Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose to live in?
San Antonio 46 63.01%
Albuquerque 27 36.99%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 11:33 PM

282 posts, read 216,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
First time I went to Albuquerque in 2008, I thought it was a fairly clean and safe city just provided the basics at a very low price.

I was even considering moving to Albuquerque in 2008. I went back in 2019 and it seemed like everything had changed the worst.

I don't understand why Albuquerque is the way it is these days. Albuquerque has actually has a good business base, it is not a poor city overall, New Mexico has one of the highest amounts of natural resources and oil per-capita on any state in the country. The purchasing power on money for the typical job is far higher in Albuquerque than the typical-city.

I went back to Albuquerque in 2019 and it was nothing like it was in 2008. The violent crime has surged, their were needles lining the streets, lots of encampments and was far, far less clean than 2008.

2008 Albuquerque was a very underrated community. The Albuquerque of today I would not recommend but that is just my opinion based on my experience.

Scenery and Outdoors: I prefer San Antonio because it is very lush and the Northside has lush, green hills.

Economy: San Antonio

Food: San Antonio

Cost of Living: San Antonio.

Albuquerque is overall a little bit less expensive, but they have alot less supply.

San Antonio is a bit more overall, but there is much, much more apartment and home inventory available.

Crime: San Antonio has a much lower violent crime rate.

Infrastructure: San Antonio.

Urbanity: San Antonio.

Desirable suburbs: San Antonio

Climate: San Antonio.

I like warmer weather and San Antonio and was in San Antonio in the winter several years ago.

San Antonio winter would be cold and maybe some rain or flurries mixed in for a day or two then it would get very, very warm for many days.

Albuquerque with it's elevation has colder winters than I think many would think.

San Antonio is a few degrees warmer in the summer and it is more humid but the strong is not nearly as strong as Albuquerque
I've lived in Albuquerque all my life, over forty years now. Albuquerque overall has never been better than it is right now.

Albuquerque has always had issues with crime, and that includes when it was booming and growing rapidly between the 1950s and the first decade of the 2000s. We had a lull in our growth and a bad decade in the 2010s for various things, so our longstanding issues were no longer overlooked and instead were spotlighted. But the issues aren't any worse now than they've ever been, most especially not any worse since 2008. Albuquerque is dealing with homeless problems right now just the same as every other city. Murders last year were out of hand, just like most every other large city. Our overall crime is actually on a downward trend over the last few years, so there is hope that we will get back to a more tolerable level with that issue soon.

However, overall we have been rebounding in the last few years from our malaise in growth and economic development. There's never been so much construction or huge development happening in our city as there is now. Billions of dollars in investments by national companies, thousands of good jobs being created, hundreds of millions in investment into our infrastructure and amenities by the local and state governments, the building of medical infrastructure and investment like we've never seen before, urban development and creative endeavors the likes of which we've also never seen before, thousands of apartments being developed, home building reaching levels last seen before the Great Recession in the heady boom times of the early 2000s, highest median income ever, lowest poverty level this millennium, etc. The list goes on.

Albuquerque truly is booming right now and this is the best time to ever have lived in the city.

I know what Albuquerque has been like over the last forty years and there's not a time I'd rather go back to than right now. Albuquerque is the best it's ever been right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 11:56 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Albuquerque has frontage roads on I-25 and parts of I-40 and Paseo del Norte. I'm not an expert on San Antonio's frontage roads, so perhaps there is a distinction you see that I don't, but Albuquerque's frontage roads are lined with businesses and it is often times the only way to access those businesses.

This is the North I-25 corridor, where the frontage roads are most prominent in Albuquerque.

https://images.crexi.com/assets/2567...9aa76ec943.jpg

https://images.crexi.com/assets/6675...0_1306x734.jpg

https://api.commercialexchange.com/a.../16/79/RAW.JPG

The section of I-25 between Comanche Road and Montaño Road/Montgomery Boulevard is going to be rebuilt beginning next year. Part of that will be introducing braided ramps in this section and building "Texas u-turns" for the frontage roads at the interchanges. These will be the first in New Mexico. All of this is being done because the frontage roads play such a key role in the North I-25 corridor.

https://www.i25improved.com/
Thank you for the clarification.
I lived in NM as a teenager for a while, but didn’t pay much attention to this stuff at the time. I’ve passed through there in more recent years but didn’t have the chance to stop and look around.

