Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 04:39 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

I would cop some of their gear over Shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmpPqBp3RkE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you, LA is definitely more distinct than DC. From fashion to Slang to Low riders, famous gangs, iconic movies, TV shows, LA wins pretty easily.
He'll never admit that. Imagine if Insecure had been set in DC. We'd have at least 35 threads per day about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-IPBsLlrI

Old 04-09-2024, 05:04 PM

LA Black culture is way more identifiable than DC Black culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFyGXBIyG0

Old 04-09-2024, 05:08 PM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of people. Why do you think so many people know what a Black New Orleans accent sounds like? I'm not quite sure why you're convinced that it's a famous accent that 99% of the English-speaking world could easily recognize.
I should have specified black people. Still, less popular doesn't mean less distinct or unique.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
He'll never admit that. Imagine if Insecure had been set in DC. We'd have at least 35 threads per day about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-IPBsLlrI
Nope. Because it wouldn't be part of any argument I'd make for being identifiable or distinctive. You're just naming popularity shows because you're losing here. Issa's best friend on the show is from PG County. They even had an episode with a girl's Go-go ring tone and talking about PG County (pretty girl county) lol. Did you ever watch it? So unknown we must be.

Why is a show based all the way in LA, so obsessed with pulling DMV culture into it? Riddle me that? Lmao! Because it's local Black culture ain't "Black" enough. I'll answer it for you.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/kyla...h%20the%20bill.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You do realize Kani and Cross Colours started in LA, right? See, the difference between LA and DC is that people actually admire LA's cultural products, and admiration leads to imitation. Nobody wants to wear Sobiato or Madness outside of DC. You can say that's because DC is so special and different, but the reality is that the owners of Sobiato would LOVE to be able to sell their product outside of the DMV. Those guys probably don't have enough annual sales to afford a studio apartment in Navy Yard.
I don't wear Madness or Solbiato and I'm in DC what's your point? LMAO!

Did you wear every local brand in your city growing up? WeROne was out in Houston years back, Rick Ross shouted out Solbiato apparel in a Wale song, it's known. Just admit you're in denial.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-09-2024 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Nope. Because it wouldn't be part of any argument I'd make for being identifiable or distinctive.
It definitely would. You guys bring up Taraji P. Henson so of course you bring up the most popular TV show among Black millennials if it took place in DC. Who do you think you're kidding?

Old 04-09-2024, 05:23 PM

Nelly >>>>>>>> Nike Boots by Wale. St. Louis has definitely been more culturally relevant than DC. This is what I mean by having a cultural ambassador. DC hasn't had one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfzsMQGqrt0

Old 04-09-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
It definitely would. You guys bring up Taraji P. Henson so of course you bring up the most popular TV show among Black millennials if it took place in DC. Who do you think you're kidding?
We don't. You bring her up, like that's the end all be all for DC. She's like one actress. You know how many actress/actors/singers/comedians come out of DC? I feel like I'm entering a new twilight zone here...

Old 04-09-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I should have specified black people. Still, less popular doesn't mean less distinct or unique.
Exactly why it's a redundant argument here.

Again for distinction there's NOLA, DC, NYC, along with the likes of Detroit, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Philly. Those are most of the major hitters, and everywhere else really is just another tier down.

Quote:
Nelly >>>>>>>> Nike Boots by Wale. St. Louis has definitely been more culturally relevant than DC. This is what I mean by having a cultural ambassador. DC hasn't had one.
Sounds like you need to start a cultural ambassador thread then. STL has a very unique accent, and that's about where it stops. Most of that region of the country gets lumped into the country bammas territory by us, we can't tell them apart at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City