Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 09:20 AM

119 posts, read 37,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Why is yall sphere so small? Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2CGto5b67I

"Opp" and Pack? Who talks like this. I'm over 30 maybe yall youngsters talk like that. Typical of you to glorify two slang terms from a city and call them a larger cultural exporter. Lmao.

"Jawn and "Bul" are not national people have heard of them just like they've heard of "Bamma" "jont" "young" and "Joe" or "carry" out of DC. Chicago stole "Joe" from DC and DC switched it to "Moe". The more I read these posts, I realize I'm discussing this with a youngster who has little depth to provide into this topic. And probably learns this stuff from instagram hash tags or youtube watching Black culture from afar. Chicago drill has carried a bit, credit to them. When Philly comes up with a sub-genre of music from their local Black culture that isn't derived from anything to do with NYC then come holla at me about comparing it to DC.

You've proven absolutely nothing here.
Me pointing out slang that I hear everyone from rappers to athletes to people I know use in real life indicates my immaturity? You keep over-hyping Go-Go, a genre that has no reach. Lol, I already told you Boston has a small sphere because we don't have the manpower like y'll. And what's sad, is that I really might have the confidence to argue that Boston has bigger names in music than DC right now, which is crazy given the difference in scale size.

Now, we're marginalizing Philly's contribution to battle rap lol. Philly Battle-rap is more relevant than Go-Go. There's battle rapperss from the South and Midwest that have claimed Philly inspired them. See my point, garnering interest from outside your region.

That DC slang you mentioning maybe outside of "Bamma" is not national. People in Boston call anyone below Philly bammas or country. I never even knew that was a DC word.

Your thread title doesn't just ask for uniqueness but also identifiable, which to me means popularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:23 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw.. naw. None of the DC slang is not on the same level of prominence as Jawn and Bull. Even white people know those words. And I heard about them while in HS.

But hey im 1994-born youngster from Boston who knows Opp and Pack. But I do think I have a pretty wide range of worldly experience. Ive been from Maine to Florida at least 3 times, a few different countries/continents ..lived in the hood, went to private school, taught in inner-city schools, taught in DC private schools, lived in PG/BMore, taught at public school at HBCUs, at PWIs, Cali, Nevada, Colorado... Ive seen some stuff.

In the more professional world, DC has more influence nationwide by far. On the more street-level world, Philly does. I don't know if that is an age/generational thing.
The Pakastani dude I my job is out here talking DC slang now. It's hilarious to hear. Again after all you stated we're talking about 2 slang terms and conflating that to an entire sub-culture, which just doesn't equate. If that's Philly's claim to fame than great. But that's exactly why overall it has to be after NYC, DC, New Orleans among others.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah the more I think about it, maybe we should really be talking about the Mid-Atlantic as a distinct region instead of Northeast/East Coast.

I agree, Boston is 100% Northeastern. From the outside, it seems to have almost zero influence from any American region. With the exception of African Americans, all outside influences in Boston come from other countries.
Pretty true.

Boston is not like any American region and is insulated from America with the exception of New York. About 50% of the population is immigrants or 2nd generation like NYC and the black population is pretty much NYC -light with slight differences in regard to accent(barely)/isolation/Cape Verdeans and Adidas over Nike (historically).

My boy from Chicago was with me in Brockton and said it felt like he was in another country. He also stated Boston had the most beautiful African American neighborhoods he had seen and looked into moving there until he saw how it expensive it was.

Most of the national issues that plague the nation like poor schools, lack of healthcare, rising crime, rise republicanism... simply don't penetrate Boston-whatsoever. Even American pastimes like HS and College athletics Happy Hour are virtually or legally non-existent. Our black neighborhoods are also not really suffering from some of the same things other places do (abandonment, divestment, gun store and liquor store on every block..i don't even think we ever had a Sizzler). And haven't since like 1995.

In some respects, it's more like Toronto/London/Dublin and New York had a tiny baby. The black Americans of Boston who are only ~9% of the city now are the only ones bringing in influences from other parts of the country. Mainly NYC and North Carolina. They still did bring and contribute a lot to Boston historically but it all kina got washed away from public memory with bussing.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:25 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
The Pakastani dude I my job is out here talking DC slang now. It's hilarious to hear. Again after all you stated we're talking about 2 slang terms and conflating that to an entire sub-culture, which just doesn't equate. If that's Philly's claim to fame than great. But that's exactly why overall it has to be after NYC, DC, New Orleans among others.

I never heard DC slang not like within 10 miles of DC honestly. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've heard people use Bama when talking about "DC Bamas" but that might have been in DC when my then gf was attending American and telling me about the Bamas she saw at Adams Morgan Mcdonalds lol.

Sure i don't disagree. But NOLA?? naw... NOLA black cultural impact outside of Music i dont see it. Philyl is definitely above NOLA.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Me pointing out slang that I hear everyone from rappers to athletes to people I know use in real life indicates my immaturity? You keep over-hyping Go-Go, a genre that has no reach. Lol, I already told you Boston has a small sphere because we don't have the manpower like y'll. And what's sad, is that I really might have the confidence to argue that Boston has bigger names in music than DC right now, which is crazy given the difference in scale size.

Now, we're marginalizing Philly's contribution to battle rap lol. Philly Battle-rap is more relevant than Go-Go. There's battle rapperss from the South and Midwest that have claimed Philly inspired them. See my point, garnering interest from outside your region.

That DC slang you mentioning maybe outside of "Bamma" is not national. People in Boston call anyone below Philly bammas or country. I never even knew that was a DC word.

Your thread title doesn't just ask for uniqueness but also identifiable, which to me means popularity.
in NJ, we called anyone we considered "country" bammas, but I think most people associate usage of bammas with DC/DMV.

