Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 06:26 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t think having most homes post 1830 is unique to Boston. I’d be shocked if that weren’t the case save for some older European (maybe Asian?) villages or the Middle East.

But P Larsen, where do you live?
It’s not. NYC, Philly & Baltimore are just as historic (from a residential vernacular) as Boston save for a literal handful of homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 06:49 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post
Among these two Metro areas which provides better opportunities in the Financial sector and which offers better quality of life??
I think it depends on what part of the financial sector you work in, in finance. I think Charlotte has a really large edge in one area whereas Boston excels in another area of Finance.

However, Charlotte you can afford a better lifestyle, nicer home, cleaner area, etc for a very similar salary. Lots of younger people are moving from Boston/NYC/Philly/NJ/DC ---> Charlotte at the moment, so its become a magnet for people in their 20s and 30s.

I am 26, GenZ, and I would wholeheartedly choose Charlotte over Boston. More options for younger folk and its better for those who are just past that 'finding yourself' or 'living in a big city' stage of their life. Charlotte is great to build wealth and have some good investments. It is definitely down the line for me given the opportunities and lifestyle it provides compared to the overpriced and overtaxed for the quality you get Northeast. Another nod is that it is super easy to get to the mountains, lots of great unrestricted social life, politically balanced, tolerant, and great bang for your buck. Charlotte is a great spot and is attracting people my age for a reason.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:12 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think it depends on what part of the financial sector you work in, in finance. I think Charlotte has a really large edge in one area whereas Boston excels in another area of Finance.

However, Charlotte you can afford a better lifestyle, nicer home, cleaner area, etc for a very similar salary. Lots of younger people are moving from Boston/NYC/Philly/NJ/DC ---> Charlotte at the moment, so its become a magnet for people in their 20s and 30s.

I am 26, GenZ, and I would wholeheartedly choose Charlotte over Boston. More options for younger folk and its better for those who are just past that 'finding yourself' or 'living in a big city' stage of their life. Charlotte is great to build wealth and have some good investments. It is definitely down the line for me given the opportunities and lifestyle it provides compared to the overpriced and overtaxed for the quality you get Northeast. Another nod is that it is super easy to get to the mountains, lots of great unrestricted social life, politically balanced, tolerant, and great bang for your buck. Charlotte is a great spot and is attracting people my age for a reason.
By pretty much every measure Massachusetts has the pretty much best quality of life in the world.

I think one thing people overlook about the sunbelt it’s taxes might be a smidge lower (the gap is significantly smaller than people think) but there is the omnipresent HOA that covers huge swaths of those sunbelt metros which has all the drawbacks of an overbearing town without the equal protection requirements governments are obliged to. If you’re looking for those fancy new homes you’re typically stuck with an HOA. (About ~70% of new construction in the south is HOA, ~36% in the northeast) or you’re just in the same old stuff you see in the Northeast

Which to be fair, Charlotte is nowhere as bad as DFW or Florida

Unless your dedicated towards having a den you’ll never use and not needing a snow shovel

Old 02-12-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
By pretty much every measure Massachusetts has the pretty much best quality of life in the world.

I think one thing people overlook about the sunbelt it’s taxes might be a smidge lower (the gap is significantly smaller than people think) but there is the omnipresent HOA that covers huge swaths of those sunbelt metros which has all the drawbacks of an overbearing town without the equal protection requirements governments are obliged to. If you’re looking for those fancy new homes you’re typically stuck with an HOA. (About ~70% of new construction in the south is HOA, ~36% in the northeast) or you’re just in the same old stuff you see in the Northeast

Which to be fair, Charlotte is nowhere as bad as DFW or Florida

Unless your dedicated towards having a den you’ll never use and not needing a snow shovel
Yeah... if you are rich and socioeconomically ahead. Almost everyone I know who has moved to Charlotte has had their quality of life improve significantly. Boston is great on paper, sure, but it really benefits a certain group of people and thats it. Also- its kinda boring for people younger than 35. They are setting up shop in Charlotte, are able to go out and get happy hours, can afford a nice home with low taxes and no HOA (Or low HOA less than 200 a month), etc... MA doesnt work for everyone.

