Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Didn't most of the BGLOs start at Howard? I'm not in that world so I have no idea. If so, that should count for DC influence. And in general, Howard University has had a huge impact on Black America.
Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta etc. were all started in DC.

Iota's were started in Baltimore the list goes on.

E.B. Henderson the "father of Black basketball" born in raised in Washington DC in 1883, is basically the James Naismith of Black basketball tutelage, and learned directly from him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Henderson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:55 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There lies the issue. You think the thread is about what's most popular, vs what's most unique. With that train of thought of course you would spew things like that, because DC/DMV has probably the most insular local Black culture of any major city in the nation. You all don't know us the way you think you do, just like Blacks in the DC area have never had interest in following outside culture. Which is why for 20 plus years the city came out with no rappers, and held on to it's own. There's so much I could teach you guys on the topic I could write a book honestly.

Examples of unique culture from DC or the DMV area range all over the place. From sports, to accents, to fashion trends etc. Do you know what a pick up game of 33 is? Have you heard of the "DC Blacks"? Black Broadway? The F street block parties of the 2000's, Hains Point? Hogates? Run and Shoot? If you're East Coast and from my generation you'd know.

Do you know about DDTP, Madness, Shooters, Alldaz, and Solbiato? What about "The Museum"? Ask Steph Curry about that one. DMV culture is too insular man, it's not just what yall hear about on a rap song. The city doesn't idolize rappers, nor gangs. DMX got booed off stage here in his prime. There's a local cache that comes with the mentality of Black DC especially going back in prior decades that doesn't get understood by outsiders.

Go-Go is an entire sub genre of music originated from the local Black culture of an American city. That is identifiable no matter how little you like it, or want to diminish that. Go-Go has reached at least 4 continents and been all over the country now. There are people beating their feet in Poland to Go-Go. Def Jam records, and producers like Spike Lee tried their damnest to tap into the culture, but even they got left out. This sub-culture of DC could never be replicated for television, like you all watch on some of your favorite shows. Which is exactly what makes it so unique.

What more has Chicago or Philly provide to Black culture than the examples you mentioned? What trends have they set that DC has not? What makes their accents more unique? How are the clothes they wear that unique or identifiable? How are their foods in the "Black" community more special?

Lol definitely not more East Coast than me cause I'm from the heart of it. Right smack dab in the middle. We got a little bit of everything out here culturally. DC literally held the nickname of "Chocolate City" for decades. There's no debate here. DC is to the East Coast, what NOLA is to the rest of the South, it has always stuck out like a sore thumb in Black culture within it's region. Baltimore, Philly, NYC/NJ have ALWAYS been lumped into one by people outside those places. NYC overshadows them. Boston's Black culture is an afterthought.
I mean I clearly stated before I gave my list, "who cares about uniqueness, it should be more about what leaks from the local city of a culture to the mainstream." Boston Black Culture is unique. Who cares. Uniqueness is overrated. It's about polarity and garnering the interest of those outside your region. DC black culture is not polarizing and it's evident by the fact that you have 1 million plus blacks and no one talks about y'll outside of government jobs. DC is inefficient bottom line.

All I see is excuses. As much influence as Spike Lee has, you feel like he couldn't spotlight GoGo if he really wanted? No, it's because he knew the masses are not interested. Chicago initiated the Drill movement that is domestic and international. Chicago slang like "opp", "pack" are national. And a little birdie actually told me that your beloved "mumbo sauce" actually came from The Chi. Philly played a huge role in the development of Battle Rap and has Jay-Z cosigning multiple of their artist. Philly slang like "jawn" and "young bul" are national.

You haven't countered any of my points. It's all excuses. You're using DC's extreme uniqueness as a shield as to justify why outsiders aren't interested. Why is your sphere of influence so small? Why is it dead by the time you reach Baltimore and Richmond? Why do you have 1 million plus black people and your biggest and only national recognized rapper is Wale? Artist like DDTP, Madness, Shooters, Alldaz, and Solbiato is just the DMV playing the lottery.

