Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs NYC?
Austin 16 23.53%
NYC 52 76.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:24 PM

22 posts, read 20,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
At this point you have all the information you need. Just visit each for a week and then decide what works for you. Don't let dating and outdoor recreation be the deciding factor but instead soak in the lifestyle.
As for cost sure you can save more money but an Austin twenties will be pretty generic compared to a few years of being young, high income and single in NYC. Despite its reputation Austin is not really that weird.

I agree, NYC is the place to be. Just trying my best to find some decently priced apartments ATM, the prices are pretty high right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 06:28 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateva23 View Post
I agree, NYC is the place to be. Just trying my best to find some decently priced apartments ATM, the prices are pretty high right now.
Roommate?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Brooklyn is huge, for one thing-and there are over 40 neighborhoods. Also the population is almost as much as the city of Chicago, @ 2.75 million folks.

Not sure you'll save tons on rent in Brooklyn, but you could if you lived in an edgier/rough around the edges neighborhood. Depends on where you want to be--in a trendy spot, quiet spot, happening neighborhood, ethnic neighborhood, close to Manhattan, etc?

I live in Brooklyn and just love it. I'm close to anything and everything in my neighborhood and adjacent ones, and just a 6-8 minute subway ride to lower Manhattan.

I think you should take a look at Brooklyn--you'll love it.

I'm looking for a trendy spot with a lot of other young professionals near Manhattan. I've been looking into Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, and Williamsburg. What would be best?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:29 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Do NYC while you're young and get it out of your system. Add in a very good paying career and it's like being a kid in a candy store. Nothing like it.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:32 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateva23 View Post
I(25 F) have to make a decision on if I should move to NYC or be remote and move to Austin. In terms of finances, I’m good and making 6 figures. I’m a big nature lover and moving to NYC scares me because of that. I’m also single and ready to date but am looking for a serious relationship, and I know doing that in NYC (from what I’ve heard) may be tough. I also don’t really care for nightlife/clubbing but want to have a lot of things to do and an easy time making friends.

Here are the pros and cons I’ve compiled
NY -
Pros:
Near co-workers and office
A lot of things to do

Cons:
High cost of living
Buildings/ concrete everywhere, may be depressing
Cold sometimes

Austin -
Pros:
Lower cost of living, going to save a lot more money
Nature
Can settle there for years

Cons:
Away from office and co-workers

I also want to note that both are about the same distance away from family and don’t have much family/friends in either. Right now I’m leaning a lot more towards Austin just because it’s kind of the best of both worlds in the sense that you can have a lot of fun there (maybe not as much as NYC) and also enjoy nature and relaxation. The whole NYC dating scene also scares me. What do you guys think?

Please choose Austin and continue making it more in affordable. We are at our peak in NY and don’t need visitors. Here Austin is warm.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Roommate?
I'm looking to live alone.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
I would do Austin over NYC. Young, hip, funky and trendy are things that describe Austin.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:03 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If “6 figures” means $100,000, that’s barely middle class in New York. On Manhattan, the average rent is $4,100/month. The average apartment size is 720 square feet.
these people are younger geoff lol. You can get places for 2k a month in NYC still. These arent your "Blue Chip suburban family with kids!".

Let's stay relatable and on topic here.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:11 AM

496 posts, read 351,171 times
Places like Bushwick in Brooklyn are great -- young, trendy, lively, and much more affordable than Manhattan. Just a bit far from Manhattan.......Williamsburg is great but it is pricey -- pricier than e.g. above 96th and LES in Manhattan. Astoria in Queens is also great. Closer to Manhattan and is the up-and-coming neighborhood. Lots of great restaurants, bars, and clubs -- lively but also has the neighborhood feel.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:20 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Places like Bushwick in Brooklyn are great -- young, trendy, lively, and much more affordable than Manhattan. Just a bit far from Manhattan.......Williamsburg is great but it is pricey -- pricier than e.g. above 96th and LES in Manhattan. Astoria in Queens is also great. Closer to Manhattan and is the up-and-coming neighborhood. Lots of great restaurants, bars, and clubs -- lively but also has the neighborhood feel.
Even the UES. My friend has a 2 bedroom apt and splits rent, $1700 each. Thats pretty damn good. Off of 87th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City