That argument is similar to the much dreaded and tone deaf "New York City is the best city in the world!" argument we both do not like. Yeah... for Who? lol.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah... if you are rich and socioeconomically ahead. Almost everyone I know who has moved to Charlotte has had their quality of life improve significantly. Boston is great on paper, sure, but it really benefits a certain group of people and thats it. Also- its kinda boring for people younger than 35. They are setting up shop in Charlotte, are able to go out and get happy hours, can afford a nice home with low taxes and no HOA (Or low HOA less than 200 a month), etc... MA doesnt work for everyone.

That argument is similar to the much dreaded and tone deaf "New York City is the best city in the world!" argument we both do not like. Yeah... for Who? lol.
But that’s just like not true. The social safety net in Massachusetts provides stability even for the working class that does not exist in the sunbelt.

Also the fact median incomes and median outcomes are much higher in Massachusetts than the south is a result of it being better not the cause.

Also the gap in income tax between Massachusetts and NC is 0.25% in addition NC has sales tax of groceries and clothes which probably eats up the difference. I would recommend not moving 1000 miles to save $60 in taxes.

Literally the only working age adults I know who left MA joined the military. (Or moved to NH which really doesn’t count). And most of my peers own homes if they don’t live in the city center at this point (mid/late 20s)

Old 02-12-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But that’s just like not true. The social safety net in Massachusetts provides stability even for the working class that does not exist in the sunbelt.

Also the fact median incomes and median outcomes are much higher in Massachusetts than the south is a result of it being better not the cause.

Also the gap in income tax between Massachusetts and NC is 0.25% in addition NC has sales tax of groceries and clothes which probably eats up the difference. I would recommend not moving 1000 miles to save $60 in taxes.

Literally the only working age adults I know who left MA joined the military. (Or moved to NH which really doesn’t count). And most of my peers own homes if they don’t live in the city center at this point (mid/late 20s)
Yes, but the average mortgage payment in Massachusetts is over $4,000 a month. That social safety net is not coming to save anyone buying a home or renting in MA (Rent is over 2.8k on average in the Boston area).

Let me explain in further detail why I feel CLT would benefit some people over BOS.

Its not the taxes, its the ability to buy a nice home at 40% of the cost, be able to be surrounded with other younger families, have more freedom in having 'fun' or going out if you chose to (not necessarily nightlife.. but things as simple as happy hour), more mild weather and sunshine which is crucial to D3 levels that control/play apart in seasonal depression and mood, and the other benefits living in a metropolitan area that runs at half the pace of Boston.

I went to school in Massachusetts and a good chunk (Born from 1995-2001) have left the state for good. However, I have 20+ cousins born between 1985 and 1995, and most have stayed in MA. The only ones who left were because they actually, physically, got priced out. So I am not sure if there is a fine line cutoff, but Boston isn't really seen as super desirable given its cons to a lot of people just entering the workforce. Gen-Z prefers simplicity, affordability and the ability to do things on the whim. CLT fits the bill perfectly for 'us'.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the average mortgage payment in Massachusetts is over $4,000 a month. That social safety net is not coming to save anyone buying a home or renting in MA (Rent is over 2.8k on average in the Boston area).

Let me explain in further detail why I feel CLT would benefit some people over BOS.

Its not the taxes, its the ability to buy a nice home at 40% of the cost, be able to be surrounded with other younger families, have more freedom in having 'fun' or going out if you chose to (not necessarily nightlife.. but things as simple as happy hour), more mild weather and sunshine which is crucial to D3 levels that control/play apart in seasonal depression and mood, and the other benefits living in a metropolitan area that runs at half the pace of Boston.

