Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 11:48 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Not really. NYC can be walled off, and Miami can't. Water percolates from below. Miami's only long-term solution might be putting houses on stilts and rebuilding most of the rest.
Not to mention most of NYC is pretty far above sea level.

In many cases a meter of sea level rise would flood like 2-3 blocks.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:54 AM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
I always wonder will there ever be a city in the states that will take over NYC not only in city population but metro
NYC itself (city proper) experienced meaningful population growth during the 2020 Census - basically grew over 600K people with an already dense footprint.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:03 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Neither city is going to flood. The people on this board are alarmist at the least.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
NYC after 7 feet of sea level rise: https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/s...h/midAccretion

Miami after 7 feet of sea level rise:
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/s...h/midAccretion

Granted, 7 feet is a heck of a lot of sea level rise, but you can play with the level in this map viewer.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:22 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
CSA's top 25...
These estimates show that the DC-Baltimore CSA has moved into third place, going from 14K below Chicago in the 2020 Census (and 65K below in the 2020 ACS estimate) to 70K above in the 2021 estimate. Both lost population relative to the 2020 Census, but Chicago lost more. Of course, the DC-Baltimore CSA is also 19% larger in area, and of course I'll acknowledge the perpetual debate on here over whether CSAs are meaningful entities.

(As someone who grew up between Raleigh and Durham, I'm firmly on the pro-CSA side.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
4) Asian immigration seems to be overwhelmingly driven by just two countries: China and India.
I mean, both countries have ~1.4 billion residents back home, 5X+ as many as the next most populous non-US country (Indonesia) and indeed, 4X as many as the USA. So of course they would send many more emigrants than elsewhere.

Both are also now middle-income countries, with large populations of people who are wealthy enough to consider emigrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
I always wonder will there ever be a city in the states that will take over NYC not only in city population but metro
Usually, such rearrangement happens less because the bigger city is shrinking than because the smaller city grows much faster. (See above with Chicago vs. DC, or historically NYC vs. Philadelphia or LA.) With dampened population growth nationally, I don't see a lot of large-scale league-table rearranging in the early 21st century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Additionally the Bay Area and DFW both have tons of economic activity and amenities between the two cities, whereas there isn't much of note between DC and Baltimore. (I guess there is College Park? But that's on the DC metro system).
On the "Baltimore" side in Anne Arundel and Howard counties, there's BWI, Fort Meade (the second-largest Army post by employment), and Columbia (a planned town with ~60K jobs). Maryland has always been relatively careful about land preservation, and the federal government plunked some giant reservations down in Central Maryland long ago. So the Patuxent River corridor hasn't been paved over, but economic linkages extend past the US-1 corridor in Laurel. (Indeed, the sprawl also touches along US 301 to the southeast of the Patuxent wildlife refuge.) Keep in mind that the two central cities' corners are 27 miles apart, much greater than the 11 miles between D & F-W.

SF & SJ fused relatively seamlessly because their respective favored quarters pretty much pointed towards one another, and the result was Silicon Valley. That hasn't been the case for other such "twin cities."

Last edited by paytonc; 04-20-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2022, 01:16 PM

128 posts, read 57,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
NYC after 7 feet of sea level rise: https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/s...h/midAccretion

Granted, 7 feet is a heck of a lot of sea level rise, but you can play with the level in this map viewer.
Fair 7 feet is a lot. New Jersey looks pretty bad in that picture, and it looks like Miami's water problems are coming in from inland, Everglades and swamps. I know I've seen these I kind of maps about my hometown of Boston and it's not pretty for Boston as much of the city is built on fill.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
New Jersey looks pretty bad in that picture,
It's mostly the Meadowlands (largely swamp already) and Newark Airport (built on fill) showing up on that map.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:10 PM

121 posts, read 96,789 times
Are the new city populations available?

Old 05-09-2022, 08:07 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

RIP the rockaways

Old 05-09-2022, 08:20 PM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Philadelphia's the next one Atlanta's about to pass soon. That one's 6.2 million, with a slower growth rate than Atlanta.
Philly is done being a Top 10 MSA and CSA and a lot of that has a lot to do with the economic, financial, and the logistical atmosphere of that city in comparison to other American cities. It's done as a Top 10 MSA and CSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The sun belt is where most of the growth is. Dallas and Houston are projected to hit 10 million each in the 2030's, and will both pass Chicago's population. Atlanta will be up there close to the top 5. Will all depend on how growth rates still look in the 2030's.
I don't think Atlanta will be in the Top 5 and if so, then that means that Altanta will be up there with NYC, LA, Wash-Balt, Bay Area, and Chicago, and that's a very tough plateau to crack, but Top 10, most definitely, especially with it's local economy booming and a lot of people moving to Metro Atlanta.

Also, I don't see Dallas and Houston hitting 10 million, as that figure is laughable by the 2030s. I can foresee Miami growing at a faster rate, especially if it's able to establish itself as the crypto capital of America as well as a financial and economic center in the same vein as NYC and Chicago and even a high-tech center. It all depends on those factors. Dallas is mainly real estate and high tech while Houston is mainly related to energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It was inevitable that Atlanta would surpass Miami since it's not limited by geography in the way that Miami is. There's still plenty of room for the Atlanta metro to run in all directions.
It's remarkable but it's just not sustainable as Atlanta doesn't have a commuter rail system that can connect to those far flung communities that are about over an hour away from Atlanta. if Atlanta and the state of GA can't come to terms towards building a commuter rail system that radiates out of Atlanta and I'm not just talking about MARTA, then it's practically useless to move from any American city to and locale 30 minutes to an hour and sit in traffic for over an hour just to be close to Atlanta.

With that mindset, I'd rather live in NYC, Chicago, or DC where's there's ample choices in transportation than Atlanta, where there's only MARTA and outside of Atlanta, there's no commuter rail system and you're only reliant by the automobile. Atlanta is going to have problems in the future if it can't invest in a commuter rail system, which Miami already has plus a high rail system. Besides, because Atlanta doesn't have as much int'l ties the way Miami has, eventually Miami is going to grow at a more rapid rate than Atlanta. It is what it is.

Last edited by wanderer34; 05-09-2022 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City