Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 11:27 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nipsey Hussle's video for "Double Up" has 261M views on YouTube.

Wale's video for "Nike Boots" has 2.6M views on YouTube.

Take that how you will.
Nipsey is from the 2nd largest metro in America he should have more views.

Last edited by boreatwork; 04-09-2024 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 11:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I've never came across anyone who didn't know what a NO accent sounds like. It's very distinctive. It actually sounds similar to a Gullah geechee accent. I've heard black people in the northeast not from NYC who sounded like a NYer.
Well, the anecdotal evidence settles it. Nothing more conclusive than "I've never come across..."

The reality is that Black people from New Orleans don't get exposure to the point where people are as familiar with is as they are with other accents. You're making it seem like someone living in Jamaica or Trinidad would be able to recognize a New Orleans accent as easily as they could an Australian one, which simply isn't the case.

Now if you're talking about a Cajun accent, that to me is something entirely different, which I think tends to get associated with people living in the bayou. But that is a fairly recognizable accent.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-09-2024 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-09-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Nipsey is from the 2nd largest metro in America he should have more views.
By that logic, Meek Mill's "Dreams and Nightmares" shouldn't have 50 times as many views as "Nike Boots" since the the Delaware Valley and the DMV are about the same size.

The reality is that DC hasn't had a cultural ambassador to garner Black DC culture recognition on a global level.

Dr. Dre is a wealthy, platimum album artist who gets shout outs from Jay-Z at the Grammys. Chuck Brown could have *maybe* sold out a club in Columbus, Georgia at his peak. That's the difference right there.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:33 PM

I think Black Chicago has a pretty distinctive culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQeXfDwsiM

Old 04-09-2024, 12:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Spoken like a true OG. Houston's own (and he's hipped to it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKi6Ub8toU&t=3847s

This was such a dope convo overall start the video around 1:01:22 mark.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:51 PM

I would tier it this way (as far as widescale recognition goes).

New York
Los Angeles

New Orleans

Philly
DC
Baltimore
Atlanta

Detroit
Chicago
Houston

Old 04-09-2024, 12:59 PM

Sure if that's how you see fit regarding "recognition". My order would be different and LA definitely is not 2nd IMO, but they are a huge cultural exporter so I hear you. If LA is on that list you need Oakland to be close and it's not on your list.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Sure if that's how you see fit regarding "recognition".
I mean, these are your words.

Quote:
Meaning running into a person from that place anywhere on the planet you would most easily be able to identify where they are from.
For DC to be a top tier city according to your own stated criteria, the Black culture would need to be famous to the point where people worldwide would be able to recognize it. Nobody is going to know about DC because there are few if any very famous celebrities from there and it doesn't get any media exposure outside of politics.

Quote:
If LA is on that list you need Oakland to be close and it's not on your list.
How many Black films have Los Angeles filming credits compared to Oakland?

Old 04-09-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I mean, these are your words.

For DC to be a top tier city according to your own stated criteria, the Black culture would need to be famous to the point where people worldwide would be able to recognize it. Nobody is going to know about DC because there are few if any very famous celebrities from there and it doesn't get any media exposure outside of politics.

How many Black films have Los Angeles filming credits compared to Oakland?
How does someone not from California find the distinction in the two? If someone walked in the room from Oakland or LA right now, how would I identify them differently, or better yet separate them from a Black person from Sacramento, or Phoenix, or AZ? To me it's all Western regional culture in large part. Sure there are some basic nuances, or slang terms, but I don't see a heavy distinction. Like I said on that Juju video, to me she sounds like she could be from anywhere out there.

On the East Coast alone you have at least 3/4 major identifiably different Black cultural bubbles ranging from DC, Baltimore, to Philly, NY/NJ etc. that stand out. There are lots and lots of celebrities from DC or the DMV overall, as much as most places. The difference is like I said because of the insular culture based here, many don't wave the flag placing that on the forefront outside of rappers which DC has less of. DC exports Black excellence outside of the rap industry at a pretty good clip which is different in and of itself.

Did you watch the Bun B video? He's from Houston and says it himself. The local culture in DC is very well known and among many circles in the industry especially going back multiple generations. Your downplay is serious right now.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-09-2024 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-09-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
How does someone not from California find the distinction in the two? If someone walked in the room from Oakland or LA right now, how would I identify them differently, or better yet separate them from a Black person from Sacramento, or Phoenix, or AZ? To me it's all Western regional culture in large part. Sure there are some basic nuances, or slang terms, but I don't see a heavy distinction. Like I said on that Juju video, to me she sounds like she could be from anywhere out there.
I don't agree with that. Chucks, plaid and khakis are a distinctive LA thing. You're downplaying the distinctiveness of their style and speech.

Quote:
There are lots and lots of celebrities from DC or the DMV overall, as much as most places.
C and D-Listers, for sure. Nobody on that Jay-Z, Dr. Dre level who has really put DC culture on the map. Most people wouldn't even know Taraji Henson is from Maryland. They'd only know that by reading her Wiki page.

Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube introduced the whole world to a culture and style many people knew little if anything about. So did movies like Boyz in the Hood, Menace 2 Society and The Wood and TV shows like Moesha. It's to the point where Crenshaw HS is probably the most famous predominantly Black high school in the world.

DC's never had anything like that. Baltimore at least had The Wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City