Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 12:25 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No, not like "thorough," they're saying thorough, just incorrectly. That extra syllable got in the way, so they threw it out completely. Lol
Force
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 05:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Yes, in the black professional world, DC is prominent. All I'm arguing is if this stuff is identifiable to average black person nationally. You can call it immature, but the reason I keep reducing this to music, fashion, and slang is because those are the only things that connect black people of all audiences. All the things you highlighted are really just relevant for one audience outside of half-smokes.
Just admit your ignorance on the topic and move on. You don't have any answers to the questions I brought up in post 72 of this thread on page 8, proving your lack of knowledge, nor have 0 points on what makes local Black culture in other cities more unique than DC. And you haven't mentioned identifiable factors of music that make Philly or Boston more unique than DC. It's silliness now. You even comparatively have stated Boston's Black culture is somehow more influential or robust, or unique than DC. For that, I doubt anyone in this thread other than maybe BostonBorn is taking you seriously anymore. Posters from multiple cities are even calling you out on this nonsense.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-25-2022 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 05:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm not even from D.C. or Detroit and will tell you D.C. has one of the most identifiable/unique/robust local Black cultures in the nation. Black America knew in the 70's that D.C. was Chocolate City especially when Parliament Funkadelic dedicated an entire song to the city. Not to mention D.C. role as far as Black radio stations and network stations. BET and Urban one just to name a few. Can't forget the Russ Parr Morning show and the legendary Petey Greene. Than there's Howard University. One of the most famous HBCU's in the nation. Plus the long list of famous Black entertainers from D.C. that influenced Black culture for decades. Also Marion Barry was a pretty popular Mayor in the Black community in the 80s and early 90s. D.C. continues to attract Black people from all over the nation while Detroit has been losing it's Black population for quite some time thus losing a bit of it's influence on Black America. Also D.C. is or was one of the few cities that a had a line of Black owned clothing brands that were just as popular as the national urban name brands. D.C. truly moves to the beat of their own drum. People saying otherwise lying to themselves or from Boston. A city on the outside of the center of Black America. Let's just be honest right there.

You said D.C. and Detroit accents sound similar but nah not even. It's obvious you no nothing about D.C. I'm born and raised in East Texas and even I know D.C.'s local Black culture.
All this. Not even one mention of Go-Go music either.

Black culture in DC runs the gamut honestly and spreads across all aspects of the city. Sports, slang, food, local fashion brands, distinctive accent etc. I'll give some other cities their just due now, but would argue in the late 90's era it could have been placed #1 in local culture dynamic. I mentioned earlier it's probably the most insular type of local Black culture of the major big cities, and is pretty hard to infiltrate. Not as welcoming to outsiders but when DC fools with you, they fool with you. Like when rappers like Scarface and Devin would come check in with the top bands in the city. There was a whole DC-Houston connect thing going on for a little while.

Even Stevie Franchise brought the "DC crossover" dribble out there! AI picked that up when he was at G-Town.

https://pattherocacademy.com/blogs/l...ssover-dribble

Watch the 2nd video at 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMVdEnngY0

Old 03-25-2022, 06:58 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default boredatwork

Im not even debating with these guys anymore as it just seems they want to diminish DC black status for whatever reason. All the same reasons they make against DC I can make as well. Nobody is using "force" out here, nobody playing Millyz and yall arent using our slang up there except for "bama" which only a bama would use somebody else's word and not know the origin.
Then yall are using your own group chats convos with your buddies to justify your position. Nobody has ever did that in the history of C-D.
When I think of Boston I think of sports, polarizing accents, white people from the Departed, some foreign black ppl and style- probably some Mitchell and Ness with a fitted hat with air force ones. Now please tell me why Boston is the most robust/ unique/ identifiable black culture because im still missing it.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:12 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default boredatwork

Another thing if a dude from DC vs Baltimore starting "joanin" (roasting or bidding) the first thing a DC dude would say is 3x tall tee's, gold teeth, capri pants, bomber jackets for Bmore style and BMore would say slouch socks, tight jeans, rubber bands around the ankles for DC. Even though these are 2 styles from damn near 20-30 years ago and DC/ Bmore dress more similar now folks are still are able to identify the individual unique style/ identity of both cities of the past.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:15 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Just admit your ignorance on the topic and move on. You don't have any answers to the questions I brought up in post 72 of this thread on page 8, proving your lack of knowledge, nor have 0 points on what makes local Black culture in other cities more unique than DC. And you haven't mentioned identifiable factors of music that make Philly or Boston more unique than DC. It's silliness now. You even comparatively have stated Boston's Black culture is somehow more influential or robust, or unique than DC. For that, I doubt anyone in this thread other than maybe BostonBorn is taking you seriously anymore. Posters from multiple cities are even calling you out on this nonsense.

When did I even remotely apply that Boston was more unique than DC? Please show me where I said Boston was Tier One? Stop being emotional. I gave examples of Philly being more identifiable, you said I was immature for emphasizing slang, fashion, and rap. Like I honestly want you to find my post where I said Boston's Black Culture is somehow more influential or robust than DC. I'm not letting you get away with that, find that post seriously. All you've been doing is twisting my words out of emotion through out the whole thread.

