Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Downtown Boise vs. Downtown SLC
Downtown Boise 18 35.29%
Downtown SLC 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:48 PM

117 posts, read 80,553 times

Advertisements

Which is better in the following categories?

Restaurants
Bars/Nightlife
Walkability
Urbanity/Vibrancy
Shopping
Housing Stock
Parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 04:08 PM

365 posts, read 229,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Which is better in the following categories?

Restaurants
Bars/Nightlife
Walkability
Urbanity/Vibrancy
Shopping
Housing Stock
Parks
Restaurants - Boise
Bars/Nightlife - Boise
Walkability - Boise
Urbanity - Boise
Vibrancy - Tie
Shopping - SLC
Housing Stock - SLC

I'd take the compact, more urban-feeling Downtown Boise.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:41 PM

Why are people voting for SLC?

Old 12-08-2021, 11:01 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
I would say it’s probably closer than one would think because Downtown Boise has come a good ways but SLC has a more mature urban fabric and a much better transit system.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:09 PM

393 posts, read 261,157 times
I am voting for Salt Lake's downtown; it's bigger and has a more urban feel.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
I am voting for Salt Lake's downtown; it's bigger and has a more urban feel.
And youve been to both? I suspect most people who are voting for SLC havent actually been to both downtowns.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:46 AM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
I’ve seen them both.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:34 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Why are people voting for SLC?
You have to understand, a fair number of people voting in the poll very well may not have seen either one, or at least not Boise, and are forming impressions based on Salt Lake having 3.5 times the regional population.

Boise, pound for pound, has better traditional urban form and density, and probably more interesting businesses/shops too, and it has a very interesting concentration of businesses to boot (the Basque District is interesting, as is the Grafitti Alley area, and some of the quirky shops in town such as Re-POP Gifts, one of the best fandom stores I have seen, anywhere. Just some really neat urban design and feel here, and the river trail they have here, which I can't remember the name of, was also beautiful.

Salt Lake has a very clean and good feel to it, and has been making better decisions on urban form ever since it was kind of hurt at the start by the "Plat of Zion" layout, and other post-war decision making which exacerbated that. This is worth a listen for anyone curious on how all cities, not just Salt Lake, are built, and really delves in, in greater detail:

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/plat-of-zion/

This isn't really relevant to the point.. but it is super cool how Temple Square is point zero. Point Zeros aren't common in American cities as they were in historical places like Paris, and even the whole Temple complex, regardless of religious affiliation is beautiful and worth spending a few hours at, esp the LDS Conference Center and Tabernacle.

Salt Lake does have several advantages though. Boise, while it has a very inviting downtown, it is very clear also just how much more compact it does feel than Boise. There are trendy, urban, walkable neighborhoods in multiple directions from Downtown Salt Lake, while Boise really just has North End in this regard. I know we are talking downtowns, and I did vote Boise because I don't think most have any idea how traditionally urban and active it feels, but this certainly plays into what you are thinking. Shopping also has to go to Salt Lake City. It has 2 urban malls, City Creek Center of which is especially successful. Pound for pound, it almost definitely has one of the best and seemingly healthiest retail scenes for a city of its size, and various downtowns in much larger metros (Dallas, Houston) wouldn't necessarily compare. Lastly, I can see where the extensive light rail system Salt Lake has, alone, would perhaps push Downtown Salt Lake over Downtown Boise because of the bigger feel and gravitas it gives the area. It can literally take you all over the region.

Anyways, I recommend seeing both, but, just speaking to downtown and the urban qualities of downtown, I'd prob give Boise a slight nod in spite of the transit and retail advantages mentioned (because, I didn't compare small business or local shopping, which might be a bit more nuanced). I would like to make it back and see both more thoroughly.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:52 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Y

Salt Lake does have several advantages though. Boise, while it has a very inviting downtown, it is very clear also just how much more compact it does feel than Boise. There are trendy, urban, walkable neighborhoods in multiple directions from Downtown Salt Lake, while Boise really just has North End in this regard. I know we are talking downtowns, and I did vote Boise because I don't think most have any idea how traditionally urban and active it feels, but this certainly plays into what you are thinking. Shopping also has to go to Salt Lake City. It has 2 urban malls, City Creek Center of which is especially successful. Pound for pound, it almost definitely has one of the best and seemingly healthiest retail scenes for a city of its size, and various downtowns in much larger metros (Dallas, Houston) wouldn't necessarily compare. Lastly, I can see where the extensive light rail system Salt Lake has, alone, would perhaps push Downtown Salt Lake over Downtown Boise because of the bigger feel and gravitas it gives the area. It can literally take you all over the region.

Anyways, I recommend seeing both, but, just speaking to downtown and the urban qualities of downtown, I'd prob give Boise a slight nod in spite of the transit and retail advantages mentioned (because, I didn't compare small business or local shopping, which might be a bit more nuanced). I would like to make it back and see both more thoroughly.
Actually downtown Boise is much more compact than downtown Salt Lake. In addition to the Northend, a person can easily walk to other trendy neighborhoods that surround downtown like the Eastend, West Downtown, The Luck District across the river and the neighborhood adjacent to BSU which is also downtown and across the river. Downtown Boise is basically surrounded by historic neighborhoods.

Downtown Salt Lake has extremely wide streets which makes it seem less inviting to walk around in. The west side of downtown is a homeless paradise and not very inviting and one of the few city parks in SLC isn't a place you would want to hang out on a summer afternoon. On the flip side, downtown Boise has small walkable blocks with narrow streets except for Front and Myrtle which are major streets that funnel traffic in and out of downtown via the I-184 Connector.

Downtown Salt Lake is heavy on franchises and chain stores and a mall owned by the LDS Church, while downtown Boise is heavy on locally owned boutique stores with some national chains thrown in to the mix such as North Face. Downtown Boise's local farm to table dining scene is more interesting imo than SLC's downtown dining scene. I've seen Boise's downtown described as "boutique" many times and I tend to agree.

https://www.vogue.com/article/boise-...d-travel-guide

Both cities have great downtowns that have come a long way the past 10 years or so.

The river trail is the Boise River Greenbelt. This really sets Boise apart because not many cities have a prized trout river fed by multiple headwaters in an alpine wilderness flowing through their downtown areas and with a paved bike/pedestrian path on both sides spanning the length of the city.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 12-11-2021 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: added info about the greenbelt

Old 12-11-2021, 01:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Salt Lake.

And I love Real Housewives of Salt Lake. Irrelevant but I have a new found love for SLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City