I went to school in Massachusetts and a good chunk (Born from 1995-2001) have left the state for good. However, I have 20+ cousins born between 1985 and 1995, and most have stayed in MA. The only ones who left were because they actually, physically, got priced out. So I am not sure if there is a fine line cutoff, but Boston isn't really seen as super desirable given its cons to a lot of people just entering the workforce. Gen-Z prefers simplicity, affordability and the ability to do things on the whim. CLT fits the bill perfectly for 'us'.
Seasonal depression? Boston gets more sunshine hours than the French Riviera. You need to be far beyond 42.3N or downstream of an ocean before season depression is a real issue.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:38 AM

62 posts, read 37,431 times
Quote:

Thanks for response. I am willing to banking sector like financial analyst, credit analyst or economic analyst. So my question went among these two major cities which provides more opportunities with higher wages at the end of the day. Of course I am curious about the cost of living and the lifestyle because instead of high wages the purchasing rate also has a vital meaning for me.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 10,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post
Among these two Metro areas which provides better opportunities in the Financial sector and which offers better quality of life??
From a quality of life standpoint, Charlotte has several major advantages over Boston, including, but not limited to, later sunsets throughout the year, a longer growing season and significantly less snow and ice in the wintertime. Summers in Charlotte are hotter and longer, but I would much rather be hot than cold.

Charlotte has better proximity to the rest of the country, whereas Boston is geographically isolated from almost all other major population centers in the United States, aside from New York City.

While Boston probably has much more robust public transit than Charlotte, the latter likely has a greater abundance of cheap, hassle-free parking. Additionally, road quality in North Carolina is generally superior to that of Massachusetts. I have not driven in and around Boston or Charlotte in a quite a few years, but I cannot imagine that roads in Charlotte are as gridlocked and/or riddled with potholes as those in Boston.

The housing stock in Charlotte is newer, more spacious and less expensive (by a country mile) than what you find in Boston and its suburbs. While Charlotte does look a bit cookie-cutter and sterile, especially by East Coast standards, Boston is the other extreme — much of the city is quite gritty and threadbare.

Salaries/wages are higher in Boston, but so are the costs of living. In my opinion, the only real advantages of living in Boston (over Charlotte) are state-of-the-art healthcare and higher education, a greater abundance of high-paying career opportunities in healthcare and STEM fields, excellent public transit, charming and unique tourist attractions, proximity to the coast and a safer, wealthier, more attractive hinterland (rural North Carolina is very poor and rundown).

Last edited by Nu2Lou; 02-12-2024 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-12-2024, 11:00 AM

62 posts, read 37,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Lou View Post
From a quality of life standpoint, Charlotte has several major advantages over Boston, including, but not limited to, later sunsets throughout the year, a longer growing season and significantly less snow and ice in the wintertime. Summers in Charlotte are hotter and longer, but I would much rather be hot than cold.

Charlotte has better proximity to the rest of the country, whereas Boston is geographically isolated from almost all other major population centers in the United States, aside from New York City.

While Boston probably has much more robust public transit than Charlotte, the latter likely has a greater abundance of cheap, hassle-free parking. Additionally, road quality in North Carolina is generally superior to that of Massachusetts. I have not driven in and around Boston or Charlotte in a quite a few years, but I cannot imagine that roads in Charlotte are as gridlocked and/or riddled with potholes as those in Boston.

The housing stock in Charlotte is newer, more spacious and less expensive (by a country mile) than what you find in Boston and its suburbs. While Charlotte does look a bit cookie-cutter and sterile, especially by East Coast standards, Boston is the other extreme — much of the city is quite gritty and threadbare.

Salaries/wages are higher in Boston, but so are the costs of living. In my opinion, the only real advantages of living in Boston (over Charlotte) are state-of-the-art healthcare and higher education, a greater abundance of high-paying career opportunities in healthcare and STEM fields, excellent public transit, charming and unique tourist attractions, proximity to the coast and a safer, wealthier, more attractive hinterland (rural North Carolina is very poor and rundown).

In terns of crime rate, social life and purchasing rate which city has the lead?? Thanks for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City