Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 09:41 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
It's mind boggling that Austin now in the top 20 largest cities by sheer number of high rises.
This list doesn't seem accurate. San Antonio has more mid to highrise buildings citywide than Austin, Charlotte and Nashville. It does however have less 300 ft plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 10:00 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Default St. Louis

If a person looks at St. Louis from the riverfront heading west, they wouldn't think the skyline is all of that. The moment one drives I64 from the river to the park, the city becomes bigger.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:51 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am more or less aware of this stuff, but I think calling a 12-story building a 'high rise" is misleading in 2022, that's my opinion.
As someone else pointed out, a highrise in the A/E/C/RE world is where the top occupied floor starts at 75' or higher. (I don't remember the exact wording.)

Since that means at least an 85' building, a highrise is also where standard woodframe is no longer allowed in most cities.

You're allowed to have feelings. It's all subjective in the fan board setting. But 100' or 120' is generously above the only real technical cutoff.

It's also why we differentiate between highrises and skyscrapers.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:56 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Why are we debating a high-rise is a 9, 10 or 12 story building?

There is a reason we have the term TODAY OF A MID-RISE.

I live in a small city. A 10-story senior gov building is called The High-Rise built 1960s.. A city of 500,000 or well over a million is not going to use that term for such a building if a term mid-rise is common now.

Walk-up -- are a building without an elevator.

Low-rise buildings – typically four or fewer floors.

Mid-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have between 5 to 12 floors.

High-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have 13 floors or above.

Skyscrapers -- are buildings with over 40 floors and are considered part of the high-rise category.
150 m (492 ft).

Supertall building -- is an occupied "supertall" structure higher than 300 m (984 ft).

Megatall building -- (taller than 600 m (1,969 ft).

The term skyscraper -- originally applied to buildings of 10 to 20 stories, but by the late 20th century the term was used to describe buildings generally greater than 40 or 50 stories.

This is pretty universal worldwide and by Engineers.... TODAY w can use feet or meters also. By meters proves it is universal in defining UNIVERSALLY AND THE ACCEPTED HEIGHT OF A SKYSCRAPER AS ..... 150 meters (490 ft).

Should we use old firemen stats of a 7-story building is a high-rise. They can but new words and meanings come for defining that become universal.
Midrise has no A/E/C/RE industry standard. It's a marketing and planning term, but not a technical one. Your grouping is pretty odd. Most of the big stuff changes at 75/85'.

"Skyscraper" is subjective, and not a technical term. Sorry.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:19 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Why are we debating a high-rise is a 9, 10 or 12 story building?

There is a reason we have the term TODAY OF A MID-RISE.

I live in a small city. A 10-story senior gov building is called The High-Rise built 1960s.. A city of 500,000 or well over a million is not going to use that term for such a building if a term mid-rise is common now.

Walk-up -- are a building without an elevator.

Low-rise buildings – typically four or fewer floors.

Mid-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have between 5 to 12 floors.

High-rise buildings -- are defined as buildings that have 13 floors or above.

Skyscrapers -- are buildings with over 40 floors and are considered part of the high-rise category.
150 m (492 ft).

Supertall building -- is an occupied "supertall" structure higher than 300 m (984 ft).

Megatall building -- (taller than 600 m (1,969 ft).

The term skyscraper -- originally applied to buildings of 10 to 20 stories, but by the late 20th century the term was used to describe buildings generally greater than 40 or 50 stories.

This is pretty universal worldwide and by Engineers.... TODAY w can use feet or meters also. By meters proves it is universal in defining UNIVERSALLY AND THE ACCEPTED HEIGHT OF A SKYSCRAPER AS ..... 150 meters (490 ft).

Should we use old firemen stats of a 7-story building is a high-rise. They can but new words and meanings come for defining that become universal.
You can’t go by floors. Highrise buildings in DC are either 130 feet or up to 160 feet in a few places. All of the 130 foot high-rise residential buildings have between 13-15 stories. That can be seen in NOMA, Union Market, Navy Yard, The Wharf, Buzzard Point, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Northwest One, etc. etc. etc. The height between floors for office buildings is different than residential so they usually only have 12 stories.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I am more or less aware of this stuff, but I think calling a 12-story building a 'high rise" is misleading in 2022, that's my opinion.
So what would you call these? If they aren't high-rise, what are they?

The Stacks DC Rendering 1

The Stacks DC Rendering 2

The Stacks DC Rendering 3

Old 04-09-2022, 11:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Those are lovely, love the design, they remind me of the building I work in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorg...e_Building.jpg

But I don't really consider them high rises. That's just me, you don't have to agree.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Those are lovely, love the design, they remind me of the building I work in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorg...e_Building.jpg

But I don't really consider them high rises. That's just me, you don't have to agree.
That’s fair and obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will say that being in between these buildings will feel extremely tight because of the street width. Looking at the people in the rendering, I doubt they will feel like these buildings are short really because of the tight urban canyon.

Old 04-09-2022, 01:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

I would call them sexy buildings.

Old 04-09-2022, 04:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
This list doesn't seem accurate. San Antonio has more mid to highrise buildings citywide than Austin, Charlotte and Nashville. It does however have less 300 ft plus.
By what standard are you referring to mid to high rises? That's probably the discrepancy. Buildings 12 floors and higher Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville have more total in their city proper than SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City