Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 07:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
First of all I'm definitely black and probably more East Coast than you. Secondly, you like most DC people I know can never give specific examples of y'll influence that leak to Black American culture nationally. Small sphere of influence, yes, by the time you reach Baltimore to the north and Richmond to the south, y'll influence is dead. Trust me I got family in that area. Y'll have over 1+million black Americans in the DMV and it's like I don't even feel it. There's so many cities that have stronger influence with less blacks(Memphis, Detroit, NOLA(in its prime).

Much respect for black DC taking advantage of the government sector and establishing thriving middle-class neighborhoods but y'll underachievers when it comes to cultural export. It gotta be more than New Balances, Helly Hanson, Hugo boss, go-go, slouch socks, etc. None of that sh*t leaks. I got fam down there so I know y'll culture. As BBMM mentioned I'm from Boston so go head and make your slick comment, I know the sequence at this point.
Idk anything outside of Hugo Boss which i didnt know was from DC btw. New balances isn't DC that Baltimore (and it's a Boston brand ironically, wearing NB in most black circles is like white people's Subaru shoes). People don't wear NB outside of Maryland actually. Go-Go is just trash but my older brother liked it when he lived in DC (he's in NYC now). Gimme Bmore Club, please.

I really really don't see how Memphis and Detroit have more influence than DC on a national level at all. I know nothing about Memphis and feel or hear nothing from Memphis outside of the rap. And they're moreso just having one of their moments right now. They're not like unchallenged in the top tier in that either IMO. But really there's no way in hell would I move to Memphis or Detroit like I did DC.

DC has lots of influence in the black professional/political world but if you're on Woodrow Ave in Boston that is irrelevant. But the easy counter is Woodrow Ave is wayyy more irrelevant (no offense, you know I have poeple on that Ave!) were from Boston so I think we need to acknowledge sometimes were operating in an extremely Northeastern bubble in some aspects. Its hard for a citys culture to overpower NYC for us.

When i live in Boston the only thing I knew about DC black culture was Nike Boots. When me and my mother first came down to visit my brother and for me to tour colleges and we liked the area but I didnt see anything particularly unique. And we were in the part of DC that demographically felt more like Boston than Chocolate city. This was early 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:19 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
First of all I'm definitely black and probably more East Coast than you. Secondly, you like most DC people I know can never give specific examples of y'll influence that leak to Black American culture nationally. Small sphere of influence, yes, by the time you reach Baltimore to the north and Richmond to the south, y'll influence is dead. Trust me I got family in that area. Y'll have over 1+million black Americans in the DMV and it's like I don't even feel it. There's so many cities that have stronger influence with less blacks(Memphis, Detroit, NOLA(in its prime).

Much respect for black DC taking advantage of the government sector and establishing thriving middle-class neighborhoods but y'll underachievers when it comes to cultural export. It gotta be more than New Balances, Helly Hanson, Hugo boss, go-go, slouch socks, etc. None of that sh*t leaks. I got fam down there so I know y'll culture. As BBMM mentioned I'm from Boston so go head and make your slick comment, I know the sequence at this point.
There lies the issue. You think the thread is about what's most popular, vs what's most unique. With that train of thought of course you would spew things like that, because DC/DMV has probably the most insular local Black culture of any major city in the nation. You all don't know us the way you think you do, just like Blacks in the DC area have never had interest in following outside culture. Which is why for 20 plus years the city came out with no rappers, and held on to it's own. There's so much I could teach you guys on the topic I could write a book honestly.

Examples of unique culture from DC or the DMV area range all over the place. From sports, to accents, to fashion trends etc. Do you know what a pick up game of 33 is? Have you heard of the "DC Blacks"? Black Broadway? The F street block parties of the 2000's, Hains Point? Hogates? Run and Shoot? If you're East Coast and from my generation you'd know.

Do you know about DDTP, Madness, Shooters, Alldaz, and Solbiato? What about "The Museum"? Ask Steph Curry about that one. DMV culture is too insular man, it's not just what yall hear about on a rap song. The city doesn't idolize rappers, nor gangs. DMX got booed off stage here in his prime. There's a local cache that comes with the mentality of Black DC especially going back in prior decades that doesn't get understood by outsiders.

