Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 02:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You would have to really be exposed to the two accents to be able to distinguish them. For people who have not had this exposure, they pretty much sound the same.

It's no different from most American blacks hearing a Bajan and Trini accent and saying "it's from the islands." Though I would say there is far more phonological difference between a Bajan and Trini accent than there is between a DC and Baltimore accent.
DC and 757 are part of the same mid-Atlantic Chesapeake region, so that makes perfect sense. I've long said Tidewater 757 have closest to DMV accent in the country.

No one in DC could tell you the difference of a "Black" NJ accent vs NYC, or CT, let alone the differences in each borough. Growing up, people in the DMV lumped Philly, NJ, NYC and Boston each all into one= NEWWW YORKKK. Heck we even would joke with Baltimore they were part of that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 02:58 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No one in DC could tell you the difference of a "Black" NJ accent vs NYC, or CT, let alone the differences in each borough. Growing up, people in the DMV lumped Philly, NJ, NYC and Boston each all into one= NEWWW YORKKK. Heck we even would joke with Baltimore they were part of that too.
That's understandable. We tend to lump you guys with the rest of the South.

Old 04-09-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you, LA is definitely more distinct than DC. From fashion to Slang to Low riders, famous gangs, iconic movies, TV shows, LA wins pretty easily.
You believe that if you're following the twisting of the narrative that Bajan has been attempting all thread.

Not by what the actual OP question is. What Black owned local brands is LA known for that everyone in multiple hoods or rivaling hoods started sporting? I still haven't heard an answer here. This is also why DC will always be more impressive to me in the sense of home grown Black excellence, rather than waving red or blue flags, people wore certain local Black owned brands here or followed a certain Black led Go-Go band actually doing something relevant in their community rather than following gang culture.

"TV Shows" where's the specificity? Where's the local Black culture in that? You guys are just following the cultural exporter angle without realizing the local culture is not heavily distinct from even other cities in it's own state. It's very robust, so that part of the OP LA is easily top tier. As a city itself or even metro area, Indistinguishable is not how I would describe LA's "Black" specific culture. It's very much a "Cali" thing in general that's so "popular" (which is not what the thread is about), but more distinctive. I for one don't see super "Black cultural" differences across the entire West tbh. Each city seems pretty similar to me from a overall Black culture perspective.

LA has iconic culture overall that includes Black culture, but that's not the same as being indistinguishable or more identifiable as a Black culture than a number of places even smaller cities. Or anything like a chocolate city, ATL, DC, Detroit, etc.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-09-2024 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-09-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's understandable. We tend to lump you guys with the rest of the South.
Which is cool to us, and why NOLA and DC are amongst the most distinct. Bun B just stated this in the video I posted "DC dudes is South dudes that just moved up top", or haven't come back yet". Metaphorically speaking but making sense literally.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:10 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
You would have to really be exposed to the two accents to be able to distinguish them. For people who have not had this exposure, they pretty much sound the same.

It's no different from most American blacks hearing a Bajan and Trini accent and saying "it's from the islands." Though I would say there is far more phonological difference between a Bajan and Trini accent than there is between a DC and Baltimore accent.
The differences between the islands are pronounced, but would definitely sound the same to the untrained ear. I Personally don't think Baltimore and DC have a similar accent except for a couple of words; even those words are pronounced noticeabley different. However, Baltimore has an accent that didn't make it very far outside of 695.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The differences between the islands are pronounced, but would definitely sound the same to the untrained ear. I Personally don't think Baltimore and DC have a similar accent except for a couple of words; even those words are pronounced noticeabley different. However, Baltimore has an accent that didn't make it very far outside of 695.
Off DC and Baltimore alone making up a "dual-metro region" (I know this tickles you), or simply such a place with two different major cities so close, having entirely two different accents, Blaccents, local traditions, style of dress, and being within 35-40 miles of each other and their own spheres of influence, this automatically puts each of them in the top tier uniqueness in the nation. Both while smaller and both lesser of exporters internationally than LA or NYC, can easily be claimed top 5 Black identifiable culture, and they almost have to be just due to proximity/ local pride of the natives on each side. The DC-Baltimore dynamic exists nowhere else among cities this size in the entire United States of America.

I already started an old thread on this with DC-Balt, Chicagoland, and Bay Area as to which was most unique.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:42 PM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
How is it irrelevant when "identifiable" is literally a synonym of "recognizable" and the word "identifiable" is in the thread title?

What do you think this thread is about?

A Black New Orleans accent is probably more recognizable to people on the West Coast, many of whom have relatives from Louisiana. But most Black people on the East Coast (NYC especially) have their roots in the Carolinas and the Caribbean and Africa and don't have much familiarity with that type of speech.
Because a lesser known accent only makes it not identifiable to people who are ignorant to the accent. Once they figure out what a NO accent is, they'll be able to easily identify it. And honestly, who doesn't know what a NO accent is?

Old 04-09-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
And honestly, who doesn't know what a NO accent is?
A lot of people. Why do you think so many people know what a Black New Orleans accent sounds like? I'm not quite sure why you're convinced that it's a famous accent that 99% of the English-speaking world could easily recognize.

Old 04-09-2024, 04:13 PM

The most recognizable accent in English-speaking North America.

Quote:
It is described by sociolinguist William Labov as the most recognizable regional dialect in North America. Its pronunciation system—the New York accent—is widely represented in American media by many public figures and fictional characters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...l%20characters.

Old 04-09-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What Black owned local brands is LA known for that everyone in multiple hoods or rivaling hoods started sporting?
You do realize Kani and Cross Colours started in LA, right? See, the difference between LA and DC is that people actually admire LA's cultural products, and admiration leads to imitation. Nobody wants to wear Sobiato or Madness outside of DC. You can say that's because DC is so special and different, but the reality is that the owners of Sobiato would LOVE to be able to sell their product outside of the DMV. Those guys probably don't have enough annual sales to afford a studio apartment in Navy Yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City