Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 03:47 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 07:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Dallas is the luxury capital of the South. I'd place it above most cities besides NYC, LA, Miami, Vegas, and Chicago (maybe tied with Chicago given the larger consumption base in Texas). It also helps that DFW is a massive airport as well.
Seriously? Dallas doesn't seem much different from Miami and Houston.
In fact I think Miami is more glamorous.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 565,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree. Part of Miami’s branding is glitzy and “glamorous” (whatever it means.)

Dallas strikes me as more proper in that bow-tie on men/pastel Chanel suit with strings of pearls/impeccably coiffed hairdo on women manner. Some might call it “glamorous”.

Anywhere brands itself with the word “luxury” can be called “glamorous”, but it always implies a bit of air of affectation.

Glendale CA has a nice Americana mall and the Kardashian adjacent association (the suburb with the most Armenians.) but I hardly ever associate it with the word “glamour”.

Rankings are fun because they often don’t make much sense.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:18 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Seriously? Dallas doesn't seem much different from Miami and Houston.
Dallas does feel more glamorous than Houston.

Miami is tough because its very glamourous in parts and feels third world in others.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:19 AM

830 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Miami is tough because its very glamourous in parts and feels third world in others.
You could say that about any city though to be fair. There’s nothing glamorous about south oak cliff in Dallas or the southside in Chicago or large portions of south central in LA.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:51 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
You could say that about any city thought to be fair. There’s nothing glamorous about south oak cliff in Dallas or the southside in Chicago or large portions of south central in LA.
This…and let’s not forget about NYC—is it debatable whether it’s a glamorous city because it, too, has bad / rough neighborhoods ???

Last edited by elchevere; 05-17-2023 at 11:33 AM..

Old 05-17-2023, 11:46 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
NYC
LA
Miami
Vegas
DC
Chicago
Atlanta
Seattle
Philly
Boston
Dallas
Houston

Old 05-17-2023, 12:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Dallas strikes me as being more pretentious than Houston. It has that 30 thousand dollar millionaire vibe to it.

But in terms of glamorous they are about tge same.

Quote:
You could say that about any city though to be fair. There’s nothing glamorous about south oak cliff in Dallas or the southside in Chicago or large portions of south central in LA.
This^^^

Old 05-17-2023, 12:50 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Im talking about the city as a whole. Lived in both and I would say Dallas definitely has that glamour factor more pronounced than Houston. That isn't to say Houston has no areas like it, but with Dallas it stands out a lot more. Especially when we are talking about nightlife.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:17 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Glad to see Honolulu get the recognition it deserves. Kalākaua Ave in Waikiki screams luxury and well landscaped - typically geared towards well-off Japanese and mainland tourists. There's also the massive Ala Moana Center nearby too.

Dallas is the luxury capital of the South. I'd place it above most cities besides NYC, LA, Miami, Vegas, and Chicago (maybe tied with Chicago given the larger consumption base in Texas). It also helps that DFW is a massive airport as well.
Lol uh... I find Atlanta to be a bit overrated but in terms of luxury capital of the South I feel like they own that more than any other southern city (and Miami as well). When I think of Dallas I think of a lot of different things and it holds its own but luxury isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City