Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 08:13 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
When did I even remotely apply that Boston was more unique than DC? Please show me where I said Boston was Tier One? Stop being emotional. I gave examples of Philly being more identifiable, you said I was immature for emphasizing slang, fashion, and rap. Like I honestly want you to find my post where I said Boston's Black Culture is somehow more influential or robust than DC. I'm not letting you get away with that, find that post seriously. All you've been doing is twisting my words out of emotion through out the whole thread.

Again, relative to your black population which is almost 2 million, y'll influence in mainstream black culture is underwhelming. The work y'll do in the Black Professional World does not capture everyone's attention and is not identifiable to the average black person.
You're still not answering questions nor proving you have full knowledge of the topic. Then in turn trying to ask us questions.

What is more identifiable of local Black culture in Philly than DC. Same with Boston, New Jersey, city X, city Y, city Z.

You've already mentioned half smokes and mumbo sauce on wings for DC. Please identify that for the other cities and why makes that more unique than local "Black" Washington DC. What foods made popular by local Blacks are known in Philly, Boston, Jersey, any other East Coast cities? I can name this for cities like New Orleans?

You yourself are identifying things about DC that no one has even claimed yet like slouch socks, tf. lol

What other cities have create from scratch their own sub-genre of music that (let alone two). And that sub genre that has been played on at least 4 continents. Has Philly done that, has any other city in the Northeast mid-Atlantic done that other than NYC? Please name specifics and not 3 rappers of yours from the city.

What other cities in the entire country held the nick name "Chocolate City" due to the influence on Black America and influx of successful Blacks all over it's area?

What other cities have created on their own a stream of local clothing apparel lines that dominate the dress/style culture of the young population in their city? Baltimore and DC can came this actually on their own.

You've named nothing unique or first tier about other places, and now just can't admit your lack of knowledge on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 08:27 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Quote:
When did I even remotely apply that Boston was more unique than DC? Please show me where I said Boston was Tier One? Stop being emotional. I gave examples of Philly being more identifiable, you said I was immature for emphasizing slang, fashion, and rap. Like I honestly want you to find my post where I said Boston's Black Culture is somehow more influential or robust than DC. I'm not letting you get away with that, find that post seriously. All you've been doing is twisting my words out of emotion through out the whole thread.

Again, relative to your black population which is almost 2 million, y'll influence in mainstream black culture is underwhelming. The work y'll do in the Black Professional World does not capture everyone's attention and is not identifiable to the average black person.
Is this a joke? How is this even remotely up for debate? Most people know DC has one of the most unique Black cultures anywhere. It may not be liked by other cities, but they would all admit it’s a DC thing. What is nationally known historically about Philadelphia’s Black community that people would identify with?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:29 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're still not answering questions nor proving you have full knowledge of the topic. Then in turn trying to ask us questions.

What is more identifiable of local Black culture in Philly than DC. Same with Boston, New Jersey, city X, city Y, city Z.

You've already mentioned half smokes and mumbo sauce on wings for DC. Please identify that for the other cities and why makes that more unique than local "Black" Washington DC. What foods made popular by local Blacks are known in Philly, Boston, Jersey, any other East Coast cities? I can name this for cities like New Orleans?

You yourself are identifying things about DC that no one has even claimed yet like slouch socks, tf. lol

What other cities have create from scratch their own sub-genre of music that (let alone two). And that sub genre that has been played on at least 4 continents. Has Philly done that, has any other city in the Northeast mid-Atlantic done that other than NYC? Please name specifics and not 3 rappers of yours from the city.

What other cities in the entire country held the nick name "Chocolate City" due to the influence on Black America and influx of successful Blacks all over it's area?

What other cities have created on their own a stream of local clothing apparel lines that dominate the dress/style culture of the young population in their city? Baltimore and DC can came this actually on their own.

