Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 10:35 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times

Advertisements

UE you didn’t go to that party tonight it looks kinda lit bro, missed out. Lotta jawns in there https://instagram.com/stories/silkrn...dium=copy_link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 10:39 PM

119 posts, read 37,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
UE you didn’t go to that party tonight it looks kinda lit bro, missed out. Lotta jawns in there https://instagram.com/stories/silkrn...dium=copy_link
I heard lol. Nah, but I just played the crib for tonight.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I heard lol. Nah, but I just played the crib for tonight.
Almost look like Howard Theatre in there lol, almost. It’s legit that they put that on in Big Night Live and not in some joint like the Strand where 85 South has to perform.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:50 PM

809 posts, read 470,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Again, I'm not debating DC's uniqueness or robustness. I arguing that relative to its black population, their influence in mainstream black culture is underwhelming and that it's not Tier One. I can list a whole bunch of things for Boston like you just did for DC, doesn't make it any more identifiable on a national scale.

Nah I was referring to another poster who said that the DC accent sounded like Detroit. Although I disagree with him, we both share the sentiment that the DC accent isn't really identifiable outside of the DMV. It really just blends in with the majority of black America which is southern-influenced.

Boston being on the outside of black America has nothing to do with my ability to observe. I'm black American with roots from South Carolina, please don't marginalize me due to the city's racist stigma.
DC is definitely Tier One in Black Culture and still very robust in the midst of a wealth boom in the District. I'm just thinking about half-smokes, the "Quiet Storm," Howard's everlasting presence (the school the VP attended as an undergrad), the center for Black Buppies, the place where Federal Black politicians spend a lot of their time. To say otherwise about DC's influence is just nonsense and doesn't fully appreciate the textured and multi-dimensional nature of the Black community.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Quote:
Street Dc dudes talk like they got marvels in their mouth. Idk what the hell they be saying. But most blacks people in DC are pretty damn clear i their speech with the only identifiable thing for me being how they say “Uhric” (or Urk) and not “Air-rick” for “Eric” Baltimore is more clear despite the urban hillbilly sound.

Philly DC and Bmore all have these guttural sounding things

Thurl, jawn, drawlin, ard, irkin, “oo” , murland

It’s like this deep round “uh” sound that make me think of hurl and literally hurling.
Thurl..LMAO.
That's old school. I assume it means the same.in all 3 cities.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Thurl..LMAO.
That's old school. I assume it means the same.in all 3 cities.
Ashby compared it to a Boston slang word in another thread and I still don’t really know what it means I told him ima just let that rock lol. Philly slang is fun to say cuz it’s kinda like silly/playful in the backdrop of a hard city. Baltimore’s is fun to say to for obvious reasons.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:24 PM

119 posts, read 37,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
DC is definitely Tier One in Black Culture and still very robust in the midst of a wealth boom in the District. I'm just thinking about half-smokes, the "Quiet Storm," Howard's everlasting presence (the school the VP attended as an undergrad), the center for Black Buppies, the place where Federal Black politicians spend a lot of their time. To say otherwise about DC's influence is just nonsense and doesn't fully appreciate the textured and multi-dimensional nature of the Black community.
Yes, in the black professional world, DC is prominent. All I'm arguing is if this stuff is identifiable to average black person nationally. You can call it immature, but the reason I keep reducing this to music, fashion, and slang is because those are the only things that connect black people of all audiences. All the things you highlighted are really just relevant for one audience outside of half-smokes.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Ashby compared it to a Boston slang word in another thread and I still don’t really know what it means I told him ima just let that rock lol. Philly slang is fun to say cuz it’s kinda like silly/playful in the backdrop of a hard city. Baltimore’s is fun to say to for obvious reasons.
It means that you can fight, or you're not a B*tch. At least that's what it meant back in the day. Probably means that you're not scared to shoot somebody now. I heard that word a lot as a kid when people described my father.

I'm born in raised here, and the accent still cracks me up. My accent isn't as heavy as others, but people out of town notice it on rare occasions. One of my in laws asked me to say "doo-doo" (silly I know), and it sounded like Dew-dew. Lol

Old 03-25-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It means that you can fight, or you're not a B*tch. At least that's what it meant back in the day. Probably means that you're not scared to shoot somebody now. I heard that word a lot as a kid when people described my father.

I'm born in raised here, and the accent still cracks me up. My accent isn't as heavy as others, but people out of town notice it on rare occasions. One of my in laws asked me to say "doo-doo" (silly I know), and it sounded like Dew-dew. Lol
so like "thorough"? ive definitely said hes thorough/im thorough before. but pronounced correctly lol

Old 03-25-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
so like "thorough"? ive definitely said hes thorough/im thorough before. but pronounced correctly lol
No, not like "thorough," they're saying thorough, just incorrectly. That extra syllable got in the way, so they threw it out completely. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City