Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 09:21 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What?

I was referring to the "DC crossover" that was popularized in street ball in Washington DC in the 1990's. Were they doing crossovers in 1951 in Boston/NYC or something? My post was to a unique aspect added to the game of basketball by "Black Culture" or "Black" people in a city. Do you have examples like this from Minneapolis or Boston? I'm lost.

(This is not ALL crossover moves in basketball). Speaking on a specific type of ball handling specific to DC.
I don’t know enough about Basketball to comment to be honest.

But what makes DC’s black community Unique is their hot dog is grinded it a bit less, while in Minneapolis it’s they don’t eat pork that’s an order of magnitude difference in how much the community deviate from the norm.

DC’s street clothes might be “unique” because of some stitching pattern or whatever but Hijabs are common in Minneapolis. Their Congresswomen wears one. That’s an order of magnitude in deviation from the norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Bruh, you’re kidding right? First of all, West Indian food is not American. No city can claim that. It’s from the West Indian islands. So, what exactly is Boston’s Black cultural food?

You’re young so you wouldn’t know about the culture that’s been discussed here from DC. I could see how people under 30 would really see every city as the same because social media has influenced slang, fashion, and music so much that most cities lack an identity now. The only thing unique about cities now is accent and music. If you don’t have that, you’re not unique. DC is still unique in those ways.

If you accent is Irish, Italian, West Indian, etc. you have no local culture. That culture is transplanted from another country. Again, what is your local indigenous culture?
Y’all keep trying to validate people who are young or from Boston. Like that’s valid.

It’s amazing the different ways people can discount cultures in Boston: now because it’s West Indian and not “American” that’s not a part of Boston culture. Please stop, respectfully. The local culture is what the locals do…this is just dense and backhanded.

I’ve listed African American culture here but it gets no response because y’all don’t really know/acknowledge. Been over that.

The most unique thing about the local food in Black Boston is the hybridization you see at spots like Zaz, 50 Kitchen, Savvor, Flames, Prestige but those names don’t mean anything to y’all so the point is dead and null. If there’s a basic huge gap in familiarity couple with a basic lack of respect these things are basically nonexistent to take. Whereas I actually been all over DC extensively…

No city in the US has the cultural blend Boston does aside from NYC. That’s objective fact.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:26 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t know enough about Basketball to comment to be honest.

But what makes DC’s black community Unique is their hot dog is grinded it a bit less, while in Minneapolis it’s they don’t eat pork that’s an order of magnitude difference in how much the community deviate from the norm.
Again you're continuing to harp on one thing. Are you reading entire posts? This was in reply to you regarding the three different terms. Does Minneapolis have local derived things comparable to the entire post? Is it more unique of a local Black culture?

"Unique

Would entail much of what I've already covered here in my posts.

Urban fashion lines created in that city that permeate the city/regions culture to the point that the locals style has a distinction or look to it.

Creation of an entire sub-genre of music that no other city came up with, and was not a knock off on another region. Then just like the fashion styles spreading across that cities culture to give it an even more greater distinction.

Foods that are popularized by Blacks and in the Black community that now have expanded beyond the black community in that city i.e. mumbo sauce, half smoke etc.

Sports: whether it be specific games played or style of play, i've already mentioned. DC/DMV is the only area where a game of 33 is played in pick up basketball that I know of. Everywhere else they play to 21, which may explain the durability of so many players coming out of the DMV. The "DC crossover" was popularized in DC, Allen Iverson learned this while playing at Georgetown, took it to the NBA, and then made his mark "crossing over" Michael Jordan."

That's food, fashion, music, and sports, and in a cliff notes version under the unique category (not robust, not influential). If you have comparisons or examples of ALL of them please let me know so we can move Minneapolis local Black culture up the list. The other parts of my prior post addressed the aspects of local Black culture based on being robust and influential, only since you asked about it.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:

This stuff is way over you guys head, believe me.
Insufferable smugness. Only certain opinions are valid..

Old 03-25-2022, 09:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston was known for the Boston Shootout/the Boston 6 and streetball guard play. Here’s an article from medium:

https://medium.com/binj-reports/sear...o-f9f24d737b58

I’ve never heard of the DC Crossover can’t find it online
but I have heard of “Boston” the game in which it’s basically one on one but king of the court style. Roll the ball out to dude at the top of the paint/3 point line and he’s gotta take you one on one. Line of dude I. The baseline waiting to dethrone him. First man to 7 buckets wins. Can’t find this online either
https://pattherocacademy.com/blogs/l...ssover-dribble

Already posted in the thread skip to 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMVdEnngY0

Old 03-25-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Bet, ill watch this. In a zoom call right now lol.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:42 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
THE DMV BRANDS THAT BIRTHED STREETWEAR CULTURE

DC is probably the only city in America where Black kids not wearing a local brand would be called a bama and shunned by their peers. Growing up, I only wore Madness, City Life, and W-R-One. We did wear WB for a little though. I also would wear some of my man’s and them personalized shorts and shirts.

We had headbands with our neighborhood on them and rubber bands around our ankles so people could see our shoes. Everyone had either corn rolls or plats with beads or bottle caps at the ends headed to see Backyard, UCB, Northeast Groovers/911/What Band, Raw Image, TCB, and CCB.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-25-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 09:52 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Again that’s such a minute deviation from the Norm if you were not familiar with the particular brands you’d be like “Oh a Graphic T”

Same thing with half-smokes if you just gave one to someone not from DC they’d say “oh a Chili Dog”

Just like if you gave someone a hot dog is a New England style bun literally nobody would be like “what is that?” It just is a tiny deviation of where/home much crust there is.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Chicago deserves 1, not 1a. It's up there with ATL, imo.

Their drill scene has been the most impactful style of music in the past decade easily. You have rappers in London emulating their whole wave. I remember After "Don't Like" dropped everyone here was wearing jean jackets lol.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Again that’s such a minute deviation from the Norm if you were not familiar with the particular brands you’d be like “Oh a Graphic T”

Same thing with half-smokes if you just gave one to someone not from DC they’d say “oh a Chili Dog”

Just like if you gave someone a hot dog is a New England style bun literally nobody would be like “what is that?” It just is a tiny deviation of where/home much crust there is.
There is a reason people not from DC can’t understand GOGO music, DC fashion, DC slang, and everything else about DC. It’s so unique you need a local connection to the neighborhoods to understand. I mean, even national released music like Wale’s Clappas with Nikki Minaj is calling out neighborhoods in DC which I’m sure you outsiders were like what is he talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City