Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go for a weekend?
Cleveland 24 36.36%
Detroit 42 63.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 08:17 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times

Advertisements

It's weird that everyone -- pro-Detroit and pro-Cleveland -- seem to be glossing over the Flats in downtown Cleveland along the riverfront. While some oldtimers regret the newer version is more 'corporate' and less organic -- as in the past with packed, converted warehouses of dive bars and packed music venues -- the 'new' Flats East Bank, now with a hotel, office building, and permanent residents in the large FEB mixed-use apt building on the boardwalk, is jam-packed most weekends; totally insane during warm weather months were people line the boardwalk and restaurants along the water to watch all level of boaters: from kayaks, jet skiers and rowers, the 2 tourist cruisers (the Goodtime III and Nautica Queen) to yachts all the way up to the 100+yeard freighters. Flats bars & clubs, both along the water as well as more inland, such as Lago and others in the ground floor of the A-Loft Hotel buzz well into the night.

The Detroit River and its river walk and the steamship have come a long way, but it is nowhere near Cleveland's Flats in terms of excitement, energy, entertainment, bars (including several game bars), and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 08:29 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
It's weird that everyone -- pro-Detroit and pro-Cleveland -- seem to be glossing over the Flats in downtown Cleveland along the riverfront. While some oldtimers regret the newer version is more 'corporate' and less organic -- as in the past with packed, converted warehouses of dive bars and packed music venues -- the 'new' Flats East Bank, now with a hotel, office building, and permanent residents in the large FEB mixed-use apt building on the boardwalk, is jam-packed most weekends; totally insane during warm weather months were people line the boardwalk and restaurants along the water to watch all level of boaters: from kayaks, jet skiers and rowers, the 2 tourist cruisers (the Goodtime III and Nautica Queen) to yachts all the way up to the 100+yeard freighters. Flats bars & clubs, both along the water as well as more inland, such as Lago and others in the ground floor of the A-Loft Hotel buzz well into the night.

The Detroit River and its river walk and the steamship have come a long way, but it is nowhere near Cleveland's Flats in terms of excitement, energy, entertainment, bars (including several game bars), and restaurants.
The West Bank of the Flats was absolutely poppin over the weekend with the Brite Winter Festival too. Thousands in the streets and in McCarthy's, Harbor Inn, Mulberry's, Music Box.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The West Bank of the Flats was absolutely poppin over the weekend with the Brite Winter Festival too. Thousands in the streets and in McCarthy's, Harbor Inn, Mulberry's, Music Box.
Yes, the Brite Winter Festival concerts are a unique, quirky fun thing annually in Cleveland (sometimes the Flats, sometimes Ohio City) during the dead of winter but are always well attended (and shows the spirit of locals; bad weather never gets them down)... Shooters restaurant/bar is still going on Flats West Bank's boardwalk, no? And even though it is far from the nation's best, the Aquarium is in the lower level of the Powerhouse.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:20 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
The Flats is worth noting, also-although in all honesty, since most of my time witnessing Cleveland's direct renaissance was about 2012-2018 or so time-wise, I can't speak as well to The Flats since I feel like Ohio City, Coventry Village, and of course, just Downtown itself was where I was spending more/most my time. That's not to say The Flats doesn't have worthy stuff or a fun vibe, esp. the unique river factor that is present for tourists (I had so much fun at Punch Bowl Social back in like 2019 I think), but you're right, I don't think it gets as much press or attention compared to some other sections of town, which is surprising actually. I won't lie, I'm not sure how this would work with altering or severely disrupting the shipping/industry headed up and down the river, but some type of connection that is actually permanent (not just seasonal water taxis) would go a long way IMO to really making it a show stopper/regional touristic hub (further north than the existing Center Street Bridge.

Would it be impossible to make a way longer version of this? Something like this I think would be highly unique to be sure, though I don't know how explosive the cost factor would be, or what maintenance would look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Dj7XA77hw

Old 03-01-2022, 09:01 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
The Flats is worth noting, also-although in all honesty, since most of my time witnessing Cleveland's direct renaissance was about 2012-2018 or so time-wise, I can't speak as well to The Flats since I feel like Ohio City, Coventry Village, and of course, just Downtown itself was where I was spending more/most my time. That's not to say The Flats doesn't have worthy stuff or a fun vibe, esp. the unique river factor that is present for tourists (I had so much fun at Punch Bowl Social back in like 2019 I think), but you're right, I don't think it gets as much press or attention compared to some other sections of town, which is surprising actually. I won't lie, I'm not sure how this would work with altering or severely disrupting the shipping/industry headed up and down the river, but some type of connection that is actually permanent (not just seasonal water taxis) would go a long way IMO to really making it a show stopper/regional touristic hub (further north than the existing Center Street Bridge.

Would it be impossible to make a way longer version of this? Something like this I think would be highly unique to be sure, though I don't know how explosive the cost factor would be, or what maintenance would look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Dj7XA77hw
Somehow connecting the West and East banks would be amazing. Could become a premiere nightlife area.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm pretty sure every city that has traffic lights and stop signs also has hype articles about being a food or tech destination.

Here's one ranking Cleveland ahead of NYC:

https://time.com/3746147/americas-best-food-cities/

Here's another telling me how Cleveland "low key" (is that what the cool kids say?) has one of the nation's best food scenes and its only getting better!

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/clevel...-hot-right-now
That is some impressive marketing lol.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:14 AM

828 posts, read 648,216 times
Both are underrated. Detroit is more "in", but I actually think Cleveland is quite a bit better. The rub is that the downtown is not quite as tourist friendly as Detroit's is becoming, but Cleveland has plenty of stuff, one of the best bar scenes east of the Mississippi, the Market is awesome, boating on the lake can be really neat, lots of fun options.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Wow. Detroit must be amazing because we have visited Cleveland numerous times for day-trips and have never run out of things to do!

Old 03-06-2022, 10:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Detroit must be amazing because we have visited Cleveland numerous times for day-trips and have never run out of things to do!
I think Detroit is better. I wouldn't say amazingly so but more things to do. Detroit feels more cosmopolitan imo. I like the architecture and civic pride. Everyone I have met from Detroit is very proud to be from that city.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:07 AM

Detroit downtown retail certainly bests Cleveland at this point in time. I was very pleasantly surprised by all the new and upscale shops along Woodward Ave, and the gigantic Hudson property development by Dan Gilbert will really enhance things. Further up Woodward in Midtown the Little Caesar's Arena has a very nice retail frontage that blends in nicely with the street and rapidly improving neighborhood... All good from the Motor City.

Downtown Cleveland has a lot going for it entertainment-wise, but retail has really fallen on hard times. Tower City has chased practically all the major chains and quality stores; and Gilbert owns TC, too. Hopefully, this is just a lull before the retail storm because of a huge project involving Gilbert and owners of the Phila 76ers in/around Gateway (Rocket Mort. Field House & Progressive field) is in the planning stages, where new retail will exist. There is also hope that changes in/around the Erieview complex, where a Group W hotel is coming, plus a new mixted-use apts-over-retail development is coming next door to the handsome, curved 39-year-old Ameritech building. There is also the hope of more retail coming to the huge Euclid Grand & Centennial office-to-apts/mixed-use conversions along upper Euclid Ave.

We also hear Target is looking to established a small-version store, perhaps in the old May Company space, above-which apartments and a boutique hotel opened recently.

But for now, downtown Detroit definitely has Cleveland's number retail wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City