Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 11:47 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

^^I wouldn't buy an idea that depends on not knowing how cities and boundaries work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 12:01 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope, and SF financed SV by the way. Stanford is a creation of a San Francisco railroad baron, and so to try and separate SF from SV is like separating a mother from it's child. Fail.

But I'm really talking about progressive politics dubbed 'San Francisco values', a thing that has been scaring the bejeezus out of rightwingers across the country for decades now, that has nothing to do with San Jose. And now half the country more or less subscribes to those values too. I'm not saying that only happened in SF, but SF is 'blamed' for it the most.

Look at this most recent Anti-SF campaign add, all the way in Georgia no less. Hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJp8-BAT6Y

And we can talk about various cultural, social and political movements going back decades, SF has always been at the forefront of some shift, the catalyst for some change, not saying it's always been for the best, but still.

Also,

San Franciscans themselves also have a distinct persona, image, stereotype in the national and international psyche. Everyone has some sort of idea of what they think San Franciscans are like, to the point of caricature.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no such image people have for what a Washingtonian is like, there is no 'typical' washingtonian. I think that's very relevant to this city pairing as well.
Usually it's more about "coastal" values, not SF values. That's one video. How many movies have you seen or how many times have you heard "those crooks in Washington/Congress" or "that's coming straight from DC/the Oval office" or "The feds are taking over this case." When I hear those phrases, I immediately think of DC. Same with Federal grand jury, etc

Old 04-14-2022, 12:07 PM

663 posts, read 306,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Houston IS the 4th largest city in the nation, after New York, LA, and Chicago, (and expected to pass Chicago around 2030, by the way). No other city is even close to passing Houston, so, I don't understand why any other city would be considered one of the Big 4.

If we're talking metros, DFW would round out the Big 4 and Greater Houston would complete the Big 5. Both metros are expected to overtake Chicagoland by 2040.
Metro Chicago and Houston are 2-mil people apart. Houston had a hurricane through in a wrench in from poor planning and flooding etc. All know this city is prone and is adding more costly precautions. Fema even has to help provide insurance. Few areas are not at all.

Still any city gets a foot of rain it will flood. Still extra-at-risk for 100 yr and 500 yr storms and flooding have been occuring.

Houston was predicted 10-15 yrs ago to overtake Chicago city-proper by 2020 or before. Actually SFW grew faster as one metro.

Toronto did already in city-proper pop and will in metro before the TX cities. DFW probably overtale Chicagoland before Houston metro.

A metro officially is still a world recognized stat. It is a broader CSA that is not.

Just 2 decades could have Texas a - Whole 'nother Country literally. We are in for some kind of self-induced divide of the Nation I fear.

Just sooo glad I lived most of my life in better eras despite the declines and Corporate abandonment and bleed to suburbs of previous decades to our Northern cities, the double-digit inflation of the 70s, to double digit interest rates of the awesome 80s.

Last edited by Chi-town; 04-14-2022 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 12:11 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Metro Chicago and Houston are 2-mil people apart. Houston had a hurricane through in a wrench in from poor planning and flooding etc. All know this vmcity is prone. Few areas are not at all.

Houston was predicted 10+ yes ago to overtake Chicago city-proper by 2020 or before. Actually SFW grew faster as one metro.

T
What are you talking about? Houston was not going to surpass Chicago by 2020. If it were, then by 2017, it would’ve atleast been within 100K in population which it wasn’t and still isn’t anywhere close.

Houston in 2021 grew at a faster rate than it did in 2016.

The Houston surpassing Chicago pace is still a thing and no storm or freeze has done anything to slow that down.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t agree with the post you responded to that claimed Houston being the 4th city here. It in no way shape or form is ahead of DC/SF. Just pointing out the nonsense in your response.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-14-2022 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 12:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Metro Chicago and Houston are 2-mil people apart. Houston had a hurricane through in a wrench in from poor planning and flooding etc. All know this city is prone and is adding more costly precautions. Fema even has to help provide insurance. Few areas are not at all.

A metro officially is still a world recognized stat. It is a broader CSA that is not.
You continue to say that, and it's simply not true. The United States MSA's are not "world recognized stats". They are designated by our own Office of Management and Budget, and are a US only metric. The world does recognize Urbanized Areas however.

Demograhpia UA's 2021 (North America):

11. New York, NY-NJ-CT- 20,902,000
21. Los Angeles, CA- 15,477,000
42. Chicago, IL-IN-WI- 9,013,000
51. Washington-Baltimore, DC-VA-MD- 7,583,000
56. Boston-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT-ME- 7,340,000
60. Toronto, ON- 6,985,000
61. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX- 6,960,000
68. Houston, TX- 6,529,000
71. San Francisco-San Jose, CA- 6,481,000
73. Miami, FL- 6,212,000
81. Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD- 5,697,000
85. Atlanta, GA- 5,434,000

Old 04-14-2022, 12:47 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Usually it's more about "coastal" values, not SF values. That's one video. How many movies have you seen or how many times have you heard "those crooks in Washington/Congress" or "that's coming straight from DC/the Oval office" or "The feds are taking over this case." When I hear those phrases, I immediately think of DC. Same with Federal grand jury, etc
Yes we all have our experiences and opinions.

A person from the Bay Area, who travels around this country gets an ear full.

What on EARTH did we do to this pilot?

And there a ton of ads and tv reports...

This was one of my favorites...

this one is frightening....lol

It's not by accident tho, the SF political machine took over California 30 years ago, and that has spread to DC with the rise of Feinstein, Boxer, then Pelosi, now Harris.

Town and Country did an interesting piece on this a while back.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...isco-politics/

But back to the point. DCs image is far more generic as in people think of red tape, bureaucracy, high taxes, corruption, but that's the attitude about govt in general, SF's image is far more clear.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes we all have our experiences and opinions.

A person from the Bay Area, who travels around this country gets an ear full.

What on EARTH did we do to this pilot?

And there a ton of ads and tv reports...

This was one of my favorites...

this one is frightening....lol

It's not by accident tho, the SF political machine took over California 30 years ago, and that has spread to DC with the rise of Feinstein, Boxer, then Pelosi, now Harris.

Town and Country did an interesting piece on this a while back.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...isco-politics/

But back to the point. DCs image is far more generic as in people think of red tape, bureaucracy, high taxes, corruption, but that's the attitude about govt in general, SF's image is far more clear.
The image of DC is pretty clear. It's the capital of the most powerful country in the history of the planet Earth.

SF is known as the most liberal city, the most technologically forward, but as far as liberal antagonism, it's the west coast and the northeast.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Dc

Old 04-14-2022, 01:07 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The image of DC is pretty clear.
No, I mean the people themselves. San Franciscans have an actual stereotype, Washingtonians dont really.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Still any city gets a foot of rain it will flood. Still extra-at-risk for 100 yr and 500 yr storms and flooding have been occuring.

Houston was predicted 10-15 yrs ago to overtake Chicago city-proper by 2020 or before. Actually SFW grew faster as one metro.

Toronto did already in city-proper pop and will in metro before the TX cities. DFW probably overtale Chicagoland before Houston metro.

Just 2 decades could have Texas a - Whole 'nother Country literally. We are in for some kind of self-induced divide of the Nation I fear.

Just sooo glad I lived most of my life in better eras despite the declines and Corporate abandonment and bleed to suburbs of previous decades to our Northern cities, the double-digit inflation of the 70s, to double digit interest rates of the awesome 80s.
#Texastakeover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City