Go-Go is an entire sub genre of music originated from the local Black culture of an American city. That is identifiable no matter how little you like it, or want to diminish that. Go-Go has reached at least 4 continents and been all over the country now. There are people beating their feet in Poland to Go-Go. Def Jam records, and producers like Spike Lee tried their damnest to tap into the culture, but even they got left out. This sub-culture of DC could never be replicated for television, like you all watch on some of your favorite shows. Which is exactly what makes it so unique.

What more has Chicago or Philly provide to Black culture than the examples you mentioned? What trends have they set that DC has not? What makes their accents more unique? How are the clothes they wear that unique or identifiable? How are their foods in the "Black" community more special?

Lol definitely not more East Coast than me cause I'm from the heart of it. Right smack dab in the middle. We got a little bit of everything out here culturally. DC literally held the nickname of "Chocolate City" for decades. There's no debate here. DC is to the East Coast, what NOLA is to the rest of the South, it has always stuck out like a sore thumb in Black culture within it's region. Baltimore, Philly, NYC/NJ have ALWAYS been lumped into one by people outside those places. NYC overshadows them. Boston's Black culture is an afterthought.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-24-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 08:30 AM

119 posts, read 37,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Idk anything outside of Hugo Boss which i didnt know was from DC btw. New balances isn't DC that Baltimore (and it's a Boston brand ironically, wearing NB in most black circles is like white people's Subaru shoes). People don't wear NB outside of Maryland actually. Go-Go is just trash but my older brother liked it when he lived in DC (he's in NYC now). Gimme Bmore Club, please.

I really really don't see how Memphis and Detroit have more influence than DC on a national level at all. I know nothing about Memphis and feel or hear nothing from Memphis outside of the rap. And they're moreso just having one of their moments right now. They're not like unchallenged in the top tier in that either IMO. But really there's no way in hell would I move to Memphis or Detroit like I did DC.

DC has lots of influence in the black professional/political world but if you're on Woodrow Ave in Boston that is irrelevant. But the easy counter is Woodrow Ave is wayyy more irrelevant (no offense, you know I have poeple on that Ave!) were from Boston so I think we need to acknowledge sometimes were operating in an extremely Northeastern bubble in some aspects. Its hard for a citys culture to overpower NYC for us.

When i live in Boston the only thing I knew about DC black culture was Nike Boots. When me and my mother first came down to visit my brother and for me to tour colleges and we liked the area but I didnt see anything particularly unique. And we were in the part of DC that demographically felt more like Boston than Chocolate city. This was early 2011.
Haha, Woodrow is just where I rest my head, I'm in the mix bro. And even if I repped it, I would never hop on a Black Boston forum and be like "Woodrow Ave" is a Tier One block.

DC definitely claims NB's as their own. I mean how are we judging influence? I already gave DC credit for their involvement in the political/government sphere. Should Boston be Tier One because all types of black people move here for education although they end up dippin' after?

I never put Memphis Tier One. But Memphis has had multiple moments where nationally, we've all paid attention. Whether it was Hustle N Flow, or when 3-6 mafia had big mainstream hits like "Stay Fly" or "Sippin on Some Syrup". Like I can pick a Memphis accent before a DC one. Detroit, you and I especially know their connection to the Boston area, so I feel it more. Never mind the fact that multiple Boston rappers are bitin' their current sound. No one out here was ever emulating Shy Glitzy, Wale, Fat Trel.

Idk bro, I don't know if you're agreeing with me or the DC cat lol. Your post is confusing.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:33 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Again NYC is tier 1, the first tier was split into two halves.

I'm good with bumping it higher honestly, and agree that it's Black cultural identity is right up there with the likes of NOLA, DC, Atlanta, and possibly ahead of those. Philly would definitely come after those, and I think as robust as Chicago's is, it should stay in the tier 1a group, as it's extremely robust, but maybe not as instantly identifiable as the others. It could actually be argued that Baltimore's local culture is more identifiable.

Take the Haitians with thick dreads and wearing gold teeth out of Miami, and I don't know what's instantly identifiable for them vs other places in the South. Although the 90's bass music sound in Miami was another unique attribute.
Got you on the tiers. I'd say Miami is pretty identifiable too. Tier 2 is appropriate for Miami. Most of the big cities ( i'm defining big cities as the metros with the largest black populations) have identifiable black cultures. Dallas, the NC cities, St Louis, and Boston's black cultures are less known nationwide I think.