Black Boston culture can be an afterthought, which I agree, but we also don't have a million blacks to work with like y'll.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:01 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
I'm making the point that the center of the East Coast bordering North/South makes it more "East Coast". Not more "Northeastern". Obviously Boston is more Northeastern. There are factors of living close to both halves of the coast that make DC unique in that respect.

Example, even though it's an attribute of much of the South, there's HBCU culture through the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic HBCU's are probably 70% plus people from VA on up the East Coast to Boston. This brings a certain dynamic to the mentality and culture of the people either attending those schools or people who live locally near them. The Boston region doesn't have that aspect of HBCU culture.
I could never consider Anything South of DC East Coast when people say "East Coast" they really mean New York style urban... though so why you're in the geographic center the cultural center is Philly. Boston doesn't need transplants from the northeast to instill traditional "East Coast (read: northeastern culture) it's just there. It just is latently East Coast AF. Not that our cultural thing can be compared to the impact/size of DC but that just is what it is. The culture is 100% east coast by default i mean maybe you dont consider New England the East Coast?? lol- idk. Philly has the strongest "traditional" east coast culture.

DC has that too of course but it cant be more cant be"east coast" than a place that literally a 100 miles further east, on the coast, and doesn't have any significant non-east coast influence. That's all. You can't just say DC is more East Coast than Boston and expect that to just rock- it's not something that makes intuitive sense. DC was an easily identifiable southern city for the vast majority of its existence.

I know what you're saying about HBCUs ( i got into Howard Business school and was in my incoming freshman class' FB group, ended up friending many of them on FB and Twitter..never sent me my FinAid package though) but no way is it 70% that highly over exaggerated. Tons of people from all over at Howard. Especially California and Texas and then many of them leave.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I mean I clearly stated before I gave my list, "who cares about uniqueness, it should be more about what leaks from the local city of a culture to the mainstream." Boston Black Culture is unique. Who cares. Uniqueness is overrated. It's about polarity and garnering the interest of those outside your region. DC black culture is not polarizing and it's evident by the fact that you have 1 million plus blacks and no one talks about y'll outside of government jobs. DC is inefficient bottom line.

All I see is excuses. As much influence as Spike Lee has, you feel like he couldn't spotlight GoGo if he really wanted? No, it's because he knew the masses are not interested. Chicago initiated the Drill movement that is domestic and international. Chicago slang like "opp", "pack" are national. And a little birdie actually told me that your beloved "mumbo sauce" actually came from The Chi. Philly played a huge role in the development of Battle Rap and has Jay-Z cosigning multiple of their artist. Philly slang like "jawn" and "young bul" are national.

You haven't countered any of my points. It's all excuses. You're using DC's extreme uniqueness as a shield as to justify why outsiders aren't interested. Why is your sphere of influence so small? Why is it dead by the time you reach Baltimore and Richmond? Why do you have 1 million plus black people and your biggest and only national recognized rapper is Wale? Artist like DDTP, Madness, Shooters, Alldaz, and Solbiato is just the DMV playing the lottery.

Black Boston culture can be an afterthought, which I agree, but we also don't have a million blacks to work with like y'll.
Why is yall sphere so small? Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2CGto5b67I

"Opp" and Pack? Who talks like this. I'm over 30 maybe yall youngsters talk like that. Typical of you to glorify two slang terms from a city and call them a larger cultural exporter. Lmao.

"Jawn and "Bul" are not national people have heard of them just like they've heard of "Bamma" "jont" "young" and "Joe" or "carry" out of DC. Chicago stole "Joe" from DC and DC switched it to "Moe". The more I read these posts, I realize I'm discussing this with a youngster who has little depth to provide into this topic. And probably learns this stuff from instagram hash tags or youtube watching Black culture from afar. Chicago drill has carried a bit, credit to them. When Philly comes up with a sub-genre of music from their local Black culture that isn't derived from anything to do with NYC then come holla at me about comparing it to DC. (DC's actually done this twice).

You've proven absolutely nothing here.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post

But the thread is about uniqueness though.. How and why is that overrated? If you don't want to hear about uniqueness then you'd have to make another thread. Also, I think the DMV is closer to 2 million black than 1 million.