As far as music, Boston has Joyner Lucas, Bia, and Coe Leray (pretty sure she's from NJ in any case). Who else ? I'm honestly not as knowledgeable on current American music anymore lol.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I never heard DC slang not like within 10 miles of DC honestly. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've heard people use Bama when talking about "DC Bamas" but that might have been in DC when my then gf was attending American and telling me about the Bamas she saw at Adams Morgan Mcdonalds lol.

Sure i don't disagree. But NOLA?? naw... NOLA black cultural impact outside of Music i dont see it. Philly is definitely above NOLA.
See what I'm saying. He's overhyping sh*t that only exist in the DMV. I'm giving him clear examples of things that leak out from other cities, but now I gotta be "immature" and "obtaining black culture through YouTube". His only answer to why DC has a small sphere is "Why does Boston have a small sphere?" But I'm the immature one.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post

You might as well exit stage right of the thread because you are going off onto tangents here. Battle rap was not created in Philly. Rap music was not created in Philly, nor Boston, nor any other city on the East Coast.

Blacks in NYC created rap.

Blacks in DC created Go-Go, as well as another genre called "Moombahton". That's 2 out of DC.

Blacks in New Orleans created Jazz, as well as the 90's bounce sound similar to Manny Fresh. That's 2 for them.

Memphis created the Blues.

Detroit has Motown, as well as Black techno. Another city with 2.

Atlanta has much of trap music.

Musically those are the most unique in the country. Much of the rest are spin offs honestly. I mean Chicago has a house music sound with Black DJ's, as does Baltimore. Although these don't really classify as separate genres or sub-genres of music.

Musically those are the most unique in the country. Much of the rest are spin offs. Philadelphia has no uniqueness in that regard. You sound like you're just basing your argument on which videos on Youtube you've seen them most.

You had that chest poked out real early here like you knew SO much about DC Black culture. But looks like you're the one being proven wrong.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
in NJ, we called anyone we considered "country" bammas, but I think most people associate usage of bammas with DC/DMV.

As far as music, Boston has Joyner Lucas, Bia, and Coe Leray (pretty sure she's from NJ in any case). Who else ? I'm honestly not as knowledgeable on current American music anymore lol.
I would say the Top Three would be Joyner Lucas, Bia, Millyz, and Token (I don't really listen to him). These are artists that have songs with the biggest names in the industry(Eminem, J-Cole, Nicki Minaj) and have the ability to travel overseas. Off the top of my head the biggest names out the DMV is Ari Lennox, Wale, and Goldlink.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:37 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Pretty true.

Boston is not like any American region and is insulated from America with the exception of New York. About 50% of the population is immigrants or 2nd generation like NYC and the black population is pretty much NYC -light with slight differences in regard to accent(barely)/isolation/Cape Verdeans and Adidas over Nike (historically).

My boy from Chicago was with me in Brockton and said it felt like he was in another country. He also stated Boston had the most beautiful African American neighborhoods he had seen and looked into moving there until he saw how it expensive it was.

Most of the national issues that plague the nation like poor schools, lack of healthcare, rising crime, rise republicanism... simply don't penetrate Boston-whatsoever. Even American pastimes like HS and College athletics Happy Hour are virtually or legally non-existent. Our black neighborhoods are also not really suffering from some of the same things other places do (abandonment, divestment, gun store and liquor store on every block..i don't even think we ever had a Sizzler). And haven't since like 1995.

In some respects, it's more like Toronto/London/Dublin and New York had a tiny baby. The black Americans of Boston who are only ~9% of the city now are the only ones bringing in influences from other parts of the country. Mainly NYC and North Carolina. They still did bring and contribute a lot to Boston historically but it all kina got washed away from public memory with bussing.
Yeah Boston certainly is much different from the rest of the country. TI can definitely see the western European influence from the street grid to demographics. There's even historically a big Canadian influence in Boston/New England that you just don't see in most of the US. The Lusophone population that is pretty much non-existent outside parts of CA, North NJ, and Southern FL.

DC is unique in another type of way. Both DC and Boston can be said to be outliers on the East Coast. Personally when I think East Coast/Northeast, its NYC, NJ, Philly and that's it. Boston, Baltimore, DC just don't come to mind initially.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You might as well exit stage right of the thread because you are going off onto tangents here. Battle rap was not created in Philly. Rap music was not created in Philly, nor Boston, nor any other city on the East Coast.

NYC created rap.

DC created Go-Go, as well as another genre called "Moombahton". That's 2 out of DC.

New Orleans created Jazz, as well as the 90's bounce sound similar to Manny Fresh. That's 2 for them.

Memphis created the Blues.

Detroit has Motown, as well as Black techno. Another city with 2.

Atlanta has much of trap music.

Musically those are the most unique in the country. Much of the rest are spin offs honestly. I mean Chicago has a house music sound with Black DJ's, as does Baltimore. Although these don't really classify as separate genres.

Musically those are the most unique in the country. Much of the rest are spin offs.

You had that chest poked out real early here like you knew SO much about DC Black culture. But looks like you're the one being proven wrong.
So dude, just go ahead and change the thread title to most unique/robust and remove the "identifiable part". You not even arguing against my point. Go-Go is not identified nationally. NYC created rap but there's a boat load of blacks that associate Battle Rap with Philly. Who cares what a city creates when you don't get acknowledged for it? You scared to answer my questions because it shows how overrated the DMV is outside the influence from the government/political sector.

And Chicago played a huge role in Gospel? Is that not a different Genre? It's funny how you're so quick to marginalize other cities. What about Philly Soul? Graffiti actually started in Philly, not NYC.

What if I told you black people in Boston wore Timbs before those in NYC? Who cares if Boston didn't popularize it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City