Correct me if I’m wrong about what I’m looking at on the maps: in the section of frontage road between where the off ramp connects to the it and the cross street for the intersection, there seems to be no direct access to businesses right through there. Looks like you have to go to the intersection, make a right and loop back around.
I could be wrong.

If that’s the case, however, then it is at least an improvement over what you see in Texas where you might have to turn into a business as soon as you’re off the ramp, hoping the people coming down the frontage road let you in and there’s not too many of them. Also, there often isn’t a barrier other than painted lines so if that driveway is just before the off ramp ends, you can swerve over and whip on in if you’re brave enough.
It’s a free-for-all, often with no sense of planning or orderliness to any of it.

All that aside, I’d still choose Albuquerque for its more pleasant climate if nothing else.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:06 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I've been to most Texas cities and SA a few times. I choose to live in ABQ. If I had to live in Texas, I would look at SA as the spot.

Scenery/outdoor recreation: ABQ, no contest. SA might have some water sports.
Culture: ABQ, again. For one thing there is no Texas culture. Hispano, Indian, and Anglo mixed culture is interesting and generally respected in ABQ.
Education: Probably tied. UNM is in ABQ. State college tuition is now free for NM residents.
Economy: Possibly an edge to SA although ABQ is transforming itself with less dependance on government contracts/spending.
Food: ABQ is a food hotspot. You remember it. I don't recall any interesting food in SA.
Cost of living: Maybe a tie. Prices are going up.
Crime: Tie --ABQ has a reputation for crime but most of it is petty and nonviolent. I would assume the same of SA.
Infrastructure/transportation: I agree that Texas highways in SA suck. ABQ has the commuter RailRunner going to Santa Fe and south to Belen, and they are running free busses in the city. ABQ needs another bridge or two over the Rio Grande.
Urbanity: Not sure either one gets a point here.
Desirable suburbs: NM's population is 2 million. Suburbs are not much of a thing.
Climate: ABQ runs away with the prize on climate.
Other: NM and ABQ are more progressive.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:08 PM

942 posts, read 562,765 times
Voted for San Antonio. Texas simply has more charm and culture. Likely a better economy and future too.

Albuquerque doesn't do it for me. It wins on climate and maybe cost of living.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Thank you for the clarification.
I lived in NM as a teenager for a while, but didn’t pay much attention to this stuff at the time. I’ve passed through there in more recent years but didn’t have the chance to stop and look around.

Correct me if I’m wrong about what I’m looking at on the maps: in the section of frontage road between where the off ramp connects to the it and the cross street for the intersection, there seems to be no direct access to businesses right through there. Looks like you have to go to the intersection, make a right and loop back around.
I could be wrong.

If that’s the case, however, then it is at least an improvement over what you see in Texas where you might have to turn into a business as soon as you’re off the ramp, hoping the people coming down the frontage road let you in and there’s not too many of them. Also, there often isn’t a barrier other than painted lines so if that driveway is just before the off ramp ends, you can swerve over and whip on in if you’re brave enough.
It’s a free-for-all, often with no sense of planning or orderliness to any of it.

All that aside, I’d still choose Albuquerque for its more pleasant climate if nothing else.
Yes, in that particular section and interchange, as well as a few others, the offramp lanes were carried over more directly to the cross-street, and the frontage road itself made a curving jog further out from the exit intersection to have its own separate intersection with the cross-street. This is actually a bit more dangerous and also causes congestion and back ups having so many intersections close together, a total of four within the interchange. That's why in the rebuilding they're going to get rid of that setup in the Montaño/Montgomery interchange with I-25. The state has gotten rid of other such interchange setups over the years as it has reconstructed the interstates through Albuquerque.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:21 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I hear ya! I would actually prefer San Antonio for several reasons, but those horrible frontage roads are a major turn-off. Can't figure out why Texas thinks those roads are so great, when all 49 other states have decided not to use them.
If you live here they are great and it is not hard to use them. If you are visitor I can see why that might be an issue.