Sidenote: yes Mumbo Sauce is the same as mild Sauce I said that like a week ago..i only know because the Chicago kids at my school brought the mild sauce back to campus after winter break one time. I was like..this is Mumbo Sauce. Its damn near "Red Sauce"

Old 03-24-2022, 09:07 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:

Lol definitely not more East Coast than me cause I'm from the heart of it. Right smack dab in the middle. We got a little bit of everything out here culturally. DC literally held the nickname of "Chocolate City" for decades. There's no debate here. DC is to the East Coast, what NOLA is to the rest of the South, it has always stuck out like a sore thumb in Black culture within it's region. Baltimore, Philly, NYC/NJ have ALWAYS been lumped into one by people outside those places. NYC overshadows them. Boston's Black culture is an afterthought.
I agree with this. DC and Baltimore to a lesser extent stick out in the East Coast.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:

"Jawn and "Bul" are not national people have heard of them just like they've heard of "Bamma" "jont" and "Joe" or "carry" out of DC. Chicago stole "Joe" from DC and DC switched it to "Moe".
You've proven absolutely nothing here.
Naw.. naw. None of the DC slang is not on the same level of prominence as Jawn and Bull. Even white people know those words. And I heard about them while in HS.

But hey im 1994-born youngster from Boston who knows Opp and Pack. But I do think I have a pretty wide range of worldly experience. Ive been from Maine to Florida at least 3 times, a few different countries/continents ..lived in the hood, went to private school, taught in inner-city schools, taught in DC private schools, lived in PG/BMore, taught at public school at HBCUs, at PWIs, Cali, Nevada, Colorado... Ive seen some stuff.

In the more professional world, DC has more influence nationwide by far. On the more street-level world, Philly does. I don't know if that is an age/generational thing.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I agree with this. DC and Baltimore to a lesser extent stick out in the East Coast.
Wait...you agree that DC is more East Coast than Boston?? Or that they're an outlier on the East Coast. Two very different sentiments there.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'm making the point that the center of the East Coast bordering North/South makes it more "East Coast". Not more "Northeastern". Obviously Boston is more Northeastern. There are factors of living close to both halves of the coast that make DC unique in that respect.

Example, even though it's an attribute of much of the South, there's HBCU culture through the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic HBCU's are probably 70% plus people from VA on up the East Coast to Boston. This brings a certain dynamic to the mentality and culture of the people either attending those schools or people who live locally near them. The Boston region doesn't have that aspect of HBCU culture.
Yeah the more I think about it, maybe we should really be talking about the Mid-Atlantic as a distinct region instead of Northeast/East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I could never consider Anything South of DC East Coast when people say "East Coast" they really mean New York style urban... though so why you're in the geographic center the cultural center is Philly. Boston doesn't need transplants from the northeast to instill traditional "East Coast (read: northeastern culture) it's just there. It just is latently East Coast AF. Not that our cultural thing can be compared to the impact/size of DC but that just is what it is. The culture is 100% east coast by default i mean maybe you dont consider New England the East Coast?? lol- idk. Philly has the strongest "traditional" east coast culture.

DC has that too of course but it cant be more cant be"east coast" than a place that literally a 100 miles further east, on the coast, and doesn't have any significant non-east coast influence. That's all. You can't just say DC is more East Coast than Boston and expect that to just rock- it's not something that makes intuitive sense. DC was an easily identifiable southern city for the vast majority of its existence.

I know what you're saying about HBCUs ( i got into Howard Business school and was in my incoming freshman class' FB group, ended up friending many of them on FB and Twitter..never sent me my FinAid package though) but no way is it 70% that highly over exaggerated. Tons of people from all over at Howard. Especially California and Texas and then many of them leave.
I agree, Boston is 100% Northeastern. From the outside, it seems to have almost zero influence from any American region. With the exception of African Americans, all outside influences in Boston come from other countries.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Wait...you agree that DC is more East Coast than Boston?? Or that they're an outlier on the East Coast. Two very different sentiments there.
Nah, sorry see my comment above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City