Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 10:17 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
...Why do people keep latching on to unique? The title says
"cities with most identifiable/unique/robust local black culture"

Having a global impact is identifiable as well as robust.
Because they’re claiming DC wins all 3 which is fairly untenable because influential and unique are inversely proportional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 10:27 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
...Why do people keep latching on to unique? The title says
"cities with most identifiable/unique/robust local black culture"

Having a global impact is identifiable as well as robust.
If every city is wearing the same thing, listening to the same thing, saying the same thing, how is it unique?

If you have this conversation with kids that are 14, they have no clue what we are talking about because everyone wears the exact same thing now. They all have access to listen to the same thing now. Social media has destroyed any sense of uniqueness across the entire world.

Has anyone realized that the rise in Afrobeats and African culture started with the rise in social media. All of a sudden, African people were no longer "African Booty Scratchers" because social media showed a very modern civilized African that changed the image of Africa for most Black American people.

DC was and still is the only city with local clothing designers. They aren't as popular anymore ever sense the rise of social media. I think the change started in 2004-2005 from my memory. That's when local teens in DC started wearing Aeropostale and Abercrombie. It coincided with the rise of the bounce GoGo beat. I have so many memories from that time. I was there when TCB was an underband at the HotShopp playing before UCB and they hit A$$ Clap for the first time. Nobody knew that was the birth of bounce beat. Crazy times....

Old 03-25-2022, 10:29 AM

21,632 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHYK8mVx10

Resident/MDAllStar, this is actually something that started in and LEFT the Boston area. Not something that only Boston people find cool or unique. Even had NYC and Baltimore sportin' it.
Yea I forgot we started Stop Snitchin tees. But I remember it So bad the mayor had to ban the sale of the shirts because he attributed it to the rising gun violence at that time-which looking back. Is that even constitutional?

A lot of things Boston isnt allowed to claim credit for because we lack the respect of other cities. Were expected to humbly pretend that wasnt us. Whereas some cities can kinda just call anything theirs or unique and it's taken at face value because of reasons. Namely NYC (which resident09 did touch on earlier).

Old 03-25-2022, 10:33 AM

119 posts, read 37,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I forgot we started Stop Snitchin tees. But I remember it So bad the mayor had to ban the sale of the shirts because he attributed it to the rising gun violence at that time-which looking back. Is that even constitutional?

A lot of things Boston isnt allowed to claim credit for because we lack the respect of other cities. Were expected to hubly pretend that wasnt us. Whereas some cities can kinda just call anything theirs or unique and it's taken at face value because of reasons. Namely NYC (which resident09 did touch on earlier).
It was bad. Menino was cool with it at first, but as you know, '05-'06 was HOT. He needed something to blame.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:34 AM

So I just watched this DC Crossover. Cmon now....

that's one DC dude mentioning "that DC Crossover" but I chalk that up to the "mecca mentality" I say "Boston/ Roxbury Floater" all the time (s/oalen Adams/Shabazz Napier) that dont make it legit... just a lil something I noticed.

'Nobody knew who Allen Iverson was (hahah) until we taught him how to play basketball 'lmaoo that cant be serious yo...is that satire?? He don't even look like he believes that. I didn't click it looking for fault. I thought it was gonna give us like at least 10-20 seconds on what makes it a "DC crossover"

Old 03-25-2022, 10:39 AM

911 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
He says DC has the most "insular" black culture, but also wants it be recognized as one of the most identifiable/popular cities.
But wouldn't you say that the more insular and inward a culture is, the more pronounced it becomes? Take Japan or South Korea for example, they were isolated and could not be accessed by foreigners for centuries and they have some of the most recognizable languages, foods, traditional clothing, entertainment, martial arts, and customs in the entire world. To stand out, you have to be doing things that you cannot or will not find in other places; things typically developed and cultivated in-house with no outside influences...which is the point of the thread.

Rap as a culture in itself is losing its flair and grandiose, it's been appropriated by the entire world by now. At one point or another, black culture would need to step away from the confines of rap and create a new cultural pivot; which I think DC would be better prepared for than most cities. If rap were to suddenly lose its cool and no longer make a profit, many many cities would be in trouble.

Also, I don't think you should conflate "identifiable" and "popular". Those are two completely different words.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
So I just watched this DC Crossover. Cmon now....

that's one DC dude mentioning "that DC Crossover" but I chalk that up to the "mecca mentality" I say "Boston/ Roxbury Floater" all the time (s/oalen Adams/Shabazz Napier) that dont make it legit... just a lil something I noticed.

'Nobody knew who Allen Iverson was (hahah) until we taught him how to play basketball 'lmaoo that cant be serious yo...is that satire?? He don't even look like he believes that. I didn't click it looking for fault. I thought it was gonna give us like at least 10-20 seconds on what makes it a "DC crossover"
Maybe we can't prove that, but.....

No musical genre comes close to the energy or uniqueness of GoGo and it's not close. I was at this show. All ages welcomed in 2003. Show something similar that is unique to your city and can't be found anywhere else in the world?

Go to the 2:15 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsVsXZKd0LA

Old 03-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

DC was and still is the only city with local clothing designers.
Is it a competition with NYC for most bubble mindset. Do you legit believe this? Mad of the stuff I see in Boston is from LTD, KOR, MY HOME MY HELL. But I'm sure there's this stuff in so many other cities too.I know Boston clothing designers and brands but id never be like "only we do this" what?

LTD now has imprints in Detroit, Cali, New York, Chicago, Flordia and Philly. But make no mistake its a boston brand marketed with Boston people started in Boston. many of the Patriots/Celtics wear it.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Is it a competition with NYC for most bubble mindset. Do you legit believe this? Mad of the stuff I see in Boston is from LTD, KOR, MY HOME MY HELL. But I'm sure there's this stuff in so many other cities too.I know Boston clothing designers and brands but id never be like "only we do this" what?

LTD now has imprints in Detroit, Cali, New York, Chicago, Flordia and Philly. But make no mistake its a boston brand marketed with Boston people started in Boston. many of the Patriots/Celtics wear it.
When did they begin? Before DC introduced urban fashion to the world including NYC in the 1980's or after?

Old 03-25-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When did they begin? Before DC introduced urban fashion to the world including NYC in the 1980's or after?

Around 2009.

to the world? we've never heard of this(!!) Didn't you just say it was hyper local. Why do we keep ping-ponging back and forth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City