Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best 2m metro?
Denver 11 10.19%
Baltimore 1 0.93%
St. Louis 5 4.63%
Charlotte 15 13.89%
Orlando 0 0%
San Antonio 2 1.85%
Portland 5 4.63%
Sacramento 2 1.85%
Pittsburgh 8 7.41%
Austin 7 6.48%
Las Vegas 3 2.78%
Cincinatti 2 1.85%
Kansas City 3 2.78%
Columbus 2 1.85%
Indianapolis 1 0.93%
Cleveland 2 1.85%
Nashville 12 11.11%
Vancouver 27 25.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 08:23 AM

702 posts, read 442,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
How are their transit systems?
Transit isn't the sole factor in how great a city is. LA doesn't really have a great transit system either, really I wouldn't consider any US cities outside of New York, Chicago, San Francisco, DC and a maybe a couple other Northeastern cities as having good to great transit.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:35 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
NASHVILLE or Austin, are the two most popping cities in America right now,
Well that's a bit of a stretch. Austin, maybe, but Nashville isn't doing anything other sunbelt cities are doing.

Anyway, for the sake of this thread, Vancouver wins in everything except maybe weather.

Quote:
Transit isn't the sole factor in how great a city is. LA doesn't really have a great transit system either, really I wouldn't consider any US cities outside of New York, Chicago, San Francisco, DC and a maybe a couple other Northeastern cities as having good to great transit.
And this is why in threads like this, when you throw in a Canadian city (or a city from pretty much anywhere else in the developed world,) it will win by a landslide. Or, should, anyway. Walkability, Quality of Life, Growth potential, are all GREATLY affected by a good transit system. Cities tend to develop around transit corridors/lines. If all you have are giant expressways everywhere, well, you get the mess that is the typical American sunbelt city -- hideous sprawl.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:47 AM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Well that's a bit of a stretch. Austin, maybe, but Nashville isn't doing anything other sunbelt cities are doing.

Anyway, for the sake of this thread, Vancouver wins in everything except maybe weather.

And this is why in threads like this, when you throw in a Canadian city (or a city from pretty much anywhere else in the developed world,) it will win by a landslide. Or, should, anyway. Walkability, Quality of Life, Growth potential, are all GREATLY affected by a good transit system. Cities tend to develop around transit corridors/lines. If all you have are giant expressways everywhere, well, you get the mess that is the typical American sunbelt city -- hideous sprawl.

That's a city data opinion and not shared by the majority of Americans. It's why cities like Dallas, Orlando, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville and Austin are really popular in real life but with the exception of maybe Nashville and Austin have a really bad perception on city-data. There's like these extreme viewpoints on here, the "transit is everything and sunbelt cities are all horrible waste dumps, some small town in Connecticut has far more to offer than Houston and Dallas" Then some that don't care about transit or walkability at all. And I certainly care about walkability and transit but some of you on here take it to the extreme, you can still be a great city with sprawl. Like I said most American cities suck with transit anyway it's not like we're talking about some European city here where every neighborhood is in proximity to some type of transit.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:02 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
That's a city data opinion and not shared by the majority of Americans. It's why cities like Dallas, Orlando, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville and Austin are really popular in real life but with the exception of maybe Nashville and Austin have a really bad perception on city-data. There's like these extreme viewpoints on here, the "transit is everything and sunbelt cities are all horrible waste dumps, some small town in Connecticut has far more to offer than Houston and Dallas" Then some that don't care about transit or walkability at all. And I certainly care about walkability and transit but some of you on here take it to the extreme, you can still be a great city with sprawl. Like I said most American cities suck with transit anyway it's not like we're talking about some European city here where every neighborhood is in proximity to some type of transit.
I disagree that it's a "city-data" opinion. Sunbelt cities (and LA) are just playing catch up. It's why large-scale transit projects are in development/planning in quite a few of these cities. It's a very important aspect of urban planning, and it turns into a major issue when cities sprawl out the way they have.
You mention Orlando, which is ironic because the city has long struggled due to its growth, and relative lack of appropriate transit. Large-scale transit projects have since been priority (Sunrail, several phases, and now Brightline.) Orlando's horrible perception mainly stems from its tourism corridor, which is what the vast majority here are familiar with. It's quite obvious that most who post here know little to nothing about the actual city. Outside of the sprawl, there actually is a fairly urban corridor that is rapidly developing along its [primitive] transit lines. Most large apartment/condo projects are right along the Sunrail tracks.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:04 AM

444 posts, read 282,297 times
Quote:
You can't be a top city without a good transit system, otherwise you have given your city over to the car and car dependency which just leads to ugly and unsafe city design. Vancouver has an amazing transit system so any of these other 2 million people cities can as well. Texas is a lot richer than British Columbia but none of it's transit systems come anywhere close to Vancouver.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 04-12-2022 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 09:17 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Vancouver is beautiful but there are like NO Black people there. Talk about depressing...
That and the fact that it's the least affordable city in North America. It has a much higher cost of living than Seattle while having a lower GDP than Indianapolis, resulting in low wages.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:32 AM

444 posts, read 282,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
That and the fact that it's the least affordable city in North America. It has a much higher cost of living than Seattle while having a lower GDP than Indianapolis, resulting in low wages.
Yes, the most desirable cities have a higher cost of living because living there has more benefits than just cheap housing alone.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Yes, the most desirable cities have a higher cost of living because living there has a more benefit than just cheap housing alone.
San Francisco and Seattle are extremely desirable, but have the competitive salaries and wages to match. Even Denver and Portland, both in this poll and near the top of most desirability lists, have much higher wages than Vancouver

One of the criteria in this poll is Future Growth Potential. High COL coupled with very low wages is something that can't really be ignored.

Last edited by nadnerb; 04-12-2022 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 10:17 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
That's a city data opinion and not shared by the majority of Americans. It's why cities like Dallas, Orlando, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville and Austin are really popular in real life but with the exception of maybe Nashville and Austin have a really bad perception on city-data.
Yeah, accurate.

In reality, you talk to anyone who has travelled to Austin or Nashville in the past year, their face lights up and they gush about both cities. I have not spoken to one person who dislikes either city, who has visited very recently.

Folks who speak negatively about both cities (or one or the other), I find have not been to either city usually, in the past couple of years. They still have that image of Nashville being a "country music town" or Austin being a "western outpost for live music." LOL

The reality is that Austin and Nashville are growing so fast that if you visit either city this month in 2022, by next April of 2023, the cities will have completely changed in many areas, again.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:01 AM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Surprised 0 votes for Orlando, I quite liked it there... if I had to live in Florida and raise a family that would be my choice.

Among that list I personally think Denver and Vancouver followed by Orlando, Portland, Austin and Charlotte stand above the rest for livability and desirability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City