Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 01:32 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Dallas strikes me as being more pretentious than Houston. It has that 30 thousand dollar millionaire vibe to it.

But in terms of glamorous they are about tge same.

This^^^
It's now 50k millionaire, but yes, that's where the phrase was invented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 01:36 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol uh... I find Atlanta to be a bit overrated but in terms of luxury capital of the South I feel like they own that more than any other southern city (and Miami as well). When I think of Dallas I think of a lot of different things and it holds its own but luxury isn't one of them.
I don't think Dallas is as luxurious as Atlanta but it certainly has citizens that spend on expensive stuff.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:46 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think Dallas is as luxurious as Atlanta but it certainly has citizens that spend on expensive stuff.
That's putting it mildly: where is Neiman Marcus headquartered?

And come to think of it, that fact probably vaults Dallas past Atlanta,

Old 05-17-2023, 02:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That's putting it mildly: where is Neiman Marcus headquartered?

And come to think of it, that fact probably vaults Dallas past Atlanta,
Dallas does have more fashion industry/trade than Atlanta, other than Neiman Marcus, if that’s an indication of “luxury” or “glamour”. (I kind of hate this word.)

Dallas, to my limited knowledge, also has a lot of art money. Atlanta surely does too but it seems that Dallas’ is more significant and on the radar.

Both cities are a bit too Stepford Wives (in terms of their presentations and images and style preferences.) to my liking so I’m team no one.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's now 50k millionaire, but yes, that's where the phrase was invented.
Lol, Inflation.

I don't consider throwing yourself into debt to keep up with the Joneses glamorous.

Miami has that glamorous image to it as a spot people want to go to to visit.

Atlanta has that glamorous image to it as a spot that rising black celebrities, or celebrities passed their prime want to live.

Dallas and Houston have luxury stores, hotels and resorts, but they are not high on the list of glamorous getaways. And if I had to compare the two, I would put Houston ahead of Dallas for celebrities popping on a night of fun.

Takeoff from Migos didn't fly to Dallas to spend a glamorous night playing cards and ducking bullets. Nope, he went to Houston.

When Drake visits Texas to put dollar bills in G -strings he don't go to Dallas, he goes to Houston.

When 50 cent moved to Texas and needed a city close to the Hippty Hop scene he went to Houston, not Dallas. Celebrities Don't hang around Houston anywhere near as much as they do Miami, or even Atlanta, but they sure do more than Dallas. Heck, Anna Nicole Smith was from a town right outside DFW and when she decided to leave and create a glamorous life for herself she chose to do that in Houston, not Dallas.

Dallas is neat and tidy. There are a lot of rich folks and a ton of po folk trying to act rich. But going to Neiman Marcus doesn't make you glamorous. You can go to Neiman Marcus in dozens of places.

Glamorous cities are cities you go out and spend a night on the town and rub elbows with celebs. NYC is glamorous. LA is glamorous. Miami is glamorous. Even Vegas is glamorous. ATL is B list glamorous.

The rich and famous don't visit the Texas Cities frequently enough to consider those glamorous. But then again, apart from those 5 cities, there are not too many I would consider glamorous.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:42 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Manhattan. And I specially point out Manhattan cause not even the other boroughs are as glamorous.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:43 PM

Miami is overrated since a lot of its glamour comes from the snowbirds that live down there. The actual real Miami doesn’t touch Atlanta

Old 05-17-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Jersey City is on the list?
What’s so shocking? Jersey city at this point is just an extension of Manhattan.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:49 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Miami is overrated since a lot of its glamour comes from the snowbirds that live down there. The actual real Miami doesn’t touch Atlanta
I don’t think all the high end retailers (and more exclusive brand bling boutiques in Miami), top chefs (Thomas Keller, etc etc) and more would set up shop—and remain in business—for only 4 months of business….do we really need to pull up the STC luxury index chart again and post it on this thread for a fourth time?….besides, many of those snowbirds (and others) have since moved here (vs visiting prior to Covid) and bought our more expensive real estate. The idea that Miami is a seasonal city is an outdated mindset from years ago….and I haven’t even touched upon the “glam” nightlife/nightclubs and annual events.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-17-2023 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 03:51 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
What’s so shocking? Jersey city at this point is just an extension of Manhattan.
I wouldn't go that far....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City