower blvd in years, that area may look nice but the rest of the city not so much. I remember the gang DV13 who was around our street, they'd always do drivebys and jump rival gang members. I remember the sketchy dudes always selling drugs in the Hollywood video parking lot on Alondra and Lakewood blvd. Things may have changed, for example that Hollywood video is not there anymore, it's now a Fitness center.
Not saying you move back there, but looking around at stats makes it appear that violent crime rates dipped substantially in the 2010s and it appears the peak was around 2005-2007 where it was looking pretty bad. Looking at Yelp for bougier stuff (cocktail bar, brewery, standard issue gentrification) and you see that a lot of things were opened only in the last several years.

I loiter in and around LA a few weeks a year usually. Any highlights you'd actually recommend in and around there? Only thing I remember from way back then in the area is the Anarchy Library in neighboring Downey, but nothing else aside from that.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-14-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-14-2022, 01:55 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
Cleveland, Ohio; and Hell no! Never.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:50 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Undisclosed location in Arkansas.
Dear goodness no.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:52 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Long Island, NY…..great place to grow up when I did and visit but would not go back to live. My body has become acclimated to year round warm weather.

I actually knocked on the front door of the house I grew up in when I was in NY last week. A nice couple let me inside and gave me a tour of the house. First time inside in nearly 40 years ! Completely remodeled and looked nothing like the house I remembered.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:56 PM

121 posts, read 96,949 times
Minneapolis never

Old 06-14-2022, 03:39 PM

232 posts, read 189,684 times
Providence, RI, No. Nor anywhere in New England or most of the Northeast for a variety of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City