You've named nothing unique or first tier about other places, and now just can't admit your lack of knowledge on the topic.
There are plenty of Haitian food and other Afro-Caribbean foods in Boston. Lots of Irish Pubs even sell Jerk Chicken Wings, Minneapolis has Halal Stores everywhere. you know because Black and African American are not synonyms

Old 03-25-2022, 08:30 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Im not even debating with these guys anymore as it just seems they want to diminish DC black status for whatever reason. All the same reasons they make against DC I can make as well. Nobody is using "force" out here, nobody playing Millyz and yall arent using our slang up there except for "bama" which only a bama would use somebody else's word and not know the origin.
Then yall are using your own group chats convos with your buddies to justify your position. Nobody has ever did that in the history of C-D.
When I think of Boston I think of sports, polarizing accents, white people from the Departed, some foreign black ppl and style- probably some Mitchell and Ness with a fitted hat with air force ones. Now please tell me why Boston is the most robust/ unique/ identifiable black culture because im still missing it.
My son said Mitchell and Ness lol…
DC is just a hodgepodge of people from out of town and go go music. The only truly unique thing is gogo, and it sounds like chalk in a chalkboard. I don’t know what a half smoke is so I google it and it’s basically a pit beef/large hot dog. Amazing… anyway, UE takes the opposite feel I that it’s not identifiable but unique. So we have two different opinions

I’m sorry I can’t innovate now? Dude said NYC people worse them geriatric Jordan’s . I think that’s cap.prolly transplants…I just asked the people I know actually in New York. And they immediately said naw.

I already said it’s tier one idk what else y’all want. A back rub?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No you can't. Boston isn't as black as DC so you can't compare. And again, like I asked homie, when did I say Boston was Tier One? I don't think me or BBMM said anything about Boston influencing DC so I don't understand why you are bringing up "force" or DC cats listening to Millyz. What are you even countering?

Again, you're bringing up sports, polarizing accents, the Departed, etc...for what exactly? Who is saying Boston is the most robust/unique/identifiable black culture? Who is saying it's even more than DC??? What are you and the resident arguing against?
I said it’s more unique than DC because it is. I l definitely definitely feel that way. And it’s also way wayyy more insular. But not nearly as identifiable and not as robust. There’s just way too much anti-black immigrant sentiment in this forum. Bordering on xenophobic . So the fact that fundamentally Boston is only like NYC and Miami in that regard is conveniently ignored in favor of Hot Dogs and slang (every city has slang). It’s amusing the cognitive dissonance necessary to ignore tha basic foundation of the culture at least in that regard. Additionally, I don’t really get on here and talk about all the different hair patches you see in DOT, the Adidas thing, the north face tech jackets because it won’t resonate with these posters- they can’t picture it. And that’s not their fault but you’re talking to people with massive familiarity with their own city and none of Boston so it like two warring factions right now.

Posters who don’t like what you have to say about their city will try to Say “-oh yeah? Well Boston blah blah blah” like fam when I first started posting in this thread I didn’t even mention Boston fr. This keeps them from havi NY to acknowledge good points made about DC and the class divide and the lack of film/tv representation, and transplant heaviness. Boston posters wil acknowledge Boston shortcomings where’s as DC posters really never do. Not just here but on anything. Anything short of positive or worship is sacrilege..you’ll see

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-25-2022 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 08:37 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:

You've already mentioned half smokes and mumbo sauce on wings for DC. Please identify that for the other cities and why makes that more unique than local "Black" Washington DC.

What local Black cuisines/foods are known in Philly, Boston, Jersey, any other East Coast cities? I can name this for cities like New Orleans.

I already explained to you the things that make Philly more identifiable, whether it be slang, music, fashion. You're going to say I'm immature for emphasizing those things but that's the only way you can export the local culture of your city to the masses. DC being this giant in the black professional world is cool, but that's only influencing a particular community. A tier one city to me, influences the widest audience.

You keep bringing up Boston, Jersey, etc....Bro, look at my first post, I said my Tier One cities are: NYC, CHI, ATL, PHI, HOU. These cities have influence in more than just the black professional world. Why do you keep bringing up Boston vs. DC?

