Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 06:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Absolutely better. Fresher, unfussy, and sourced locally. Absolutely not dominated by Sysco type processing - blech.
I don’t think you know much about the seafood in Houston or I sense some bias towards Jacksonville here. The remark reducing the seafood in Houston to Sysco processed kinda gives that away. They’re both coastal cities. It’s quite easy to find fresh seafood in both.

The actual correct answer is that the seafood in both is different and that it boils down to preference.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:53 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
And better seafood...
Dunno about seafood. But you could say better water sports and better golfing. Perhaps better proximity to other cities. I'm running out of betters for Jax...

Old 04-22-2022, 11:31 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
My God what two horrible choices!
I heard that Jacksonville is close to Florida though!

This is what folks from Jacksonville say about Dade/Broward/Palm Beach Counties!

Old 04-22-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don’t think you know much about the seafood in Houston or I sense some bias towards Jacksonville here. The remark reducing the seafood in Houston to Sysco processed kinda gives that away. They’re both coastal cities. It’s quite easy to find fresh seafood in both.

The actual correct answer is that the seafood in both is different and that it boils down to preference.
I'm going by what your follow Houstonian PS said, that the large percentage of seafood is sourced similarly. Jax doesn't go that route, at all. Sysco doesn't know what fresh water Blue Crab from the St. Johns River or Rock Shrimp even are, never mind where they come from! And I freely admit to being biased towards Jax, North Florida knows from good seafood!

Old 04-22-2022, 11:46 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
I have to chime in here... North Florida ABSOLUTELY does have better seafood than Houston... My a large margin.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:01 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Florida seafood is bland and meh. Crawfish, shrimp, oysters, etc. all better in Houston, by a country mile. Houston has unique seafood styles as well that Florida in general doesn't.

It's funny that someone from Atlanta is commenting on seafood at all to be honest lol.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Florida seafood is bland and meh. Crawfish, shrimp, oysters, etc. all better in Houston, by a country mile. Houston has unique seafood styles as well that Florida in general doesn't.

It's funny that someone from Atlanta is commenting on seafood at all to be honest lol.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about here, and this 'someone from Atlanta' is a Florida native that lived there for half his life. And I will match any and all seafood pound for pound any day - but we do have some things that don't exist in Texas, sorry.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:37 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
You clearly don't know what you are talking about here, and this 'someone from Atlanta' is a Florida native that lived there for half his life. And I will match any and all seafood pound for pound any day - but we do have some things that don't exist in Texas, sorry.
What seafood does Florida have that Texas doesn't? Because Texas definitely has some unique seafood styles that don't exist in Florida.

Guess its just a matter of preference, but for a coastal Gulf state I've never been all that impressed with seafood in Florida. It has a tendency toward the bland. Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina (as well as Texas) all have better imo.

Regardless of preference, the OP will have no problem finding great seafood in Houston.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:53 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Well seafood to many in Texas means shrimp, crawfish, catfish and red snappers. They don't really know the Atlantic species. The regional style that they bragged about is actually mostly from Louisiana.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:26 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
I'm going by what your follow Houstonian PS said, that the large percentage of seafood is sourced similarly. Jax doesn't go that route, at all. Sysco doesn't know what fresh water Blue Crab from the St. Johns River or Rock Shrimp even are, never mind where they come from! And I freely admit to being biased towards Jax, North Florida knows from good seafood!
Wait, you dont know Houston seafood but youre adamant about your opinion that Jacksonville has better seafood???

Come on JMatl, youre smarter than that. You know youd have to actually know both specifically to make that conclusion. That's pretty well letting your bias get you emotionally involved in an judgement that you admit you cant make.

Almost all the seafood places I eat at are locally sourced. In my experience Seafood in North Florida is just different. In Galveston, almost EVERYTHING is locally sourced. It boils down to preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City