Again, relative to your black population which is almost 2 million, y'll influence in mainstream black culture is underwhelming. The work y'll do in the Black Professional World does not capture everyone's attention and is not identifiable to the average black person.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:23 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's obvious son is probably very young and just wants people to agree with his opinion that DC has no identifiable black culture. Which is a wild position but he's entitled to it.

Quote:
All this. Not even one mention of Go-Go music either.

Black culture in DC runs the gamut honestly and spreads across all aspects of the city. Sports, slang, food, local fashion brands, distinctive accent etc. I'll give some other cities their just due now, but would argue in the late 90's era it could have been placed #1 in local culture dynamic. I mentioned earlier it's probably the most insular type of local Black culture of the major big cities, and is pretty hard to infiltrate. Not as welcoming to outsiders but when DC fools with you, they fool with you. Like when rappers like Scarface and Devin would come check in with the top bands in the city. There was a whole DC-Houston connect thing going on for a little while.

Even Stevie Franchise brought the "DC crossover" dribble out there! AI picked that up when he was at G-Town.

https://pattherocacademy.com/blogs/l...ssover-dribble

Watch the 2nd video at 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMVdEnngY0
the bold is very true lol. Washingtonians do not care for transplants regardless of race lol. DC dudes don't even mess with PG fr fr

Old 03-25-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Im not even debating with these guys anymore as it just seems they want to diminish DC black status for whatever reason. All the same reasons they make against DC I can make as well. Nobody is using "force" out here, nobody playing Millyz and yall arent using our slang up there except for "bama" which only a bama would use somebody else's word and not know the origin.
Then yall are using your own group chats convos with your buddies to justify your position. Nobody has ever did that in the history of C-D.
When I think of Boston I think of sports, polarizing accents, white people from the Departed, some foreign black ppl and style- probably some Mitchell and Ness with a fitted hat with air force ones. Now please tell me why Boston is the most robust/ unique/ identifiable black culture because im still missing it.
No you can't. Boston isn't as black as DC so you can't compare. And again, like I asked homie, when did I say Boston was Tier One? I don't think me or BBMM said anything about Boston influencing DC so I don't understand why you are bringing up "force" or DC cats listening to Millyz. What are you even countering?

Again, you're bringing up sports, polarizing accents, the Departed, etc...for what exactly? Who is saying Boston is the most robust/unique/identifiable black culture? Who is saying it's even more than DC??? What are you and the resident arguing against?

Last edited by upperechelon; 03-25-2022 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 07:36 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Influential, robust and Unique are not synonyms.

Does Atlanta have a more influential and robust black culture than Minneapolis? Yes. Is it more unique? No.

Part of the reason Atlanta, DC, Chicago or whatever have influential communities are because they are similar enough they relate to each other.

Minneapolis’s community is so distinct it has no real influence. Like a massive distinction between Minneapolis and DC or Atlanta is the population is largely devout Muslims from the Horn of Africa. Not African American Methodists. Their food, language, religion is 100% distinct from African American communities.

Similarly Boston’s black community is unique in its demographic make up being largely not African American which distinguishes it from most other cities. For example Boston has a large carnival celebration bevause its Afro-Caribbean population is largely Catholic not Protestant

This thread is debating 3 independent variables. In fact you could argue that influential in Unique are inversely proportional because the more a culture influences others the less Uniwue it becomes since it makes other cultures more like it. If it was simply “most influential” then DC, Atlanta and maybe Detroit would be the only real answers. But that’s not the question

Last edited by btownboss4; 03-25-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Influential, robust and Unique are not synonyms.

Does Atlanta have a more influential and robust black culture than Minneapolis? Yes. Is it more unique? No.

Part of the reason Atlanta, DC, Chicago or whatever have influential communities are because they are similar enough they relate to each other.

Minneapolis’s community is so distinct it has no real influence. Like a massive distinction between Minneapolis and DC or Atlanta is the population is largely devout Muslims from the Horn of Africa. Not African American Methodists. Their food, language, religion is 100% distinct from African American communities.

Similarly Boston’s black community is unique in its demographic make up being largely not African American which distinguishes it from most other cities.

This thread is debating 3 independent variables. If it was simply “most influential” then DC, Atlanta and maybe Detroit would be the only real answers. But that’s not the question

Clearly my point throughout the entire thread. These three things are not synonymous. One minute he claims DC Black Culture is insular, and then gets emotional when I say it's not identifiable to the masses. Do we know that the DMV is heavily black? Yes. Everything that he's highlighting from go-go, DC crossover, slouch socks are things that you have to be from that region to know about. Their influence is limited to the black professional community, that doesn't make it Tier One.

What are we defining as Tier One? How are you arguing that something is insular and identifiable/popular at the same time?

I point out other cities that have qualities that make them more identifiable, he says I'm immature for recognizing said qualities. I never stated that Boston is more unique/robust/identifiable than DC but since he can't counter my initial point, him and his buddies are forcing narratives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City