Everything that I mentioned about the DMV is due to me having family down there as I've mentioned multiple times. Not because y'll culture is so identifiable that I can recognize it from Boston. I don't know why you keep ignoring that. Nothing about DC is in my face 24/7 when I go onto black media outlets, or have conversations with friends and family across the country.

How do you argue that DC culture is the "most insular", and get mad when I say it's not identifiable from a distance? You and the other guy were listing things such as Half-Smokes, Go-Go, Howard Homecoming, Chocolate City, Marion Berry etc...I can make a similar list of black contributions from Boston, it won't make Boston any more identifiable in your eyes will it? Naw, it'll just be the irrelevant city known for racism.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that identifiable/unique/robust are not synonymous. And is Go-Go really it's own genre? It's a sub-genre of funk that emphasizes call and response. Let's not make it be this out-of-world creation.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Influential, robust and Unique are not synonyms.

Does Atlanta have a more influential and robust black culture than Minneapolis? Yes. Is it more unique? No.

Part of the reason Atlanta, DC, Chicago or whatever have influential communities are because they are similar enough they relate to each other.

Minneapolis’s community is so distinct it has no real influence. Like a massive distinction between Minneapolis and DC or Atlanta is the population is largely devout Muslims from the Horn of Africa. Not African American Methodists. Their food, language, religion is 100% distinct from African American communities.

Similarly Boston’s black community is unique in its demographic make up being largely not African American which distinguishes it from most other cities. For example Boston has a large carnival celebration bevause its Afro-Caribbean population is largely Catholic not Protestant

This thread is debating 3 independent variables. In fact you could argue that influential in Unique are inversely proportional because the more a culture influences others the less Uniwue it becomes since it makes other cultures more like it. If it was simply “most influential” then DC, Atlanta and maybe Detroit would be the only real answers. But that’s not the question
Right and that's why I can tell you all have little knowledge about a DC's Black culture.

DC dominates all 3.

Influence

Comes from either artists, comedians, athletes, actors, actress whomever. Dave Chapelle, Taraji P Henson, Martin Lawrence, Marvin Gaye, Charles Drew, Kevin Durant, Carla Hall etc. etc. I could literally name over 100 people. Just want you to understand the differences of what's being discussed.

Robust

Would relate to current "Black DC" or the greater DMV. So having the most Blacks with graduate degrees, most blacks with Bachelor's degrees in a metro area. Top 3 or so in Black entrepreneurs on a tier with ATL, NYC. Most HBCU graduates in the metro area, or top 2/3 nationally. More black doctors, dentists, lawyers etc. than almost all metro areas, if not by total definitely per capita. etc.

Unique

Would entail much of what I've already covered here in my posts.

Urban fashion lines created in that city that permeate the city/regions culture to the point that the locals style has a distinction or look to it.

Creation of an entire sub-genre of music that no other city came up with, and was not a knock off on another region. Then just like the fashion styles spreading across that cities culture to give it an even more greater distinction.

Foods that are popularized by Blacks and in the Black community that now have expanded beyond the black community in that city i.e. mumbo sauce, half smoke etc.

Sports: whether it be specific games played or style of play, i've already mentioned. DC/DMV is the only area where a game of 33 is played in pick up basketball that I know of. Everywhere else they play to 21, which may explain the durability of so many players coming out of the DMV. The "DC crossover" was popularized in DC, Allen Iverson learned this while playing at Georgetown, took it to the NBA, and then made his mark "crossing over" Michael Jordan.

I just gave you the cliff notes version however. Like I stated I could write a book on this, but got money to make. No time for all that. Google is you guys friend.

Quote:
There are plenty of Haitian food and other Afro-Caribbean foods in Boston. Lots of Irish Pubs even sell Jerk Chicken Wings, Minneapolis has Halal Stores everywhere. you know because Black and African American are not synonyms
That's great they all have African/Caribbean immigrants. DC even further dominates this. I didn't even bring up Ethiopian/East Africans, and Caribbean Blacks here. We're talking about what grew organically from that city and wasn't imported from another country.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
They don’t like Black immigrants here bro. They don’t count as black or at least are like 3/5ths of a black person lol. I remember years ago a poster told me Boston problem was it had too many black immigrants. They also said NYC isn’t that important to black America because of the immigrants. And they had an over inflated sense of relevance: this was 2/3 years ago.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:47 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Right and that's why I can tell you all have little knowledge about a DC's Black culture.

