Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Boston 34 21.66%
Philadelphia 123 78.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 04:23 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times

Advertisements

i'm older than the philly skyline; whereas, the boston skyline is older than me.
boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 06:40 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'm older than the philly skyline; whereas, the boston skyline is older than me.
boston.
You were around prior to 1932?

Old 04-22-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you’re an architecture nerd correct. But layman’s the Hancock and Pru from Cambridge across the Charles is 100% the most famous skyline shot from either city.
I think that's a pretty bold statement. There's really nothing to substantiate that.

I think you, like some other Boston posters here, are very much overestimating the knowledge that the average American has about the the city's skyline. I find that to be pretty separate from its profile, honestly.

People who've been to Boston before are probably more likely to remember, but as it's been alluded to by many, the skyline is probably one of the most forgettable aspects of the city.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:19 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that's a pretty bold statement. There's really nothing to substantiate that.

I think you, like some other Boston posters here, are very much overestimating the knowledge that the average American has about the the city's skyline. I find that to be pretty separate from its profile, honestly.

People who've been to Boston before are probably more likely to remember, but as it's been alluded to by many, the skyline is probably one of the most forgettable aspects of the city.
The crux of literally every Philly vs Boston/SF/DC etc thread is always “Philly isn’t actually lacking <whatever people say city has> it’s just ignored”

Now I say Philly doesn’t lack substance is lacks recognition (in a thread about recognition not substance) and I’m done delusional Boston Poster?

Old 04-22-2022, 07:32 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
You were around prior to 1932?
I think the poster is referring to the Gentleman's Agreement that ended with the announcement of the construction of Liberty Place in the mid 80s.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The crux of literally every Philly vs Boston/SF/DC etc thread is always “Philly isn’t actually lacking <whatever people say city has> it’s just ignored”

Now I say Philly doesn’t lack substance is lacks recognition (in a thread about recognition not substance) and I’m done delusional Boston Poster?
Honestly wasn't what I was trying to say. You're not delusional. I'm just saying that profile and the skyline are separate in my book.

Boston does have a higher profile in terms of overall recognition, that's objectively true in a number of ways. I'm just saying it's not because of its skyline.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Definitely Philly with its two Comcost towers and Liberty Place twins; City Hall isn't always visible from afar but you can get some spectacular sightlines once in the city. Boston gets points for the Back Bay skyline but from nearly almost every other vantage point, Boston's skyline is surprisingly nondescript.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A repost of this image- taken by me personally. Cannot be found elsewhere online.

Attachment 236334

Dome? Where? Just as you can't pick out Philadelphia City Hall from many skyline views, I think you have to get really close to Beacon Hill for the Massachusetts State House dome to become identifiable in the Boston skyline. I sure can't find it in the photo you were commenting about; the closest thing to one is the shallow ziggurat topping the old John Hancock Insurance Company building just to the left of the John Hancock Tower in the Back Bay.[/quote]

See the above photo. To the left of the tallest building there's a dome with some sort of antenna sticking out of the top. IDK the name of the domed building. I'm not very familiar with Boston. Have passed by it on my way north but never had reason to visit.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:10 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Dome? Where? Just as you can't pick out Philadelphia City Hall from many skyline views, I think you have to get really close to Beacon Hill for the Massachusetts State House dome to become identifiable in the Boston skyline. I sure can't find it in the photo you were commenting about; the closest thing to one is the shallow ziggurat topping the old John Hancock Insurance Company building just to the left of the John Hancock Tower in the Back Bay.
See the above photo. To the left of the tallest building there's a dome with some sort of antenna sticking out of the top. IDK the name of the domed building. I'm not very familiar with Boston. Have passed by it on my way north but never had reason to visit.[/quote]

You left out a [quote] tag, but you have the answer to your question in my response (above) to BBMM's prior post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl
the closest thing to one is the shallow ziggurat topping the old John Hancock Insurance Company building just to the left of the John Hancock Tower in the Back Bay
What appears to be a dome in that photo is actually a series of stepped-back floors at the top of the old (1947) John Hancock Insurance Company headquarters building.

The one actual dome I know about in Boston is the gold one topping the original (1795) wing of the Massachusetts State House on Beacon Hill. (The Charles Bulfinch structure is one of my favorite state capitol buildings, up there with Ohio's, Maryland's, Delaware's and New Mexico's. Of the Washington clones, Pennsylvania's is the most elegant.)

I attended college in Cambridge and lived in the Boston area for seven years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:

The signature Boston sight lines aren’t office towers. The Citgo sign beyond the Green Monster at Fenway Park is probably the best known nationally. The view of the Charles River where the buildings are the MIT campus across the river. Philly is kind of the same way. City Hall and Independence Hall are what people know. It’s not like Manhattan where skyscrapers are the feature. Personally, I like that about the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City