I would drop Richmond and Baton Rouge down a tier. I couldn't tell you anything about those places' cultures let alone black cultures.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:36 AM

@BostonBorn

The New Balances trend is 100% a trend started with local DC. It quickly then spread to Baltimore and beyond. I don't know where you got your info from on that. Google this if you're in doubt of it. Outside of NYC the East Coast city with Black culture setting most trends has been DC over the decades.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
There lies the issue. You think the thread is about what's most popular, vs what's most unique. With that train of thought of course you would spew things like that, because DC/DMV has probably the most insular local Black culture of any major city in the nation. You all don't know us the way you think you do, just like Blacks in the DC area have never had interest in following outside culture. Which is why for 20 plus years the city came out with no rappers, and held on to it's own. There's so much I could teach you guys on the topic I could write a book honestly.

Examples of unique culture from DC or the DMV area range all over the place. From sports, to accents, to fashion trends etc. Do you know what a pick up game of 33 is? Have you heard of the "DC Blacks"? Black Broadway? The F street block parties of the 2000's, Hains Point? Hogates? Run and Shoot? If you're East Coast and from my generation you'd know.

Do you know about DDTP, Madness, Shooters, Alldaz, and Solbiato? What about "The Museum"? Ask Steph Curry about that one. DMV culture is too insular man, it's not just what yall hear about on a rap song. The city doesn't idolize rappers, nor gangs. DMX got booed off stage here in his prime. There's a local cache that comes with the mentality of Black DC especially going back in prior decades that doesn't get understood by outsiders.

Go-Go is an entire sub genre of music originated from the local Black culture of an American city. That is identifiable no matter how little you like it, or want to diminish that. Go-Go has reached at least 4 continents and been all over the country now. There are people beating their feet in Poland to Go-Go. Def Jam records, and producers like Spike Lee tried their damnest to tap into the culture, but even they got left out. This sub-culture of DC could never be replicated for television, like you all watch on some of your favorite shows. Which is exactly what makes it so unique.

What more has Chicago or Philly provide to Black culture than the examples you mentioned? What trends have they set that DC has not? What makes their accents more unique? How are the clothes they wear that unique or identifiable? How are their foods in the "Black" community more special?

Lol definitely not more East Coast than me cause I'm from the heart of it. Right smack dab in the middle. We got a little bit of everything out here culturally. DC literally held the nickname of "Chocolate City" for decades. There's no debate here. DC is to the East Coast, what NOLA is to the rest of the South, it has always stuck out like a sore thumb in Black culture within it's region. Baltimore, Philly, NYC/NJ have ALWAYS been lumped into one by people outside those places. NYC overshadows them. Boston's Black culture is an afterthought.
You're making some valid points but in the same breath you're kind of proving his point about reach.... I also don't think DC has the most insular black culture of any city in the nation. Again that's Boston- and not even by choice. Yall decide that for us mostly as we are in pariah status within the black community...But we also are just an insular parochial city. If it were that insular in DC then how would it be Tier 1? Additionally most of yall arent even from DC...

DC is not more east coast than Boston. Maybe Philly or NYC but not Boston. not even close. Yall have way too much southern influence and if you consider the South the East Coast...then you're not really East Coast. Can't get more northeastern/East Coast than Boston, doesn't really matter if its an afterthought or not...If Boston not more East Coast than DC then what is it?? Youre at the other tail end picking up hella southern influences via your location and people that move there. All we have is ourselves and NYC.

Lastly DMX and 5 other people got beat up/stabbed and booed in Boston and he didn't come back for 12/13 years. So I guess that's a badge of honor? You're arguing for identifiability which I think is valid. I don't know why uniqueness/robustness isn't valued by UE. That's definitely all Boston would have to hang its hat on. Lotta blach kistory and the fact that were mad different *shrug*

Old 03-24-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
@BostonBorn

The New Balances trend is 100% a trend started with local DC. It quickly then spread to Baltimore and beyond. I don't know where you got your info from on that. Google this if you're in doubt of it. Outside of NYC the East Coast city with Black culture setting most trends has been DC over the decades.
I don't see it nearly as much in DC as I do in Baltimore. I assumed it was generally Maryland and had some DC influence but really was solidified and took off in Baltimore where it was the standard shoe. They got like a billboard of this and its half the shoes they sell at the footlocker but yo?-its ugly as hell and yall need to never wear those again. Trash shoe idc idc idc. It's always gonna be the equivalent of a foot Subaru Outback/Forester to me. No amount of drug dealing can make that shoe cool.

