Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Visually largest city?
Houston 89 58.55%
Miami 63 41.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:34 AM

395 posts, read 156,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I really liked visiting Houston, but I never felt like it was as vast and gigantic as people are saying. Maybe because I’ve been to most of the biggest metros in the U.S., not to mention living in or near the top 5.
You don't think Houston is vast? It seems to go on forever in all directions. We are not talking density here, we are talking vast, as in the literal meaning of vast. From US continuous Urban Areas, only New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Atlanta is more vast according to the OMB. Miami's physical constraints makes it the least vast urban area among the top 10 most populous UAs.

LA's UA is intense, but it isn't that vast. That's why it's the most dense. The mountains curtail some of ours vastness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Always liked the view of Houston on I-10 over Heights Blvd and Yale going west. You get a good panoramic view point of the Western Inner loop and Galleria seeing the highrises and midrises popping up around you on both sides knowing Downtown is just behind you. Shows you the expanse of this area and the potential as well.
I like the view from that area too. You get nice views of the low-rise density as soon as you leave downtown on 10 West.
There's lots of talk about hirises but structural density connecting the hirises gets no love. Miami builds densely because it has to. Houston has all this space but the sfh with large yards are a dying breed in the loop. Especially going West.

I think it's what makes Houston remain more affordable than it's counterparts in the South. It has more space than Miami and it's getting rid of homes with spacious yards at a much faster rate than Dallas or Atlanta. I like that because it gives more affordable options. If you don't like condo living you can still find sfh attached or detached, but with smaller or no yards.

Houston can ride it's cheap place to live for decades longer without needing to expand further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 07:38 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,339,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Houston is big, but a “beast”. What’s LA then? Gargantuan? People need to travel more if they can swing it.

I really liked visiting Houston, but I never felt like it was as vast and gigantic as people are saying. Maybe because I’ve been to most of the biggest metros in the U.S., not to mention living in or near the top 5.
I have been to NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.

The city of Houston is the 4th largest in population and among the largest in land area. The metro is the 5th largest in population. I think "Beast" can easily apply to the area, especially since it's not necessarily high density and sprawls forever in every direction.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 AM

4,465 posts, read 5,194,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have been to NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.

The city of Houston is the 4th largest in population and among the largest in land area. The metro is the 5th largest in population. I think "Beast" can easily apply to the area, especially since it's not necessarily high density and sprawls forever in every direction.
25 miles is hardly forever. That’s 30 minutes in light traffic.

Not to diminish Houston’s largeness. It’s big for sure. If you have a lot of time to drive down all the arterials, it’s huge, sure. If you live in Houston and like or need to drive everywhere all the time, the grandness of Houston would be greatly apparent. I had a job way back, where I had to drive all around South Florida(poor car) back in the 90’s and it seemed absolutely gigantic. It’s bigger now. Though I know better to use that perspective when comparing it to another metro in 2024.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:55 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,339,647 times
At any rate. Miami (South Florida) doesn’t feel larger than the Houston area.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:37 PM

4,465 posts, read 5,194,968 times
Looking forward to visiting both metros again soon.

Maybe then, Houston will feel larger.

Old Today, 09:09 AM

3,265 posts, read 9,070,987 times
Houston all the way, You got to experience Houston to really see how massive it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City