Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Boston 34 21.66%
Philadelphia 123 78.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 08:42 PM

795 posts, read 481,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Please grade these two cities on how instantly recognizable their skyline is.

Example: If you received a postcard from someone who visited these cities, but neither city name was listed, which unmistakably would be recognize first in your eyes. Feel free to list iconic buildings or other notable structures.

Pictures are welcome.

This is a fun question!!

Two great, historic cities. Honestly though, I don't find either skyline instantly recognizable on a level that is like New York City, Chicago or San Francisco.

The one I would recognize first without the names on the postcard would be Boston, but ONLY because I'm from here. Otherwise, I honestly don't think I would recognize either on first guess.

They're both nice, Philadelphia's wows me more on a heigh basis, but Boston's wows me more on a density basis. Overall if I wasn't from Boston and saw the two I would probably recognize Philadelphia's first from the tall tower with the antenna. If I saw Boston's I would think it was a smaller cities skyline.

I am not very knowledgeable on skylines. I wish Boston would build at least one tall tower to be on par with Seattle, Philadelphia and Atlanta etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 05:49 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
This is a fun question!!

Two great, historic cities. Honestly though, I don't find either skyline instantly recognizable on a level that is like New York City, Chicago or San Francisco.

The one I would recognize first without the names on the postcard would be Boston, but ONLY because I'm from here. Otherwise, I honestly don't think I would recognize either on first guess.

They're both nice, Philadelphia's wows me more on a heigh basis, but Boston's wows me more on a density basis. Overall if I wasn't from Boston and saw the two I would probably recognize Philadelphia's first from the tall tower with the antenna. If I saw Boston's I would think it was a smaller cities skyline.

I am not very knowledgeable on skylines. I wish Boston would build at least one tall tower to be on par with Seattle, Philadelphia and Atlanta etc.
Until you all move Logan Airport away from the downtown, that won't happen.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:56 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'd go with Philly. Boston is a great city with a lot of qualities, but for such a high profile city, its skyline is not on par with other American cities of similar stature or even below it. Philly has a great skyline. Nice balance of old and new with good density and height variation.
The funny thing is, up until 1987, Boston had the two tallest skyscrapers to be found in either city — the John Hancock and Prudential towers.

And up until 1987, Philadelphia's skyline was underwhelming — it was a municipal buzz cut because of all the skyscrapers that came up to the brim of William Penn's hat atop City Hall but did not tower over it.

Every one of the skyscrapers that define our skyline now do that.* And every one of them postdates 1987.

I think that you might make an argument that the City Council's giving the Liberty Place complex the green light was the event that touched off Center City Philadelphia's resurgence.

*But after 1987, the city's sports teams entered a championship drought that some blamed on "the curse of Billy Penn" — according to this bit of local lore, the bad fortune was brought on by building towers taller than City Hall. To end the jinx, a tiny statue of William Penn was welded to the final beam of the Comcast Technology Center when it was topped off. Since then, we've had something the city had never seen before: an Eagles Super Bowl victory.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:14 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
As someone not connected with either city I can recognize Philly easier. It's both of the Liberty Place towers and the Comcast center that pop out immediately. It always takes me a couple seconds longer to get Boston as most of the buildings are less descript for me. Once I pull out the Prudential and Hancock Towers I recognize Boston. Just not as quick as Philly.
This exactly for me. I love the city of Boston more than I love the city of Philadelphia, but I will still recognize Philly instantly

Old 07-16-2022, 07:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The funny thing is, up until 1987, Boston had the two tallest skyscrapers to be found in either city — the John Hancock and Prudential towers.

And up until 1987, Philadelphia's skyline was underwhelming — it was a municipal buzz cut because of all the skyscrapers that came up to the brim of William Penn's hat atop City Hall but did not tower over it.

Every one of the skyscrapers that define our skyline now do that.* And every one of them postdates 1987.

I think that you might make an argument that the City Council's giving the Liberty Place complex the green light was the event that touched off Center City Philadelphia's resurgence.

*But after 1987, the city's sports teams entered a championship drought that some blamed on "the curse of Billy Penn" — according to this bit of local lore, the bad fortune was brought on by building towers taller than City Hall. To end the jinx, a tiny statue of William Penn was welded to the final beam of the Comcast Technology Center when it was topped off. Since then, we've had something the city had never seen before: an Eagles Super Bowl victory.
Cool! Thanks for the background. I enjoy it when locals write about stuff that only they would know about their city. It is a big reason I enjoy the c v c forum!

Old 07-16-2022, 11:13 PM

795 posts, read 481,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Until you all move Logan Airport away from the downtown, that won't happen.

Lol won't happen. I think people love the convenience of having the airport right there in the city. I started my words with lol, because I visualized in my head everyday Bostonians just having the ability to move Logan Airport further out of the city limits on any given day haha.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Despite being one of the oldest cities in the country, there's nothing iconic about the Boston skyline. I would go as far as to say that the Boston skyline is completely unrecognizable to the average American outside of the Boston MSA/CSA.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:59 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What smaller cities have larger skylines? Pic below for reference:

https://flic.kr/p/2n9DVq2

^Its vaguely 3mi from the building on the right to the farthest skyscraper on the left.
Boston has just as many +500' buildings as LA, SF and has more than Seattle or Philly. It's just stunted in absolute height compared to them because of the airport so instead of it's tallest being ~1000' there "only" 800'.

It always make me laugh when people call it "small", like in what world is having ~24 +500' buildings considered small?

Old 07-18-2022, 11:31 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Philly for me. The only thing I could recognize from Boston is I.M. Pei-designed Hancock tower.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:42 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'm older than the philly skyline; whereas, the boston skyline is older than me.
boston.

I get the joke, but I do think it's the blend of modern buildings and classic buildings stacked next to each other is what makes Philadelphia's skyline memorable.

https://i.imgur.com/tjQKhig.png

https://i.imgur.com/MQI81x4.png

https://i.imgur.com/VuxTPDc.png

https://i.imgur.com/4XLNo8N.png

https://i.imgur.com/qalYLgD.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City