DC has a more eclectic and variable style of dress than Bmore- that's for sure. Consider it a compliment I dont put the New Balance 990 on yall.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Haha, Woodrow is just where I rest my head, I'm in the mix bro. And even if I repped it, I would never hop on a Black Boston forum and be like "Woodrow Ave" is a Tier One block.

DC definitely claims NB's as their own. I mean how are we judging influence? I already gave DC credit for their involvement in the political/government sphere. Should Boston be Tier One because all types of black people move here for education although they end up dippin' after?

I never put Memphis Tier One. But Memphis has had multiple moments where nationally, we've all paid attention. Whether it was Hustle N Flow, or when 3-6 mafia had big mainstream hits like "Stay Fly" or "Sippin on Some Syrup". Like I can pick a Memphis accent before a DC one. Detroit, you and I especially know their connection to the Boston area, so I feel it more. Never mind the fact that multiple Boston rappers are bitin' their current sound. No one out here was ever emulating Shy Glitzy, Wale, Fat Trel.

Idk bro, I don't know if you're agreeing with me or the DC cat lol. Your post is confusing.
My post isn't disagreeing or agreeing just stating my observation. I think yall both have valid points. I got opinions.

Detroit and the other northern cities like NYC Chicago Philly do have more relevance to Boston than DC that's not even a question-but those places in the national sense arent the majority is all. DC is more connected I think to Black people the nation over than Detroit because it's thriving and in the South. Anything relevant to Boston probably isn't so relevant to people not in northern/legacy cities. Aka the majority.

Lol at Woodrow Ave... yea, not a Tier One block but still a known Block. Even Wood Ave probably had more notoriety at one point than Woodrow Ave...but yea Woodrow is no Humboldt/Geneva/Dudley/Harvard/Warren/Blue Hill or even Quincy Street. I just wasn't tryna disrespect your joint lol. And yea no I was the only one it felt like really bumping Gleesh, and Trel but Shy Glizzy had a few fans in Boston but 100% we don't emulate their sound probably because they have a southern accent we cant replicate. (Albeit Ive heard people like Fass Coupe rapping liek theyre from Atlanta smh).

Old 03-24-2022, 08:50 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Didn't most of the BGLOs start at Howard? I'm not in that world so I have no idea. If so, that should count for DC influence. And in general, Howard University has had a huge impact on Black America.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You're making some valid points but in the same breath you're kind of proving his point about reach.... I also don't think DC has the most insular black culture of any city in the nation. Again that's Boston- and not even by choice. Yall decide that for us mostly as we are in pariah status within the black community...But we also are just an insular parochial city. If it were that insular in DC then how would it be Tier 1? Additionally most of yall arent even from DC...

DC is not more east coast than Boston. Maybe Philly or NYC but not Boston. not even close. Yall have way too much southern influence and if you consider the South the East Coast...then you're not really East Coast. Can't get more northeastern/East Coast than Boston, doesn't really matter if its an afterthought or not...If Boston not more East Coast than DC then what is it?? Youre at the other tail end picking up hella southern influences via your location and people that move there. All we have is ourselves and NYC.

Lastly DMX and 5 other people got beat up/stabbed and booed in Boston and he didn't come back for 12/13 years. So I guess that's a badge of honor? You're arguing for identifiability which I think is valid. I don't know why uniqueness/robustness isn't valued by UE. That's definitely all Boston would have to hang its hat on. Lotta blach kistory and the fact that were mad different *shrug*
I'm making the point that the center of the East Coast bordering North/South makes it more "East Coast". Not more "Northeastern". Obviously Boston is more Northeastern. There are factors of living close to both halves of the coast that make DC unique in that respect.

Example, even though it's an attribute of much of the South, there's HBCU culture through the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic HBCU's are probably 70% plus people from VA on up the East Coast to Boston. This brings a certain dynamic to the mentality and culture of the people either attending those schools or people who live locally near them. The Boston region doesn't have that aspect of HBCU culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City