Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the more recognizable skyline?
Boston 34 21.66%
Philadelphia 123 78.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 08:19 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I walked from Rittenhouse to the Death Star a jillion times when I was working there. Street level Philly around the towers is pretty soul-less.
I agree that having a mix of heights is a good thing, although I've yet to be around a neighborhood/CBD in any city with a preponderance of predominately office buildings-use that isn't somewhat soul-less. That's just the nature of the beast, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 08:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Philly City Hall isn't particularly part of the skyline. It's only 548 feet. If you Google "Philadelphia skyline 2022", you won't be able to pick out city hall in many of the photos.
At least not since they suspended the informal agreement in place from the time City Hall tower was completed, in 1894, until 1990 or so. Center City buildings were supposed to defer to William Penn's hat. I guess someone argued it wasn't working any more and so the developers got busy going higher with two Chrysler building knockoffs in the mix.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:29 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston because of Pru and Hancock. Tbh, idek a signature Philly building.
Liberty Center

Comcast Center

Comcast Innovative Tower

FMC Tower

Cira Center

PSFS......The first international skyscraper

BNY Mellon Center

3 Logan Square - My favorite

Philadelphia City Hall - The most beautiful city hall in the US

Old 04-19-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’m not dogging the skyline it’s till nice it’s just not as expansive and I find the buildings to be a little more monotonous.

its obvious more people recognize it but it’s just shocking to me- I know Philly’s skyline well and sometimes confuse it with Atlanta until I see the peach tree plaza.
The Philadelphia skyline looks nothing like Atlanta. The amount of prewar towers alone sets it apart. The prewar towers were dwarfed by the modern towers but they complement one another especially at street level.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:54 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Liberty Center
Comcast Center
Comcast Innovative Rower
FMC Tower
Cira Center
PSFS......The first international skyscraper
BNY Mellon Center
3 Logan Square - My favorite
Philadelphia City Hall - The most beautiful city hall in the US
If I asked a random person in Des Moines to describe the Cira Center in Philadelphia, do you really think they’d have any idea what I was talking about?

Old 04-19-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If I asked a random person in Des Moines to describe the Cira Center in Philadelphia, do you really think they’d have any idea what I was talking about?
I wouldn't expect a random person anywhere to pick out any skyline. As far as skyscraper / skyline nerds....they would recognize every tower posted. That is who would read this type of post. The Philadelphia skyline is recognizable and dynamic especially in person.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The question isn't about how well known a building is. It's regarding how distinctive or "signature" it is.

A building can absolutely be signature without being super well-known

The "Pru" is a great example of that. No one could care less about the "Pru" outside of Boston, but it's obviously a signature building.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The question isn't about how well known a building is. It's regarding how distinctive or "signature" it is.

A building can absolutely be signature without being super well-known

The "Pru" is a great example of that. No one could care less about the "Pru" outside of Boston, but it's obviously a signature building.
I can agree with that, but I maintain that half the buildings listed by the poster above aren’t particularly distinctive.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 1,151 times
The Liberty Place buildings stand out a lot in Philadelphia.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I can agree with that, but I maintain that half the buildings listed by the poster above aren’t particularly distinctive.
We can quibble non-stop I'm sure with what qualifies as "distinctive," but there's good reason to disagree with that statement. I'll just leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City