Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:25 PM

570 posts, read 560,186 times

Advertisements

It's mind boggling that Austin now in the top 20 largest cities by sheer number of high rises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 11:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, I think my issue is the term 'highrise' as defined by Emporis. It's completely misleading imo.

My hometown, Oakland, most definitely DOES NOT have 102 highrises imo, more like 10 or so if we're being honest.
There's nothing misleading. That's an international standard not Emporis'. In fact a building can be considered high rise at only 10 stories if the height is 100m. But 12 stories makes it automatically a high rise. I also wouldn't call a 12 story building "stumpy" at all. 6-8 stories sure, but 12 or more is moving out of the mid-rise and stumpy range.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk...-rise_building

Britannica's definition:

"high-rise building, also called high-rise, multistory building tall enough to require the use of a system of mechanical vertical transportation such as elevators. The skyscraper is a very tall high-rise building.

https://www.britannica.com/technolog...-rise-building

The first high-rise buildings were constructed in the United States in the 1880s."

It goes beyond what Emporis' definition.

And Oakland has certainly got more than "10" high rises:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8035...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-08-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Airport flight paths are in three dimensions. They slope.
I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:03 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There's nothing misleading. That's an international standard not Emporis'. In fact a building can be considered high rise at only 10 stories if the height is 100m. But 12 stories makes it automatically a high rise. I also wouldn't call a 12 story building "stumpy" at all. 6-8 stories sure, but 12 or more is moving out of the mid-rise and stumpy range.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk...-rise_building

Britannica's definition:

"high-rise building, also called high-rise, multistory building tall enough to require the use of a system of mechanical vertical transportation such as elevators. The skyscraper is a very tall high-rise building.

https://www.britannica.com/technolog...-rise-building

The first high-rise buildings were constructed in the United States in the 1880s."

It goes beyond what Emporis' definition.

And Oakland has certainly got more than "10" high rises:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8035...7i13312!8i6656
I am more or less aware of this stuff, but I think calling a 12-story building a 'high rise" is misleading in 2022, that's my opinion.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I'm not familiar with FAA requirements, but I do recall that the FAA submitted a letter objecting to Sofi Stadium in Inglewood and then they had to put the stadium a little deeper into the ground. And that's nowhere near that tall.
I do remember hearing that, but I think exact proximity matters. FAA regulations around Reagan National Airport (DCA) allow 350-390ft buildings adjacent to the landing path as the planes fly over the Potomac River, but they specify in that location you can't build above that.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:04 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
I'm having a hard time visualizing this.
Think of it as an imaginary pyrimad laying on its side that's "base" uniformaly expands the further away you get from the airport/runway

Old 04-09-2022, 04:45 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am more or less aware of this stuff, but I think calling a 12-story building a 'high rise" is misleading in 2022, that's my opinion.
I don't even understand this objection.

I think most people looking at an apartment building 15 stories tall, for instance, would call that apartment building a "high rise."

Like, for instance, this apartment building in Germantown where I worked as a security guard for a while in order to keep the wolf from the door. (One of the maintenance people there still invites me to the Christmas party the building management throws for residents.)

15 floors, 190 feet tall, and it almost dominates the view in the area around it. "Almost" because this older tower (three 9-story towers with a common lobby, each 114.4 feet tall) sits on a rise across Wissahickon Avenue from it and terminates the view down Chelten Avenue, which ends at that building.

And because this building (13 stories, 165 feet tall) sits across Chelten Avenue from the first one.

You can, if you have an eagle eye, spot this cluster of buildings if you look to the northwest from any tall building in Center City, for they rise above the trees that surround them while no other buildings up that way do.

And since "high rise apartment building" probably describes at least half the buildings on this list, then I would disagree that calling a 12-story, 100-foot-tall building a "high rise" in 2022 makes no sense.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:47 AM

663 posts, read 306,164 times
Why are we debating a high-rise is a 9, 10 or 12 story building?

There is a reason we have the term TODAY OF A MID-RISE.

I live in a small city. A 10-story senior gov building is called The High-Rise built 1960s.. A city of 500,000 or well over a million is not going to use that term for such a building if a term mid-rise is common now.

Walk-up -- are a building without an elevator.

Low-rise buildings – typically four or fewer floors.

Mid-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have between 5 to 12 floors.

High-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have 13 floors or above.

Skyscrapers -- are buildings with over 40 floors and are considered part of the high-rise category.
150 m (492 ft).

Supertall building -- is an occupied "supertall" structure higher than 300 m (984 ft).

Megatall building -- (taller than 600 m (1,969 ft).

The term skyscraper -- originally applied to buildings of 10 to 20 stories, but by the late 20th century the term was used to describe buildings generally greater than 40 or 50 stories.

This is pretty universal worldwide and by Engineers.... TODAY w can use feet or meters also. By meters proves it is universal in defining UNIVERSALLY AND THE ACCEPTED HEIGHT OF A SKYSCRAPER AS ..... 150 meters (490 ft).

Should we use old firemen stats of a 7-story building is a high-rise. They can but new words and meanings come for defining that become universal.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:27 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Why are we debating a high-rise is a 9, 10 or 12 story building?

There is a reason we have the term TODAY OF A MID-RISE.

I live in a small city. A 10-story senior gov building is called The High-Rise built 1960s.. A city of 500,000 or well over a million is not going to use that term for such a building if a term mid-rise is common now.

Walk-up -- are a building without an elevator.

Low-rise buildings – typically four or fewer floors.

Mid-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have between 5 to 12 floors.

High-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have 13 floors or above.

Skyscrapers -- are buildings with over 40 floors and are considered part of the high-rise category.
150 m (492 ft).

Supertall building -- is an occupied "supertall" structure higher than 300 m (984 ft).

Megatall building -- (taller than 600 m (1,969 ft).

The term skyscraper -- originally applied to buildings of 10 to 20 stories, but by the late 20th century the term was used to describe buildings generally greater than 40 or 50 stories.

This is pretty universal worldwide and by Engineers.... TODAY w can use feet or meters also. By meters proves it is universal in defining UNIVERSALLY AND THE ACCEPTED HEIGHT OF A SKYSCRAPER AS ..... 150 meters (490 ft).

Should we use old firemen stats of a 7-story building is a high-rise. They can but new words and meanings come for defining that become universal.
High-rises and skyscrapers are like rectangles and squares: the latter are subsets of the former.

Nobody here was debating whether or not a building is a skyscraper; we were debating whether a building is a high-rise or not.

Go back to the OP and you will see that the OP used Emporis' definition: 35 to 100 meters (114.8 to 328.1 feet) high, or 12 stories, regardless of height. As for the "stubby 12-story building," a building with 12 9-foot-high floors would be 108 feet (32.9 m) tall, and about the only buildings I can think of that would have 9-foot-high floors are apartment buildings. Since as calculated here, that would include the thickness of each floor slab, and that would make the interior height less than 9 feet. A space with an interior height of 9 feet and a floor slab of one foot would add up to 10 feet per floor, taking you to 120 feet (36.6 m), above Emporis' threshold — and that's probably why Emporis includes any 12-story-high building in its list of high rises if the actual height of the 12-story building is not known.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 04-09-2022 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-09-2022, 09:21 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Are there any other cities in the Miami metro above 100 is the question?
Might not be above 100, but can you check to see what Cambridge has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City