To the poll's question... San Antonio has more people than the entire state of New Mexico and is growing faster. This last estimate has San Antonio +35,200 while New Mexico shrunk -1,700. It has more to offer on almost every front unless you love mountains and Allsups. ( Have a few friends from NM and they cannot stopping about these gas station burritos)

Last edited by rynetwo; 05-02-2022 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 12:11 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Which of these cities would you choose to live in, and why?

Scenery/outdoor recreation: ABQ. No contest whatsoever. San Antonio proper is fairly flat, and the Hill Country is overrated.

Culture: ABQ. Nearly all of New Mexico retains much of its historical cultural appeal. SA has a strong Hispanic culture, but Texas overall is a hodgepodge.

Education: San Antonio

Economy: San Antonio

Food: ABQ. New Mexican > Tex Mex.

Cost of living: ABQ

Crime: San Antonio

Infrastructure/transportation: ABQ

Urbanity: San Antonio

Desirable suburbs: ABQ

Climate: ABQ. The eastern half of Texas is a sauna from late May 'til well into September.

Other:

Overall I'd take Albuquerque. I've been to both a handful of times.

Was never really all that impressed with San Antonio. The Alamo is meh, and the Riverwalk is a crowded mess. For a city of its size, the skyline really underwhelming, and the climate there blows in the summer.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:07 PM

92 posts, read 105,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I've been to most Texas cities and SA a few times. I choose to live in ABQ. If I had to live in Texas, I would look at SA as the spot.

Scenery/outdoor recreation: ABQ, no contest. SA might have some water sports.
Culture: ABQ, again. For one thing there is no Texas culture. Hispano, Indian, and Anglo mixed culture is interesting and generally respected in ABQ.
Education: Probably tied. UNM is in ABQ. State college tuition is now free for NM residents.
Economy: Possibly an edge to SA although ABQ is transforming itself with less dependance on government contracts/spending.
Food: ABQ is a food hotspot. You remember it. I don't recall any interesting food in SA.
Cost of living: Maybe a tie. Prices are going up.
Crime: Tie --ABQ has a reputation for crime but most of it is petty and nonviolent. I would assume the same of SA.
Infrastructure/transportation: I agree that Texas highways in SA suck. ABQ has the commuter RailRunner going to Santa Fe and south to Belen, and they are running free busses in the city. ABQ needs another bridge or two over the Rio Grande.
Urbanity: Not sure either one gets a point here.
Desirable suburbs: NM's population is 2 million. Suburbs are not much of a thing.
Climate: ABQ runs away with the prize on climate.
Other: NM and ABQ are more progressive.
This is perhaps the most myopic post I ever read... if I had a red marker I'd hit it like an English teacher.
I live in San Francisco now but have lived in Texas and abroad.

Culture: Texas has no culture? SA has far more diverse culture than anything in NM... with Native American, Spanish, Mexican, German, French, Czech, Chinese, Japanese, etc. forming a uniquely Texas amalgamation. In the 1800s street signs in San Antonio were all in Spanish, English, German and French because of the diversity... but I suppose Texas has no culture. San Antonio created its own cuisine and regional music.

Economy: Possibly an edge to SA? Is this even debatable?

Food: You don't recall any interesting food in SA? The Culinary Institute of America only has 3 campuses in North America and none are in NM... yet San Antonio has a campus. San Antonio scored 7 James Beard award nominations this year and Albuquerque only 1. I could go on and on.

Crime: Crime is far worse in ABQ.

Infrastructure: If SA is playing catch up because the booming population has far outpaced the current infrastructure then ABQ is several decades behind. SA is investing billions into expanding its airport which cannot keep up with demand as well as implementing rapid transit and even Elon Musk's underground loops between the airport and downtown.

Urbanity: SA is undergoing a construction boom with dozens of projects U/C all it once like it never experienced before. 2 30+ story towers, 6 20+ story towers, 20 10+ story towers approved/under construction and innumerable developments under 10 stories. SA has expanded it's world-renown Riverwalk to over 15 miles of linear parkland as well as developing the historic San Pedro Creek in the same fashion. SA was a more urban place a century ago than Albuquerque is today... though neither will ever strike anyone as a dense Manhattan-like city.

Suburbs: SA has great suburbs and some have been ranked as the fastest growing towns in America.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
This is perhaps the most myopic post I ever read... if I had a red marker I'd hit it like an English teacher.
I live in San Francisco now but have lived in Texas and abroad.

