Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:45 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe, by all accounts, really excels here. At least it used to be the case.

Tucson punches above its weight here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 02:47 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Seems like every city is expanding their food scene-- I'm interested to know what major metros stand out as being mediocre or average in regards to their food scene. So what large metros (1 million+) have relatively boring/predicable/limited food scenes?

Old 03-03-2022, 03:33 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Birmingham has a very solid food scene, definitely more than just a bunch of chain restaurants or BBQ pits that pour white sauce on pulled pork.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:46 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Seems like every city is expanding their food scene-- I'm interested to know what major metros stand out as being mediocre or average in regards to their food scene. So what large metros (1 million+) have relatively boring/predicable/limited food scenes?
Nashville (It does well in southern cuisine, but is below weight for ethnic offerings)
Dallas (Too much BBQ)
Denver (Very Americanized versions of "ethnic" cuisines)
Salt Lake City (until recently, chocolate milk was known as its most famous drink)
Kansas City (see Dallas)
Charlotte (see Nashville)
Orlando (too many chains, in addition to overpriced theme park food)
San Antonio (great TexMex, but nothing to write home about otherwise)
Austin (see San Antonio and Dallas)
Oklahoma City (see Dallas and Denver)

Old 03-03-2022, 04:18 PM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
Portland ME, not on the list, belongs on it. For the last generation at least, it's been the queen of dining (fine and not so fine) in New England. Boston is larger, but Portland punches very far above its weight class in food terms.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:07 PM

365 posts, read 229,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Which one?

Portland Oregon surely belongs if it falls below the threshold of choice. It seems like Portland ME would fit this list well too (though very small).

Portland Maine has a celebrated food / coffee / beer scene.
Portland Oregon is widely considered a top 5 food city across all markets, is the point I believe he was making. Portland, ME would be a better fit for this list.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I feel like 90% of decent sized cities have good enough restaurants to satisfy foodie cravings. Coming from south Louisiana, I have a pretty high bar when it comes to food, and living in place like Denver, which isn't known for good food, I think much of these conversations are weighted too heavily for ethnic varieties and such, Denver definitely isn't New Orleans but to say it has bad food would be an outright lie. I would believe the same is true for most metros over 1 million.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:17 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
I would think people would know about KC, it’s like #1 for BBQ depending who you ask.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I would think people would know about KC, it’s like #1 for BBQ depending who you ask.
Have you asked someone from Texas?
Or North Carolina?
Or Memphis?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:03 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Any place that's got tons of chains or themed restaurants dominating the scene, to me, fall short.

This is why I'm in food heaven where I live. My neighborhood is almost exclusively independent restaurants ranging from good to outstanding. Even the bars here have really good, elevated food.

The only place I've been where I thought the food was notably subpar was Jacksonville. I was also very underwhelmed by offerings in/near National Harbor, MD, which is south of DC and across the river from Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City