Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 09:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Downtown Phoniex sits underneath the flight path of its airport, hence it's DT has hieght restrictions similar to Boston & San Diego
FAA restrictions typically start around 200 plus or even 300 plus ft in most major airports I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 09:26 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
12 floors? I mean, okay but a bunch of stubby 12-floor buildings isnt very impressive imho.

An actual "skyscraper" is 492', or 150 meters tall.
https://www.theb1m.com/video/what-is-a-skyscraper
Those "stubby" buildings are what gives cities and more specifically their downtown cores their bulk and breadth, not the actual skyscrapers.

Regarding the term "skyscraper," it holds zero meaning in actual real world construction.

American Fire-code defines a high-rise as any building over 7 floors or 75'. Once you get taller than that the only official "tiers" of height are when FAA starts getting involved for lighting.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:41 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Those "stubby" buildings are what gives cities and more specifically their downtown cores their bulk and breadth, not the actual skyscrapers.

Regarding the term "skyscraper," it holds zero meaning in actual real world construction.

American Fire-code defines a high-rise as any building over 7 floors or 75'. Once you get taller than that the only official "tiers" of height are when FAA starts getting involved for lighting.
Yeah, well we have entire forums dedicated to the idea of 'skyscrapers', and none that I can think of that are dedicated to stubby 12-story buildings, so plenty of people talk about them, not sure why you are acting brand new about it.

Would anyone read Emporis if their focus was 'highrises' that end at 12-stories?

No, in the 'real world' as you put it, people like to look at the tallest buildings, those are what make SKYLINES, ever heard of that in your real world? I have.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Heads up that the Emporis numbers also include planned, under construction, unbuilt, and demolished buildings in the total numbers shown. Going to the site, and clicking on the list, identifies the status of each individual building.

Of the few cities I looked at, removing all except those existing or under construction reduces Cleveland by 56, Columbus by 23, Phoenix by 58, New Orleans by 37, Detroit by 88, etc.
So this list even includes unbuilt 'highrises'?

Old 04-08-2022, 09:49 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Living in one of the smallest places on the list and the highest ranked one that isn't the hub city in its Metro, it doesn't surprise me. This is high rise condo/apt building central. Interestingly even though it's a very small area, much of the area does not have high rises. Not being very fond of them, I specifically moved away from them.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:57 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Yeah, well we have entire forums dedicated to the idea of 'skyscrapers', and none that I can think of that are dedicated to stubby 12-story buildings, so plenty of people talk about them, not sure why you are acting brand new about it.

Would anyone read Emporis if their focus was 'highrises' that end at 12-stories?

No, in the 'real world' as you put it, people like to look at the tallest buildings, those are what make SKYLINES, ever heard of that in your real world? I have.

You seem to be against people talking about buildings of this height. It's perfectly suitable for this forum.

As for trying to define skyscrapers, there's no definition outside fan sites. It's a subjective notion.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:57 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
FAA restrictions typically start around 200 plus or even 300 plus ft in most major airports I know of.
I'm not familiar with FAA requirements, but I do recall that the FAA submitted a letter objecting to Sofi Stadium in Inglewood and then they had to put the stadium a little deeper into the ground. And that's nowhere near that tall.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:59 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Airport flight paths are in three dimensions. They slope.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You seem to be against people talking about buildings of this height. It's perfectly suitable for this forum.

As for trying to define skyscrapers, there's no definition outside fan sites. It's a subjective notion.
No, I think my issue is the term 'highrise' as defined by Emporis. It's completely misleading imo.

My hometown, Oakland, most definitely DOES NOT have 102 highrises imo, more like 10 or so if we're being honest.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:14 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:

Your point?

Forums =/= Real life.

For 99.9995% of the normal non forum-geek population (i.e. us), any +10 story building is going to be viewed as "high-rise" with anything above that being free range for forum/internet lables

Quote:
Yeah I have, and your definition of a subjective term (said term being what is a high-rise?) is no more valid then mine, or a person in Hong Kong or London, UK.

A 140' tall building in DC is no less of a "high-rise" than a 305' tall building in Chicago in the vast majority of peoples eyes. It's as silly as me saying the Chyrsler building is "short" becuase it's ~700' shorter than 1 WTC and ~1600' shorter than Burj Khalia.

Last edited by Joakim3; 04-08-2022 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City