Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 11:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It became about CSA’s because you keep bringing up Baltimore and how Baltimore and Washington are separate and people should stop acting like they’re singular. But you keep bringing up Baltimore.

& Washington may have crime. But it’s fact that None of the 50 largest cities come close in crime to Baltimore. It ranks the worst year after year in nearly every study on poverty, violence, crime and decay. Washington & it’s suburbs vs. Baltimore & it’s suburbs in crime, education, poverty, income, etc is literally on the opposite ends.

How is Washington compared to Baltimore in poverty? In education? In income? How many international flights are at Dulles VS. BWI? How’s DC metro compared to Baltimores mass transit? Where does Baltimore stack up to DC in corruption? How many tourist does DC receive vs. Baltimore? Does Baltimore have anything compared to the White House or Capitol? What’s the GDP compared to DC? How do the two compare in Fortune 500 companies?

In general, where does the Washington MSA usually wind up on rankings when it comes to things such as income and where does Baltimore MSA come? It’d probably be worse if not for bordering the Washington metro area and sucking off some federal agencies on the fringes.

I don’t particularly want to say negative things about Baltimore or point out the obvious because I think it is the product of injustice, systemic racism and other things in addition the city has so much potential and the urban bones are so great and I personally hope Baltimore turns it around.

But you’re constantly inserting Baltimore where it’s not relevant. The most crime ridden, poster child of poverty and urban decay and tragedy and weary struggling large metropolitan area is not needed to “boost” one of the most educated & wealthy metropolitan areas in the US. An area that *BOTH* San Jose MSA & San Francisco MSA also tend to be among the top. Baltimore, even if Located at the border of DC would not at all be the San Jose to Washington’s San Francisco… imagine if San Jose and Baltimore swapped places. Wow… That’d be quite a change to San Francisco & Washington….

Everyone - just going to assume - who voted for Washington were only thinking of the 6 million Washington-Arlington-Alexandria area…. So you can rest easy knowing that Baltimore isn’t being used to boost Washington or make Washington look like it has a bigger ding dong than Chicago.
It was a Washingtonian who initially brought up Baltimore in this thread post #14. So by the post that I just referenced, anything that applies to DC also applies to Baltimore and vice versa. The poster also goes on to say that if SF insists on including San Jose, then Washington must include Baltimore. So yes, Baltimore is relevant to this thread. Baltimore has also surpassed Chicago as the 3rd largest metro in the US. It doesnt matter how you feel about it, it is indeed a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:04 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Good luck winning a vote on that. It's a homer argument, devoid of reality of how cities work.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It was a Washingtonian who initially brought up Baltimore in this thread post #14. So by the post that I just referenced, anything that applies to DC also applies to Baltimore and vice versa. The poster also goes on to say that if SF insists on including San Jose, then Washington must include Baltimore. So yes, Baltimore is relevant to this thread. Baltimore has also surpassed Chicago as the 3rd largest metro in the US. It doesnt matter how you feel about it, it is indeed a fact.
DC doesn’t get to claim Baltimore, sorry.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 PM

And SF doesn’t get to claim San Jose either. That’s why I’ll say it again - there’s no “Big 4”. If anything it will eventually be a Texas city (probably Houston because Dallas has the same problem with Ft Worth). Larger CSAs with smaller decentralized cities/metros don’t really fit the NY/LA/Chicago model, it’s just not how it works. No one central core. Not the same.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:23 PM

497 posts, read 351,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The density between San Bruno and Menlo Park (a distance of 20 miles) is sandwiched between 101 and just west of El Camino Real. Interstate 280 was completed by the late 60’s and if you drive 7 miles south of the San Francisco border (San Bruno) it resembles a rural multi lane highway until you reach Cupertino (distance of 33 miles). That’s really telling on how unique the geography of the Bay Area is.
When it comes to urbanized area, the large mountainous regions in the Bay should be excluded and then you get a much higher density number I'd say a lot of things are unfair when it comes to numbers for the Bay Area because SF and SJ looks far in terms of distance, but because of how unique the topography is, the actual land area usable for construction and urban development is just that narrow elongated corridor along the inner side of the peninsula. It's really a bit unfair to divide SF/SJ into two separate MSAs in my opinion. Agree to disagree

Old 04-14-2022, 11:30 PM

Another thing is that many people, especially those from outside of the US, wouldn't even know that SJ is a separate entity from SF. They just assumed that SJ is part of SF or never heard of SJ - but the same can't be said of DC/Baltimore. I don't think they would think of DC and Baltimore as if they were the same or Baltimore is part of DC.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:34 PM

I’ve spent more time in San Jose than I ever needed to in this lifetime and it feels worlds apart from San Francisco.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’ve spent more time in San Jose than I ever needed to in this lifetime and it feels worlds apart from San Francisco.
they are very different -- no doubt. But just like Staten Island is another world from Manhattan.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:22 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Another thing is that many people, especially those from outside of the US, wouldn't even know that SJ is a separate entity from SF. They just assumed that SJ is part of SF or never heard of SJ - but the same can't be said of DC/Baltimore. I don't think they would think of DC and Baltimore as if they were the same or Baltimore is part of DC.
A more likely scenario is that "people outside of the U.S." would not have heard of San Jose, and when they finally get around to Googling it, won't consider it to have anything to do with San Francisco.

Even though the OP specified "cities", this thread is very unsurprisingly a back and forth about large geographic regions and not cities.

Dusseldorf and Cologne are 25 miles apart. I don't see anyone claiming one has anything to do with the other with the same fervor of SF/SJ and DC/Baltimore boosters.

I voted for Houston, the obvious answer to the poll question.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:54 AM

45 posts, read 24,163 times
If adding Baltimore to the DC CSA then it's fair to conclude that if Baltimore we're on the west coast, it might be the more inland area of CA, the ghetto side to the DC metro that remain the second anchor... They have it's own ecomonic factors but overall an area where most people are a bit poorer and not the best place to live in the region (like suburbs). San Jose seem like they have a bit more hope if separate from SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City