Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

MD that’s kind of what I’m saying. Boston has many Ultra high rise ultra-premium rents that DC has way fewer of. I think the high-rise buildings can( and have to) charge sky-high rents to make up the difference and because of the views, they deliver. After a certain height, each additional floor becomes very expensive at the margin.

Really couldn't answer your second question. Anecdotally Boston builds most of its new luxury items very close to downtown. Out in the neighborhoods, it’s more a bunch of small vacant lots in areas without super high levels of attractiveness and strong neighborhood character/pushback.

On balance, Boston median rents aren’t much higher than DCs maybe 5-10%. Or at least that is what I usually see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 12:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
MD that’s kind of what I’m saying. Boston has many Ultra high rise ultra-premium rents that DC has way fewer of. I think the high-rise buildings can( and have to) charge sky-high rents to make up the difference and because of the views, they deliver. After a certain height, each additional floor becomes very expensive at the margin.

Really couldn't answer your second question. Anecdotally Boston builds most of its new luxury items very close to downtown. Out in the neighborhoods, it’s more a bunch of small vacant lots in areas without super high levels of attractiveness and strong neighborhood character/pushback.

On balance, Boston median rents aren’t much higher than DCs maybe 5-10%. Or at least that is what I usually see.

I guess the point I’ve been making is someone moving to DC can live in a brand new apartment building with all the amenities for the same price as they can in downtown Chicago and Atlanta. I posted the options so people were aware.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I guess the point I’ve been making is someone moving to DC can live in a brand new apartment building with all the amenities for the same price as they can in downtown Chicago and Atlanta. I posted the options so people were aware.
This is true. I just didn't see it in the OPs ask. It sounded like OP was okay with modest digs and a "small townhouse (i.e. triple-decker)- that stuff's available in Boston and some to the cities abutting it.

The luxury with all the amenities is out of the question- doesn't exist in Boston for normal folks. Unless you secure an income-restricted unit of course. DC will offer you more bells and whistles for sure as a regular joe. The housing stock is just that much newer and better.

I dont think DCs floor is like ATLor Chicagos though, but OP can be well above "the floor" so perhaps that's irrelevant.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:26 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Class A units is I don’t disagree. Never have. but DC is legit expensive on average. I think it’s Class A is cheaper because height limits and a newer construction being the norm.

The high end of Boston is more on par with NYC SF. But on balance DC is not much cheaper than Boston one median rent and us more expensive to buy a home. The quality of housing in Boston is just generally way lower.
Yeah, DC has a larger share of modern class A buildings. Chicago and Boston have a ton of older buildings, flats/deckers. If you are willing to live in class B, Chicago will have a ton of options in safe, walkable areas. Boston will still be more expensive, but you can find places that narrow the price gap with DC.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, DC has a larger share of modern class A buildings. Chicago and Boston have a ton of older buildings, flats/deckers. If you are willing to live in class B, Chicago will have a ton of options in safe, walkable areas. Boston will still be more expensive, but you can find places that narrow the price gap with DC.
That’s the appeal of DC moving forward. Why live in Chicago or Boston when you can live in luxury in DC for the same price or cheaper?

Old 11-22-2021, 01:48 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
That’s the appeal of DC moving forward. Why live in Chicago or Boston when you can live in luxury in DC for the same price or cheaper?
Ton of high end apartments in Chicago that are far cheaper than what you'd find in Boston and likely DC. By far the easiest city to be a renter.. So much supply.

As far as the OPs inquiry, I think a visit to these cities is the best way to determine which is best. Boston and DC are the most expensive, but are major tech hubs. Chicago is the biggest, with the most neighborhoods to choose from. Boston is the only coastal city, but all three are surrounded by water.

IDK. I love all three. Having lived in both the city of Boston and the city of Chicago, I'd probably choose Chicago. But Cambridge is right there for me.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Different vibes.

Chicago is gonna be cheaper with more options more of a big city feel and less political probably the most approachable. Boston is laid out very differently than either with a lot more in nature/outdoors and significantly safer than the other two cities. Different personality types in the three cities DC is more type A and black wealth, Chicago is more blue-collar, humble and everyman, and traditional big city, Boston is more civic/intellectual and has far more immigrants living in the city. So it all comes down to what's best for that individual.

Additionally, most people haven't lived luxury and therefore don't really hold it in such high-esteem. Me, myself? I really dislike the massive new apartment building that feels like fancy dorms and self-contained cities. I really prefer rowhomes and triple deckers-genuinely, I do. The city itself is more important.

I found the DC subway system to be better than Bostons(and significantly more expensive/cleaner) but Boston is certainly more walkable and the traffic is not so all-encompassing as in DC IMO. Less law enforcement/traffic enforcement too.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:01 PM

154 posts, read 115,768 times
Quote:
DC ain't cheaper than Chicago my guy and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Different vibes.

Chicago is gonna be cheaper with more options more of a big city feel and less political probably the most approachable. Boston is laid out very differently than either with a lot more in nature/outdoors and significantly safer than the other two cities. Different personality types in the three cities. So it all comes down to what's best for that individual

Additionally, most people haven't lived luxury and therefore don't really hold it in such high-esteem. The city itself is more important.

I found the DC subway system to be better than Bostons but Boston is more walkable and the traffic is not so all-encompassing as in DC IMO. Less law enforcement/traffic enforcement too.
Obviously every city offers something different. That’s been the case the last 20 years which points to their individual growth rates. The new difference for DC is the outlier here that hasn’t been the case until now. You can now move into a luxury apartment building in DC proper with all the city and professional population has to offer for the same price as Chicago and Atlanta which has never been the case over the past 20 years.

This is new territory for anyone looking to move into DC. The next 5 years will be interesting as people catch on to the price leveling of each city.

I do think the stats I have posted also shed light on the direction of each of these cities. Anyone living in DC will tell you this city is headed for an overwhelmingly high-rise city. If developers can find land, they are building and you can guarantee the building will be in the 8-15 story range. Blame height limits for that. DC just builds taller than other cities because it has no choice.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-22-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-22-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
DC ain't cheaper than Chicago my guy and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
See below:

Quote:
For units under $2,000, here is the breakdown in Boston, Chicago, and Washington D.C.:

DC has 1,076 class A units under $2,000

Chicago has 696 class A units under $2,000

Boston has 18 class A units under $2,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City