Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most naturally beautiful metro?
Baltimore, MD 0 0%
Boston, MA 18 25.35%
Hartford, CT 0 0%
New York City, NY 10 14.08%
Philadelphia, PA 4 5.63%
Pittsburgh, PA 27 38.03%
Providence, RI 3 4.23%
Richmond, VA 3 4.23%
Washington, DC 5 7.04%
Other 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 12:26 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I'll be honest. I didn't know Pittsburgh was even considered a northeast city. I always felt most considered it more Midwestern but for the sake of this poll I'd choose that for the rolling hills.
Pennsylvania has been a Northeastern state since its existence; those who consider Pittsburgh "Midwestern" either don't have any grasp of geography or just lazily conflate the Midwest with "anything west of the Northeast Corridor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 12:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Pennsylvania has been a Northeastern state since its existence; those who consider Pittsburgh "Midwestern" either don't have any grasp of geography or just lazily conflate the Midwest with "anything west of the Northeast Corridor."
In fairness, Pittsburgh is like half an hour away from the Ohio border, and Ohio is considered to be super duper Midwestern, so I can understand the confusion many have.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:14 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
In fairness, Pittsburgh is like half an hour away from the Ohio border, and Ohio is considered to be super duper Midwestern, so I can understand the confusion many have.
NE Ohio arguably is similar to many places in the Interior Northeast and was settled by people from CT. So, it may come down to what part of OH.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:52 PM

824 posts, read 711,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NE Ohio arguably is similar to many places in the Interior Northeast and was settled by people from CT. So, it may come down to what part of OH.
I think it’s also because people have mental images of the northeast consisting of large, very urban coastal cities with highly educated populations while the Midwest is made up of corn-fields, small collapsed industrial cities, and towns. Anything that doesn’t fit those stereotypes makes people confused, even people from those areas themselves. I remember reading a post in another forum where someone was writing that they now lived in the northeast but grew up in Cleveland so they know what “small-town” life is like. Or there is of course the assumption that everyone in the Midwest lives or interacts with a farm on a daily basis. It’s like someone in the Midwest assuming that someone living in Boston works on a fishing vessel.

Old 12-31-2021, 02:49 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
It's a little weird that people aren't questioning DC being a NE city. It's technically in the south, and most people truly from the northeast states do not consider DC to be in the northeast at all.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:52 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Pittsburgh- easily.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:00 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It's a little weird that people aren't questioning DC being a NE city. It's technically in the south, and most people truly from the northeast states do not consider DC to be in the northeast at all.

DC is sort of a transition region and it pretty integrated into the I-95, Acela corridor, so I'm not really too surprised it was included. But Richmond is really head scratchier for me.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:03 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
It has the same distance to Maryland and West Virginia.....Southern states.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:09 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Voted Providence for Block Island and the nice beaches in South County and MA’s South Coast.
Yep. It’s easier to have scenic in coastal areas. The Providence MSA goes from Watch Hill on the Connecticut line to Fairhaven MA. It’s a ton of coastline.

The view of Manhattan is the biggest wow factor for urban scenery.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
Hmm.
I’m a big fan of Pittsburgh but I just don’t see it leading here. The scenery is very much a one trick pony.
It’s hilly but the hills aren’t all that interesting or attractive. They kinda become monotonous pretty quickly.

I’ve always driven to Pittsburgh (from Richmond, been there 6 times) to visit. Western Virginian and Maryland are beautiful (high peaks, broad valleys) but most of northern WV and PA is just a less striking landscape that becomes redundant and ultimately peters out at the Ohio River. The built environment of Pittsburgh is great and the way the city interacts with the hills is cool but…. NYC, Washington and Boston have hills too, lots of them. Mountains even in their metro areas. But they also have rivers, bays, the ocean, beaches, salt marshes and swamps.

Honestly I’d rate Pittsburgh last out of all of these cities here for natural beauty. I rank it very high for urban beauty of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City