Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 11:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I can easily recognize New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Baltimore (if that's outside of the Northeast like DC) Miami, LA, Oakland, and Chicago. And have been able to do so before going to any of those cities.

Mainstream is whats identifiable. DC has a robust black culture that is unique, but this is not in the mainstream tho no fault of their own... and IMO it picks up attitudes and characteristics of a lot of places due to the transient nature of the black population.
Bro you gotta leave it alone. I've already said this thread is a wrap now because we've gone from what people's knowledge is on Tik Tok and Instagram trends, or only rappers from a certain city. There's no depth here and obviously this discussion has gone nowhere. The thread is titled, most identifiable/unique/robust. Mainstream is the antithesis of unique, and it also doesn't ensure a cities local cultural aspects can be differentiated to another city in it's region. So much of mainstream entertainment no matter where rooted has watered down quality in all aspects. Either way there's tons of mainstream entertainers or artists from DC or the DMV as is, you guys are just honed in on rap artists. I barely listen to modern rap now.

There nuances and differences that are true everywhere, but I highly disagree that people especially in this era could easier identify or differentiate a Black person from Atlanta, or Houston, or an LA person from Oakland, or Sacramento in speech, swag, or style of dress anymore than DC from Baltimore or DC from any other major city which is what this thread is about. I personally would just assume they are from a certain region of the country depending on the interaction. I could not differentiate someone from Chicago and Milwaukee, or other parts of the Midwest instantaneously either. Would I figure it out? Probably, but that's likely after doing some studying/surveying the situation/person. By comparison none of those places have "more" uniqueness to their overall local Black culture than Chocolate City. Equal at best. You guys are just going by rap artists which DC lacks. NOLA and NYC are the only stand outs to me.

DC's always stuck out on the East Coast like a sore thumb for a multitude of reasons. It very much is like NOLA to the Deep South IMO. I see them as equals. It's not just the simple stuff this thread is talking about. There's a uniqueness and robustness to the culture in DC that at least historically is not repeated in at best a small handful of places. Which is why it got the nickname chocolate city. There's already videos posted here in thread of Bun B stating how DC's the culturally unique city on the East Coast.

There's an air about DC that is not exceeded in other Black cities. DC doesn't sweat the "stars" or "star power". There's an insular yet robust Black culture here at the same time which is super hard to replicate, and which is a part of what makes it so unique to other major cities. In addition to the other contributions to Black culture. This goes way deeper than county trendy rappers, and this argument has left you guys.

Two "mainstream" Black actors discussing how DC's always been the hardest place to "make it" like NYC, and the toughest Black crowd to impress.

Watch from 4 min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHWLLvKjt0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 01:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
DC has a robust local black culture, but I wouldn't say that it's easily identifiable. If you met someone from certain cities, you could easily tell where they were from with very little queues to go on. How could someone identify a black Washingtonian as opposed to other cities?

Old 04-10-2024, 01:52 PM

This is on a number of sites, but of all places "Sneaker bar Detroit" has an article on it. I'd like to know which other cities being touted here have a Nike shoe specifically dedicated to their local city or metro area.

https://sneakerbardetroit.com/nike-a...osite-one-dmv/

Old 04-10-2024, 01:55 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC has a robust local black culture, but I wouldn't say that it's easily identifiable. If you met someone from certain cities, you could easily tell where they were from with very little queues to go on. How could someone identify a black Washingtonian as opposed to other cities?
OP did mention an "overall persona." Only thing is that there are few, maybe like 2-3, cities whose denizens have much of a reputation in this sense.

New York - Known for being loud and brash.

New England - I've heard that New Englanders are more reserved but this doesn't really apply to Southern NErs.

Philly - Known for being blue collar tough and beating up Santa. Sorta loud and brash too but NY has more of a reputation for that.

Baltimore - Quirky?

DC - ?

Los Angeles - Laid back. More glam than Bay Area.

Bay Area - More uptight than LA but still laid back

Detroit - Very flashy

Chicago - ?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-10-2024 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-10-2024, 01:58 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York - Known for being loud and brash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oCNXMsMvg

Old 04-10-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I can't tell a Black Chicagoan, or Houstonian, or even Atlantan, from a Black Milwaukeean, Dallas person, or someone from Charlotte in their respective regional neighbor. How are Blacks in those cities more distinctive? DC and Baltimore are far more distinctive by comparison and are 30 miles apart. I'm not saying all those cities don't have distinction to their cultures, because they obviously do, but it certainly is not more of a stand out in my eyes.

Please tell me how you KodeBlue walking down the street would meet one of them and be able to discern the difference to the naked eye or from a 15 second greeting conversation.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I can't tell a Black Chicagoan, or Houstonian, or even Atlantan, from a Black Milwaukeean, Dallas person, or someone from Charlotte in their respective regional neighbor. How are Blacks in those cities more distinctive? DC and Baltimore are far more distinctive by comparison and are 30 miles apart. I'm not saying all those cities don't have distinction to their cultures, because they obviously do, but it certainly is not more of a stand out in my eyes.

Please tell me how you KodeBlue walking down the street would meet one of them and be able to discern the difference to the naked eye or from a 15 second greeting conversation.
Let me be the the first to tell you, Charlotte has no culture. Lol
Black Chicagoan, maybe the accent if anything, or they put everything "on fonem grave," "BD," or "King David
Detroit: probably wearing buffs, and saying "what up doe"
Houston: Accent "H-tiiiine'" or "Move Around" maybe how they customize their cars "slabs"
Dallas: maybe Black dudes wearing mullets?

Old 04-10-2024, 03:33 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Let me be the the first to tell you, Charlotte has no culture. Lol
Black Chicagoan, maybe the accent if anything, or they put everything "on fonem grave," "BD," or "King David
Detroit: probably wearing buffs, and saying "what up doe"
Houston: Accent "H-tiiiine'" or "Move Around" maybe how they customize their cars "slabs"
Dallas: maybe Black dudes wearing mullets?
Black Charlotte does have culture...black southern, new south culture and slang.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Black Charlotte does have culture...black southern, new south culture and slang.
I've been here almost 2 years, and haven't seen it, or heard it. Charlotte doesn't have its own subgenre of music, local cuisine (not including BBQ), no slang that I've heard. I can't think of one thing.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:21 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
I've been here almost 2 years, and haven't seen it, or heard it. Charlotte doesn't have its own subgenre of music, local cuisine (not including BBQ), no slang that I've heard. I can't think of one thing.

Because u were probably around transplants lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City