DC dominates all 3.

Influence

Comes from either artists, comedians, athletes, actors, actress whomever. Dave Chapelle, Taraji P Henson, Martin Lawrence, Marvin Gaye, Charles Drew, Kevin Durant, Carla Hall etc. etc. I could literally name over 100 people. Just want you to understand the differences of what's being discussed.

Robust

Would relate to current "Black DC" or the greater DMV. So having the most Blacks with graduate degrees, most blacks with Bachelor's degrees in a metro area. Top 3 or so in Black entrepreneurs on a tier with ATL, NYC. Most HBCU graduates in the metro area, or top 2/3 nationally. More black doctors, dentists, lawyers etc. than almost all metro areas, if not by total definitely per capita. etc.

Unique

Would entail much of what I've already covered here in my posts.

Urban fashion lines created in that city that permeate the city/regions culture to the point that the locals style has a distinction or look to it.

Creation of an entire sub-genre of music that no other city came up with, and was not a knock off on another region. Then just like the fashion styles spreading across that cities culture to give it an even more greater distinction.

Foods that are popularized by Blacks and in the Black community that now have expanded beyond the black community in that city i.e. mumbo sauce, half smoke etc.

Sports: whether it be specific games played or style of play, i've already mentioned. DC/DMV is the only area where a game of 33 is played in pick up basketball that I know of. Everywhere else they play to 21, which may explain the durability of so many players coming out of the DMV. The "DC crossover" was popularized in DC, Allen Iverson learned this while playing at Georgetown, took it to the NBA, and then made his mark "crossing over" Michael Jordan.

I just gave you the cliff notes version however. Like I stated I could write a book on this, but got money to make. No time for all that. Google is you guys friend.

That's great they all have African/Caribbean immigrants. DC even further dominates this. I didn't even bring up Ethiopian/East Africans, and Caribbean Blacks here. We're talking about what grew organically from that city and wasn't imported from another country.
Again if what is “Unique” about the DC black community is a Chili Dog or a slightly longer game of 21, (let me tell you how many variations of HORSE there are) and sneaker heads that’s a fundamentally different level than say the Minneapolis Black Community which is not a regional spin on African American (well Basketball is just American Culture) culture but a totally utter different culture.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:50 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I said it’s more unique than DC because it is. I l definitely definitely feel that way. And it’s also way wayyy more insular. But not nearly as identifiable and not as robust. There’s just way too much anti-black immigrant sentiment in this forum. Bordering on xenophobic . So the fact that fundamentally Boston is only like NYC and Miami in that regard is conveniently ignored in favor of Hot Dogs and slang (every city has slang). It’s amusing the cognitive dissonance necessary to ignore tha basic foundation of the culture at least in that regard. Additionally, I don’t really get on here and talk about all the different hair patches you see in DOT, the Adidas thing, the north face tech jackets because it won’t resonate with these posters- they can’t picture it. And that’s not their fault but you’re talking to people with massive familiarity with their own city and none of Boston so it like two warring factions right now.

Posters who don’t like what you have to say about their city will try to Say “-oh yeah? Well Boston blah blah blah” like fam when I first started posting in this thread I didn’t even mention Boston fr. This keeps them from havi NY to acknowledge good points made about DC and the class divide and the lack of film/tv representation, and transplant heaviness. Boston posters wil acknowledge Boston shortcomings where’s as DC posters really never do. Not just here but on anything. Anything short of positive or worship is sacrilege..you’ll see
The only time I mentioned Boston in this thread is when he would counter with things like "Why is Boston's sphere of influence so small?" Dude is arguing out of emotion.

He says DC has the most "insular" black culture, but also wants it be recognized as one of the most identifiable/popular cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City