Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most worldly/sophisticated burbs
Atlanta 6 15.38%
Phoenix 2 5.13%
Miami 20 51.28%
Denver 0 0%
Detroit 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 04:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times

Advertisements

Which one of these metros has the most sophisticated, built up (not necessarily walkability, but developmentally) and worldly burbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 04:29 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Possibly Detroit? The suburbs have a lot of wealth and corporate offices at the expense of the city, and being an eastern metro it has a lot of classic old-money neighborhoods like the Grosse Pointes. There are also a lot of established ethnic communities spread throughout the metro like Arabs, Chaldeans, Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis, and eastern/southern Europeans.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Miami.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:33 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Possibly Detroit? The suburbs have a lot of wealth and corporate offices at the expense of the city, and being an eastern metro it has a lot of classic old-money neighborhoods like the Grosse Pointes. There are also a lot of established ethnic communities spread throughout the metro like Arabs, Chaldeans, Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis, and eastern/southern Europeans.
Yea. Detroit can make an argument for the win, along with Miami and Atlanta. No to the others.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:18 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Grosse Pointe looks beautiful and lots of bang for the buck for $1.5 - 3M, but are there any neighborhoods with properties selling there for $10 - 55M as there are in Miami’s Coral Gables … or up to $150M in Coconut Grove? Quite a few of these properties also have million - multimillion dollar yachts parked on their accompanying dock.

I haven’t even touched the Miami Beach barrier island communities or Indian Creek.…I think Miami takes this one; battle should be for second place..

https://www.redfin.com/city/3707/FL/...caAqL3EALw_wcB

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/.../min-price=10M

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2022 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Grosse Pointe looks beautiful and lots of bang for the buck for $1.5 - 3M, but are there any neighborhoods with properties selling there for $10 - 55M as there are in Miami’s Coral Gables … or up to $150M in Coconut Grove? Quite a few of these properties also have million - multimillion dollar yachts parked on their accompanying dock.

I haven’t even touched the Miami Beach barrier island communities or Indian Creek.…I think Miami takes this one.

https://www.redfin.com/city/3707/FL/...caAqL3EALw_wcB

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/.../min-price=10M
That’s not the only metric of sophisticated and worldly though. What I don’t get about Miami is why they rank so poorly on economically if there is such a marker for those price points?

In any case, I agree Miami’s coastal desirability is almost unmatched in the US.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:51 PM

Because many on CD think “reported” W-2 median income is the only measure of any area’s wealth.

A lot of Miami’s wealth does not come from wage slaves. Retirees and foreigners—many who hide their wealth, assets and identities behind shell companies, LLC’s etc comprise a notable portion of Miami’s wealth and are not part of reported net or median income. Miami is also far more dependent upon self employed small business owners, rather than dependent upon salaried and fully reported corporate employment, who often underreport their total earnings to pay less taxes.

The coastal wealth—with some notable inland suburbs—is vast and extensive whether looking at just Miami Dade or the entire MSA up to Jupiter. It is this vastness of wealth, not lack thereof, that also attracts and supports high end retail brands and standalone boutiques found in but a few other cities. It also attracts jetsetters from Europe, wealthy South Americans, Northeast hedge fund managers, athletes/celebrities (probably a Russian oligarch or two).

My guess for 2nd place would be Scottsdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
That’s not the only metric of sophisticated and worldly though. What I don’t get about Miami is why they rank so poorly on economically if there is such a marker for those price points?

In any case, I agree Miami’s coastal desirability is almost unmatched in the US.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2022 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Because many on CD think “reported” W-2 median income is the only measure of any area’s wealth. A lot of Miami’s wealth does not come from wage slaves. Retirees and foreigners—many who hide their wealth, assets and identities behind shell companies, LLC’s etc comprise a notable portion of Miami’s wealth and are not part of reported net or median income. Miami is also far more dependent upon self employed small business owners, rather than dependent upon corporate employment, who often underreport their total earnings to pay less taxes.

The coastal wealth—with some notable inland suburbs—is vast and extensive whether looking at just Miami Dade or the entire MSA up to Jupiter. It is this vastness of wealth, not lack thereof, that also attracts and supports high end retail brands and standalone boutiques found in but a few other cities. It also attracts jetsetters from Europe, wealthy South Americans, Northeast hedge fund managers, athletes/celebrities (probably a Russian oligarch or two).

My guess for 2nd place would be Scottsdale.
That’s interesting, i more or less assumed that much…and I get that this board doesn’t give much credence to non-reported earnings despite Miami’s recognition for attracting money. But the same can be said for any city with a high amount of entrepreneurs… right?

Old 03-08-2022, 06:07 PM

133 posts, read 95,601 times
South Florida actually has a very comparable per capita personal income to most of the major metro areas. ($5,500 behind L.A.) And that's just income. The metro is super stacked with already made wealth running up like 80 miles, even far far away from the coastline. Add in the huge amount of wealthy tourists everywhere and then the snowbirds etc and it just becomes absurd.

Then when you get up to Palm Beach County the whole place is insanely stacked. Think about all the wealth in just Boca Raton alone. Then think about how many other countless areas are like that down there, seemingly everywhere. High-Rises, modern mansions, exotic cars super luxury shopping, you name it. And more of those things per capita than pretty much anywhere else in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ersonal_income

Compass Ultra-Luxury Real Estate Report 2021 (10M+ Sales Only)

https://www.luxuryatcompass.com/ultra-luxury

According to this link below Southeast Florida had 4 of the top 25 airports with the most private jet departures in 2021. Naples ranked 12th too.

Florida as a whole had the most departures.

2/9/22
https://privatejetcardcomparisons.co...saw-big-gains/

2/20/22
https://privatejetcardcomparisons.co...ia-at-the-top/

Last edited by Harbits; 03-08-2022 at 07:21 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Not to the same extent as a Miami, which is a top 3 luxury real estate market in the country after NYC and LA. Being one of only 2 year round exciting, amenities rich, desirable year round oceanfront cities in the country has its advantages—kinda like being the hot blonde in high school who has to make less effort to attract more dates

Also, FL has no state income tax which appeals to high net worth individuals who do receive and report wages—whether they live here full time or 6 months plus 1 day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
That’s interesting, i more or less assumed that much…and I get that this board doesn’t give much credence to non-reported earnings despite Miami’s recognition for attracting money. But the same can be said for any city with a high amount of entrepreneurs… right?

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2022 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City