Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best option for someone wanting to start a small business?
Providence, Rhode Island 15 42.86%
Saint Petersburg, Florida 20 57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 12:04 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times

Advertisements

It’s interesting that you are comparing two cities such as Providence, Rhode Island, and St. Petersburg, Florida. I suspect there are specific reasons why you chose these two cities, and were not chosen randomly. I think you’ll be correct in assuming that Providence Rhode Island is a very progressive, liberal area. It probably has more gay night clubs per capita than probably almost any city in the country of its size with a population of approximately 180,000 people, except for the tourist traps such as Provincetown, or Key West. But, speaking of Provincetown you would be about two hours away from it. Providence also has a very large selection of restaurants. Since it is home to a very large Italian population combined with one of the top culinary schools in the nation, it has more than at share, perhaps more than almost any other city of its size. Atwells Avenue has approximately 12 consecutive blocks of top rated five star restaurants; comparing Providence to restaurants, would be like comparing Switzerland to banks. Rhode Island would offer you a very eclectic choice of things to do, I would not consider it homogeneous at all. If you like the idea of a change of seasons, Rhode Island could be the choice for you as well. There’s one thing to note about Rhode Island when it comes to winter, and that is most of the state is very low, similar to the Netherlands. Areas in Massachusetts are much higher ground, and seem to acquire much higher snow levels. For example, if you watch a national weather report in the middle of the winter time, you might notice the Polar Vortex coming down from Canada, it usually plunges right through the dead center of the country. It is typical of states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, etc will have much colder temperatures than Rhode Island. The ocean protects us. If you’re selling property in California, and you have a good amount to invest, Rhode Island might be a good choice as well, assuming that you were looking for a New England landscape lifestyle. Most of New England is expensive, with Boston metro area very comparative to that of California. For being less than an hour away, prices in the Providence area are a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 10:09 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaviolet View Post
can you please give me a quick snippet as to why without bringing up weather?

I had a feeling a would be getting a fair amount of Florida answers, but was hoping for a little more reasoning besides weather. I used to live in the Fort Lauderdale area and I definitely enjoyed the winters, but I found the summers to be quite unpleasant.
Mostly because Florida is far more business friendly.

I was just in St. Pete yesterday. The city is really growing up, it feels like a legit major city now. I was particularly impressed by how far Central Ave has come. Now it’s 3 straight miles of shops and restaurants with a lot of midrise residential mixed in. There used to be empty lots here and there, but now practically every inch is filled in with something fun.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:10 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Mostly because Florida is far more business friendly.

I was just in St. Pete yesterday. The city is really growing up, it feels like a legit major city now. I was particularly impressed by how far Central Ave has come. Now it’s 3 straight miles of shops and restaurants with a lot of midrise residential mixed in. There used to be empty lots here and there, but now practically every inch is filled in with something fun.
I need to get back down there. I was there last in '19. I am sure it has changed/improved even more.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:24 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Providence has Brown University. A world class university. Top medical school. The teaching hospitals that pair with it. It has a few very blue chip suburbs like Barrington and East Greenwich with top school systems. The neighborhoods around Brown University/College Hill are very desirable urban places. Boston is a trivial commuter rail ride away.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I need to get back down there. I was there last in '19. I am sure it has changed/improved even more.
Take your time, there are a lot of projects underway so it’s going to be even better in a couple years. Even 2 more 40+ story buildings.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 2,338 times
Based on everything we have read, and been told by family members, we will be choosing Rhode Island. Thanks everyone

Last edited by vanillaviolet; 01-16-2022 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Grammatical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City