Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 10:51 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
THE DMV BRANDS THAT BIRTHED STREETWEAR CULTURE

DC is probably the only city in America where Black kids not wearing a local brand would be called a bama and shunned by their peers. Growing up, I only wore Madness, City Life, and W-R-One. We did wear WB for a little though. I also would wear some of my man’s and them personalized shorts and shirts.

We had headbands with our neighborhood on them and rubber bands around our ankles so people could see our shoes. Everyone had either corn rolls or plats with beads or bottle caps at the ends headed to see Backyard, UCB, Northeast Groovers/911/What Band, Raw Image, TCB, and CCB.
The fits in the link are fly lol.
Any of these brand still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 10:52 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
But wouldn't you say that the more insular and inward a culture is, the more pronounced it becomes? Take Japan or South Korea for example, they were isolated and could not be accessed by foreigners for centuries and they have some of the most recognizable languages, foods, traditional clothing, entertainment, martial arts, and customs in the entire world. To stand out, you have to be doing things that you cannot or will not find in other places; things typically developed and cultivated in-house with no outside influences...which is the point of the thread.

Rap as a culture in itself is losing its flair and grandiose, it's been appropriated by the entire world by now. At one point or another, black culture would need to step away from the confines of rap and create a new cultural pivot; which I think DC would be better prepared for than most cities. If rap were to suddenly lose its cool and no longer make a profit, many many cities would be in trouble.

Also, I don't think you should conflate "identifiable" and "popular". Those are two completely different words.
I agree that DC culture, once you get to know it, through travel or relationships, is very pronounced and unique. I've conceded that in many posts.

What I'm arguing is that its relevance to the masses is mainly through the black professional world. To me a Tier One black city influences multiple audiences. Let's be real, it's not like NYC, CHI, and HOU don't appeal to black professionals as well, so DC isn't completely unique in that regard.

How can you say Rap is losing its flair and grandiose? In 2022, it's bigger than ever and receiving contributions from many small-market cities.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:54 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Around 2009.

to the world? we've never heard of this(!!) Didn't you just say it was hyper local. Why do we keep ping-ponging back and forth?
Well you did give us credit for shoes. The urban fashion is back in the 1990's.

Quote:
Dc still set footwear trends in the 2010s everyone else (most places) is wearing DC not the other way around.

But also I just think GoGo doesn’t sound good unless you were introduced to it in a GoGo club/party. I don’t like it and that’s what everyone tells me. Rising rents force local establishment to close their doors. And then yea you all have so many NYers coming down and so much overlap with Atlanta... I have a friend from Newark New Jersey I was talking to a few days ago and he told me new likes Memphis and DC rap so I guess that’s what you’re talking about.

More isolated places like Oakland and to a lesser extent LA seem to have been able to better retain local culture. I love Bay Area music because it sound so different than what you hear most places. DC rappers sound super southern to me. And IDK about Quiet Storm and soul in DC nowadays...

Old 03-25-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Chicago deserves 1, not 1a. It's up there with ATL, imo.

Their drill scene has been the most impactful style of music in the past decade easily. You have rappers in London emulating their whole wave. I remember After "Don't Like" dropped everyone here was wearing jean jackets lol.
I agree; not only that but their influence of black business and politics. Cook County is still the county with the most black people also.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The fits in the link are fly lol.
Any of these brand still around?
Yeah, they are. Shooters, Madness, and AllDaz are still around. I actually know Curtis Chambers who started AllDaz.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
But wouldn't you say that the more insular and inward a culture is, the more pronounced it becomes? Take Japan or South Korea for example, they were isolated and could not be accessed by foreigners for centuries and they have some of the most recognizable languages, foods, traditional clothing, entertainment, martial arts, and customs in the entire world. To stand out, you have to be doing things that you cannot or will not find in other places; things typically developed and cultivated in-house with no outside influences...which is the point of the thread.

Rap as a culture in itself is losing its flair and grandiose, it's been appropriated by the entire world by now. At one point or another, black culture would need to step away from the confines of rap and create a new cultural pivot; which I think DC would be better prepared for than most cities. If rap were to suddenly lose its cool and no longer make a profit, many many cities would be in trouble.

Also, I don't think you should conflate "identifiable" and "popular". Those are two completely different words.
Say it louder for the people in the back!!!! I have been saying this for 3 pages. If I can find or experience what your city says is unique without it being a traveling band (music), pop up restaurant (food), or visiting tourist (clothes), then it's no longer unique to your city. NYC can no longer claim rap for this very reason. DC can still claim GoGo.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:

Bingo! Precisely the point here. If it's not understood by now, there's not much else discussion to be had here.

You can mention "drill music" going global, or a couple of popular slang words all you want. It makes them 0% more unique than the next city. Now on influence sure, but that's not the thread's topic. Drill also isn't it's own genre or even a sub-genre. It's just mixes of trap and other forms of rap music.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Bingo! Precisely the point here. If it's not understood by now, there's not much else discussion to be had here.

You can mention "drill music" going global, or a couple of popular slang words all you want. It makes them 0% more unique than the next city. Now on influence sure, but that's not the thread's topic. Drill also isn't it's own genre or even a sub-genre. It's just mixes of trap and other forms of rap music.
On the topic of drill, I think you can definitely see unique difference between the main scenes: Chicago, NYC, and UK. but that may be a topic for another thread.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Not competing with DC ..just sharing culture. aside from Adidas, and the very rare Adidas CNPCTS store in Boston. Boston is known for Bodega and Bodega Pirate Radio. There's a 2nd store they opend up in LA some years back but thats it. They have likelive mixes associated with the store and stuff as a lifestyle brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNcVr1OLqws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puai1YWF71Y

"Philly cheeseteak im in Philly w/ snow bunnies. Bodega out in Boston f*ck it, lets cop something"- Larry June, 3rd girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8YnWwWjqY
I appreciate the insight and cultural updates on Blacks in Boston.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:37 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well you did give us credit for shoes. Urban fashion is back in the 1990's.
no one knew of those shoes like that back in "the 80s" like u originally said though. IJS to say DC introduced urban fashion not "Fashions" to NYC is kinda wild.

Foam Nike Boots and NB didn't move until 2009/2010 Ironically NB is a Boston brand. The DC brands didn't reach.

Yes, I've been told GoGo is better in a GoGo club. But that music in general. I really just personally can't do gogo. Maybe a little Chuck Brown i can do- but the new stuff where they remix and sing/screech over popular music is intolerable to me. But that's me.

DC in the balck world is known for more important stuff like Howard and wealth. GoGo is definitely known. I think many people like me think NB got popularized in Bmore, as they just wear it alot more. Its like on the side of Royal Farms arena right now. Ive seen billboards calling it a Baltimore thing. Foams and Nike Boots did travel they were popular everywhere. As I said at the beginning and throughout DC is easily tier 1 but just lack a media presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City