Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 02:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ton of high end apartments in Chicago that are far cheaper than what you'd find in Boston and likely DC. By far the easiest city to be a renter.. So much supply.

As far as the OPs inquiry, I think a visit to these cities is the best way to determine which is best. Boston and DC are the most expensive, but are major tech hubs. Chicago is the biggest, with the most neighborhoods to choose from. Boston is the only coastal city, but all three are surrounded by water.

IDK. I love all three. Having lived in both the city of Boston and the city of Chicago, I'd probably choose Chicago. But Cambridge is right there for me.
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
For units under $2,000, here is the breakdown in Boston, Chicago, and Washington D.C.:

DC has 1,076 class A units under $2,000

Chicago has 696 class A units under $2,000

Boston has 18 class A units under $2,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 04:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ton of high end apartments in Chicago that are far cheaper than what you'd find in Boston and likely DC. By far the easiest city to be a renter.. So much supply.

As far as the OPs inquiry, I think a visit to these cities is the best way to determine which is best. Boston and DC are the most expensive, but are major tech hubs. Chicago is the biggest, with the most neighborhoods to choose from. Boston is the only coastal city, but all three are surrounded by water.

IDK. I love all three. Having lived in both the city of Boston and the city of Chicago, I'd probably choose Chicago. But Cambridge is right there for me.
I don’t know that I would say there are tons of high end apartments that are cheaper than what you’d find in Boston/DC. At least pre-pandemic the truly high end/ultra modern apartments in the downtown core (Loop, River North, Streeterville,etc) are pretty darn pricey. Maybe slightly less than DC/Boston, but the average person won’t be saving a lot by moving to Chicago vs DC/Boston for those types of apartments.

Where Chicago shines to comparable cities like Boston/DC is that when you get outside of the core, you can have plenty of affordable options in really cool neighborhoods that are very accessible to downtime. The housing stock is older (although many times nicely renovated inside). But if someone thinks they will find Sunbelt prices for really high end apartments in Chicago, you’d be mistaken. You won’t be saving much for those types of apartments in Chicago vs DC/Boston. Atlanta, Dallas, etc would be better options.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:45 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Per these links. Apartments under $2,000:

16,484 in Chicago https://www.apartments.com/chicago-il/under-2000/

7,220 in ATL https://www.apartments.com/atlanta-ga/under-2000/

4917 in DC https://www.apartments.com/washington-dc/under-2000/
4636 in Boston https://www.apartments.com/boston-ma/under-2000/

so I gotta say that DC is way more similar to Boston in terms of price than ATL or Chicago.

On a per-capita basis DC and Boston are virtually identical in terms of available apartments under $2,000
So I can’t speak on DC vs. any of those other cities but,

I still would go with expect to pay $2000+ for a studio that is in the most desirable areas, newer, etc. There are lots of deals where they do provide 2 (sometimes 3) months of free rent that may make the Base Rent less than $2,000 over the term of the lease, however, those newer buildings typically have monthly fees that take it back above $2,000.

The older buildings are typical $1800-$1900 after all the fees excluding car.

Since the OP has a car, expect to pay probably at least $100 for parking a month if not significantly higher. Charlotte is often times free/complimentary parking.

That’s not to say DC has all those fees and Chicago, Boston, etc doesn’t (one can only assume parking is high in Chicago & Boston also) . But I feel like for someone actually moving, knowing what to expect with parking fees, etc. that’s relevant to their budget.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don’t know that I would say there are tons of high end apartments that are cheaper than what you’d find in Boston/DC. At least pre-pandemic the truly high end/ultra modern apartments in the downtown core (Loop, River North, Streeterville,etc) are pretty darn pricey. Maybe slightly less than DC/Boston, but the average person won’t be saving a lot by moving to Chicago vs DC/Boston for those types of apartments.

Where Chicago shines to comparable cities like Boston/DC is that when you get outside of the core, you can have plenty of affordable options in really cool neighborhoods that are very accessible to downtime. The housing stock is older (although many times nicely renovated inside). But if someone thinks they will find Sunbelt prices for really high end apartments in Chicago, you’d be mistaken. You won’t be saving much for those types of apartments in Chicago vs DC/Boston. Atlanta, Dallas, etc would be better options.
I think most people are stuck on pre-pandemic prices. That data is over 2-years old now. DC even has more luxury apartments under $2,200. I mean at this point, nobody on this entire message board can deny that DC has more brand new cheaper apartments than Chicago. This isn’t opinion, this is fact using the website apartment.com. This isn’t even factoring that DC has more apartments at that price point with a fraction of the population of Chicago proper.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:00 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Luxury notwithstanding there is an ample supply of decent 1 bedrooms and studios at $2k or below all over all of these cities. Its not that hard a price point. other things are more important, unless luxury is an imperative. but it wasn't mentioned by OP

Old 11-22-2021, 05:07 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
See below:
“Class A” simply has a lot to do with newness. (Not to mention amenities like AC isn’t really needed in Boston)

Like no ****. DC is a newer city than Chicago or Boston.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:26 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
“Class A” simply has a lot to do with newness. (Not to mention amenities like AC isn’t really needed in Boston)

Like no ****. DC is a newer city than Chicago or Boston.
It’s more than that. The Boston housing market is so tight that landlords have little incentive to continually upgrade units. The rental housing stock quality is really lousy. I’m sure that coming from a city with lots of new construction like Charlotte, the typical ratty Boston apartment will look like slum housing. That’s generally true of any southern city.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:34 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s more than that. The Boston housing market is so tight that landlords have little incentive to continually upgrade units. The rental housing stock quality is really lousy. I’m sure that coming from a city with lots of new construction like Charlotte, the typical ratty Boston apartment will look like slum housing. That’s generally true of any southern city.
But how can that be? 27 years ago they told us rent control kept landlords from being incentivized to do proper upkeep and maintenance?!
/s

Old 11-22-2021, 06:48 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
*laughs in metro nyc*

Old 11-23-2021, 07:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Very true. However, the OP did specify that they wanted an East Coast tech hub that doesn't get too hot and has good seafood. Boston's hard to beat with that criteria, and if they do get a $100k gig, they should be able to afford a decent apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City