Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 04:48 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times

Advertisements

If it's a separate metro from Baltimore, it seems to me DC Metro would be one of the smaller large metros in the United States, being that it's a US federal government town/metro. Out of consideration to the taxpayers all across the country who fund many, if not most of those jobs, I don't think DC should really be much bigger than the average American metro, say, Louisville, Indianapolis or Kansas City, about 1.5 to 2 million at the most. What else does DC have going for it besides the US Government and it's high dollar jobs mostly at the US taxpaters expense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 04:49 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
For once, the poll is correct. The answer is SF or DC.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree with all of this. As someone who grew up in Maryland, I don't think people from outside the area realized how independent Baltimore and DC feel. As you mentioned, news stations are completely independent (i.e. you won't hear anything about DC news mentioned on a Baltimore station and vice versa). Also there really is no contiguous feel between the 2 regions. There is no "Bay Area" equivalent where you feel like you are in one common region. It feels like Baltimore and DC. There are obviously some suburban areas where you get some overlap, but those are small sections. For the most part it feels like 2 separate regions that just happen to be relatively close. I use the term "relatively" because there is no real public transportation between the 2 regions that people frequently use to commute. There is the MARC train, but that can be like a 2 hour trip. Driving can easily be a 2 hour trip during rush hour. So while "technically" about 40 miles apart, they "feel" much farther apart (about an hour outside of rush hour and close to 1.5-2 hrs during rush hour). This does not "feel" close.
Come on, let's get real here.

DC is 35 miles from Baltimore. San Jose is 55 miles from San Francisco.

In poor rush hour traffic city border to border isn't more than 50 mins DC to Baltimore. There's nothing but suburbs in between the whole stretch. In the middle of the night it's less than 40 mins from city to city.

I get your point, but let's stop with the foolishness. You can say it's a more urbanized stretch resembling one one metro, but the cities are where they are DC and Baltimore sphere's overlap, there is no gap. You live in Chicago how do you know MARC times? It's 45 mins on the train from city to city during peak times.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:16 PM

45 posts, read 24,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

In poor rush hour traffic city border to border isn't more than 50 mins DC to Baltimore. There's nothing but suburbs in between the whole stretch. In the middle of the night it's less than 40 mins from city to city.

I get your point, but let's stop with the foolishness. You can say it's a more urbanized stretch resembling one one metro, but the cities are where they are DC and Baltimore sphere's overlap, there is no gap. You live in Chicago how do you know MARC times? It's 45 mins on the train from city to city during peak times.

Suburbs have people, they contribute to taxas, GDP.. whatever merit makes up an urban area. You cant just downplay where people live.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:40 PM

If we compare DC & SF bay, is a comparison of east vs west.. put it like this. Eastcoast represents OLD America the opposite of the West, which is the NEW. Politically wise DC follow in the footsteps of the Westcoast. If we put down the bias it's clear this is whats playing out. No disrespect to the eastcoast, they're the originals of the country. There's an arguement to be made about D.C vs Sacramento for political clout..

Last edited by inflation; 04-14-2022 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflation View Post
Suburbs have people, they contribute to taxas, GDP.. whatever merit makes up an urban area. You cant just downplay where people live.
We're making the same point. I'm saying there's nothing but suburban development in between making it more contiguous that others are making it seem.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:59 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:

Honestly speaking, SF/SJ looks to be far more of a cohesive area than Baltimore-Washington. Doesn't matter though, since it's already one metro anyway.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
We're making the same point. I'm saying there's nothing but suburban development in between making it more contiguous that others are making it seem.

I see now... although I'd just want to put it out there since the forum is heavy toward the east, sometimes replies become an underlying competition when in reality we all enjoy the scenery in every city

Old 04-14-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflation View Post
If we compare DC & SF bay, is a comparison of east vs west.. put it like this. Eastcoast represents OLD America the opposite of the West, which is the NEW. Politically wise DC follow in the footsteps of the Westcoast. If we put down the bias it's clear this is whats playing out. No disrespect to the eastcoast, they're the originals of the country. There's an arguement to be made about D.C vs Sacramento for political clout..
The issue is that D.C. is an actual full scale well rounded metropolis that couldn't just be compared on political clout. There's more major private industry in DC than 90% of American cities. The metro area is a life sciences hub, has major banking institutions, is home to over a dozen Fortune 500 companies, and even more Fortune 1000 companies, and is the 3rd media hub after NYC and LA. The city and region is a whole lot more than politics.

But even just politically it's the nerve center of the entire country. Not one state. Geo-politics, and being home to the federal government (2 things) makes the city a world class place of business just off the presence of being the nation's capital city. There are more foreign diplomats in DC than anywhere else. All of the largest tech companies have been present and are still expanding in and around DC, because they can't miss out on being in such an important city. Even at a small scale start ups, and a smaller tech scene exists there too, it really runs the gamut.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Somehow I feel like we have been arguing over left Twix vs right Twix for 30 pages.

Can we call it a draw already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City