Culture: Texas has no culture? SA has far more diverse culture than anything in NM... with Native American, Spanish, Mexican, German, French, Czech, Chinese, Japanese, etc. forming a uniquely Texas amalgamation. In the 1800s street signs in San Antonio were all in Spanish, English, German and French because of the diversity... but I suppose Texas has no culture. San Antonio created its own cuisine and regional music.

Economy: Possibly an edge to SA? Is this even debatable?

Food: You don't recall any interesting food in SA? The Culinary Institute of America only has 3 campuses in North America and none are in NM... yet San Antonio has a campus. San Antonio scored 7 James Beard award nominations this year and Albuquerque only 1. I could go on and on.

Crime: Crime is far worse in ABQ.

Infrastructure: If SA is playing catch up because the booming population has far outpaced the current infrastructure then ABQ is several decades behind. SA is investing billions into expanding its airport which cannot keep up with demand as well as implementing rapid transit and even Elon Musk's underground loops between the airport and downtown.

Urbanity: SA is undergoing a construction boom with dozens of projects U/C all it once like it never experienced before. 2 30+ story towers, 6 20+ story towers, 20 10+ story towers approved/under construction and innumerable developments under 10 stories. SA has expanded it's world-renown Riverwalk to over 15 miles of linear parkland as well as developing the historic San Pedro Creek in the same fashion. SA was a more urban place a century ago than Albuquerque is today... though neither will ever strike anyone as a dense Manhattan-like city.

Suburbs: SA has great suburbs and some have been ranked as the fastest growing towns in America.
You're post is full of hyperbole and very ridiculous. New Mexico's culture is very unique and every bit as diverse as anything you cite for San Antonio. Blending of cultures is a uniquely Texas trait?? Please!

Albuquerque and New Mexico have the famous Three Cultures of American Indian, Spanish and Anglo that have shaped our state's unique history. However, that history also includes very prominent and consequential German, Italian, French, Greek, and Chinese culture mixed in a well.

Germans built the New Town of Albuquerque, as well as its early industry, the Italians built the stores and restaurants, the French built the schools and medical institutions and much of the modern Catholic church infrastructure in the city and state, the Greeks also built restaurants and other commercial ventures in the early history of the modern city that began with New Town, the Chinese built the early service industry in Albuquerque with Chinese laundries and also restaurants and grocery stores. The Chinese also helped build the railroads and worked the coal mines across the state.

New Mexico also has its own musical style and is renowned for its unique cuisine as well. You can't be serious with the food stuff, come on! SMH!

I'm focusing on the culture part of your post with your ridiculous statement that San Antonio's culture is more diverse than anything in New Mexico, but your entire post is ridiculous and similarly ignorant of Albuquerque and New Mexico. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Albuquerque or New Mexico.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:18 PM

The New Town of Albuquerque was created in 1880 when the Santa Fe Railroad decided to build its main depot and yards for the state in Albuquerque. New Town is today's Downtown Albuquerque, it lies about a mile east of the original settlement of Albuquerque that was founded in 1706 which is now known as Old Town.

Franz Huning, Elias Stover and William Hazeldine bought up land around the railroad right of way and formed the New Mexico Town Company to establish a new town around the planned railroad depot and yards. All three men were German immigrants. Another early German immigrant who played a key role in early Albuquerque's development was Charles Ilfeld, who was a merchant and business owner from Las Vegas, New Mexico. At the time Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Vegas were all about the same size and rivaled each other for prominence as New Mexico's major city. Charles Ilfeld had a presence in all three cities but ended up helping Albuquerque distance itself and gain a clear lead as New Mexico's major city. His business eventually moved it headquarters to Albuquerque.

Charles Ilfeld was also Jewish and Jews were another influential group in modern Albuquerque's early history and development, including Henry Jaffa, who was the new town's first mayor. Below is a history of Charles Ilfeld which also mentions other prominent German and Jewish people in Albuquerque's history.

https://swja.library.arizona.edu/con...s-family-story

The descendents of most all of these people are still influential in Albuquerque today and have been throughout its history over the last 140+ years since New Albuquerque was created.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Huning

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elias_S._Stover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City