Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Visually largest city?
Houston 89 58.55%
Miami 63 41.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:54 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,194,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I was in Boca Raton last week, and it felt extremely suburban -- a mix mash of a bunch of cul-de-sac neighborhoods, and felt like a completely different region, as opposed to being part of the Miami metro.

For me, the "big city" feel of Miami stretches from Miami to Fort Lauderdale.
I agree. Miami to Ft. Lauderdale. After that, things fall off a bit. But that’s for South Florida. Other places, won’t have suburbs as dense as Boca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 05:16 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,684,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
If I am in Brickell getting on the rail to Miami Beach, in that environment I am going to think that Miami feels bigger, because there is no urban experience like that in Houston.
Huh???
There is no rail from Brickell to Miami Beach.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:44 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,655,255 times
I can get with Miami to just Ft Lauderdale. I was trying to give Pompano Beach and Boca Raton some benefit of the doubt because there high-rises and mid-rises there if you stick to A1A.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:50 AM

10,033 posts, read 6,733,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can get with Miami to just Ft Lauderdale. I was trying to give Pompano Beach and Boca Raton some benefit of the doubt because there high-rises and mid-rises there if you stick to A1A.
We’re comparing Miami to Houston. Not Miami to NYC. Miami to Fort Lauderdale is a longer somewhat (not entirely) urban stretch, that’s longer than Downtoown to Uptown HOU (and also more dense). The Homestead to West Palm thing was that it’s more dense and urban as a whole than whatever stretch you use for Houston in a straight line.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:10 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,659,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I was in Boca Raton last week, and it felt extremely suburban -- a mix mash of a bunch of cul-de-sac neighborhoods, and felt like a completely different region, as opposed to being part of the Miami metro.

For me, the "big city" feel of Miami stretches from Miami to Fort Lauderdale.
Funny thing though, if you put Minzer Park in Houston’s MSA it would stand out more than any other suburb and frankly anything outside the loop. Outside of that Boca Raton isn’t that much different than what you will find in all directions of Houston.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:02 PM

20,532 posts, read 33,655,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
We’re comparing Miami to Houston. Not Miami to NYC. Miami to Fort Lauderdale is a longer somewhat (not entirely) urban stretch, that’s longer than Downtoown to Uptown HOU (and also more dense). The Homestead to West Palm thing was that it’s more dense and urban as a whole than whatever stretch you use for Houston in a straight line.
I was responding to your highrise point. Not your density point. I know what you were comparing. Also Miami to Ft Lauderdale is 27 miles apart. Uptown to Downtown is what 5 miles apart. Not an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:05 PM

10,033 posts, read 6,733,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I was responding to your highrise point. Not your density point. I know what you were comparing. Also Miami to Ft Lauderdale is 27 miles apart. Uptown to Downtown is what 5 miles apart. Not an apples to oranges comparison.
I said “that’s longer than Downtown to Uptown” so obviously I’m clear on this. Yes you’re right that the high rises aren’t fully continuous going from Miami to NYC. There’s definitely gaps. But in a Houston-Katy or Houston-Sugar Land which are the 2 most continuously urban edges going from downtown, there’s also gaps. I believe the fact that SoFlo is build for such a long stretch gives it a massive allusion on top of having the most urban core in the South

Old 05-01-2024, 06:42 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,339,647 times
Of course South Florida will be more dense due to geography. Houston is just a beast in all directions not just to the North like the case in Miami moving North.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:54 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,194,968 times
Houston is big, but a “beast”. What’s LA then? Gargantuan? People need to travel more if they can swing it.

I really liked visiting Houston, but I never felt like it was as vast and gigantic as people are saying. Maybe because I’ve been to most of the biggest metros in the U.S., not to mention living in or near the top 5.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:06 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,659,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Houston is big, but a “beast”. What’s LA then? Gargantuan? People need to travel more if they can swing it.

I really liked visiting Houston, but I never felt like it was as vast and gigantic as people are saying. Maybe because I’ve been to most of the biggest metros in the U.S., not to mention living in or near the top 5.
Yeah I didn't wanna say anything since I'm considered the "bad guy" anytime I say something not in Houston's favor but I wouldn't consider Houston a "beast" in anything but land mass and highways. But in every direction it's overwhelmingly strip malls, master planned communities, commercial corridors and a vibrancy full of vehicles. But I think what kills it for me is the lack of densely populated areas with pedestrians, Miami MSA just has more of that even with it being car-centric it still has more of that. Even someone bringing up the Bay Area i'm thinking Houston MSA is not in the same league with them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City