Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs NYC?
Austin 16 23.53%
NYC 52 76.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If “6 figures” means $100,000, that’s barely middle class in New York. On Manhattan, the average rent is $4,100/month. The average apartment size is 720 square feet.
Manhattan isn't all of New York. You could easily make $100,000 work in Brooklyn or Queens, especially if you don't own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 11:35 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateva23 View Post
I’m a big nature lover and moving to NYC scares me because of that.
Buildings/ concrete everywhere, may be depressing...
New York lies in a beautiful natural setting-- the harbor, rivers, coastal areas and geological formations (rocky ridges in upper Manhattan and New Jersey Palisades) are pretty nice. There's great hiking an hour or two away in mountainous, rocky forested country. Manhattan Island has buildings everywhere, true, but so many nice parks and green public spaces and so much usable waterfront. You might suffer more from the "buildings/concrete everywhere" feeling in Brooklyn or Queens but there are many refuges there too. Don't discount the walkability factor; you can walk just about anywhere in New York and the sidewalks are wide, often tree shaded, the architecture is often very pleasant, and the ability to move around without a car is such a refreshingly huge difference in everyday bodily experience from having to travel everywhere in a car. I haven't been to Austin Texas but it's hard to beat the variety of rivers, bays, ocean, mountains and forested landscapes around New York.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:44 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree, it could be a really good time. I'm just worried about the whole friend making thing. From what I've heard, Austiners are friendlier than NYers
Folks in NYC are friendly--some of the most diverse, fascinating and coolest people you'll meet.

A person who has lived here for more than say, 4 or 5 years, has become accustomed to putting on a serious/more focused/grim face due to the rigors of commuting, seeing anything and everything, and sending out body language to any crazies on the train or the street to "stay away--not interested."

Other cities have folks who seem a lot friendlier on the surface due to a much less hectic lifestyle. But, developing small talk and friends in NYC is easy, if you are a people person.

If you aren't a people person in general, it will be tougher. But my advice is to join a social group or two, and you'll develop friends fast.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
There's a ton of access to nature/outdoor activities without needing a car in and around NYC. That shouldn't be a deciding factor either way.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:00 PM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
*If* you can afford it - NYC, hands down. You will never have as many kinds of dating options in the US as there (not just kinds of extroverts, but kinds of introverts, for example - and in NYC, there are lots of them!); people meet and have serious relationships there all the time. And it's not that far from all sorts of nature. And NYers are friendlier than you'd think; actually, you might find them more friendly than you want! It's just different than some other kinds of friendliness. It's not a culture of "nice"; and that is fantastic. (The culture of "nice" is inimical to building real friendships.)

Old 02-22-2022, 01:01 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
The Big Apple

Old 02-22-2022, 01:23 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
There's a ton of access to nature/outdoor activities without needing a car in and around NYC. That shouldn't be a deciding factor either way.
Why not? If you are in a position to choose where to live and you value outdoor access as it seems like OP does, it's not unreasonable for it to be a primary factor.

Both cities seem okay for outdoor access, NYC probably gets a slight edge due to a wider variety but the best recreation spots are probably more difficult to get to than the best spots in Austin just due to how large metro NYC is.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:49 PM

22 posts, read 20,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
*If* you can afford it - NYC, hands down. You will never have as many kinds of dating options in the US as there (not just kinds of extroverts, but kinds of introverts, for example - and in NYC, there are lots of them!); people meet and have serious relationships there all the time. And it's not that far from all sorts of nature. And NYers are friendlier than you'd think; actually, you might find them more friendly than you want! It's just different than some other kinds of friendliness. It's not a culture of "nice"; and that is fantastic. (The culture of "nice" is inimical to building real friendships.)

I'm in a spot where I'll be able to afford it but am not wanting to spend too much on rent. I feel like Brooklyn may be the better place to live to save on rent. Will it be worth it living in Brooklyn? Will I even enjoy the city or will commuting to NYC be a pain?

Old 02-22-2022, 02:05 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Why not? If you are in a position to choose where to live and you value outdoor access as it seems like OP does, it's not unreasonable for it to be a primary factor.

Both cities seem okay for outdoor access, NYC probably gets a slight edge due to a wider variety but the best recreation spots are probably more difficult to get to than the best spots in Austin just due to how large metro NYC is.
Because it's not an issue in the immediate NYC area as I said in my previous post. There are a myriad of outdoor options that you can access via mass transit in the 5 boroughs and nearby environs. You can also rent a car for a weekend getaway but most of the beautiful beach spots on LI and in NJ are accessible via mass transit too.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:21 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I'm in a spot where I'll be able to afford it but am not wanting to spend too much on rent. I feel like Brooklyn may be the better place to live to save on rent. Will it be worth it living in Brooklyn? Will I even enjoy the city or will commuting to NYC be a pain?

How often will you need to commute and where is the commute to? I assume since it can be a remote position, then you don't need to go to the office all the time (especially if the weather is bad) but rather it's a nice option to have. If your office is in downtown Manhattan area, then much of Brooklyn is an easy commute. If your office is in midtown Manhattan, then a good chunk of Queens is an easy commute. There's also living in Manhattan itself.

One thing to consider is how much do you like cars and driving. It's pretty easy to live in much of NYC without having a car and that's a large expense you'd be saving on, but if you are really into cars and driving, then it's actually a bit of a bear in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City