Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 03:43 AM

3,533 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

If DC/Baltimore aren't included, Miami.

Atlanta would come decisively next, followed by Austin/Nashville.

Charlotte splits the above upper rung cities, from the lower tier cities like Tampa, Orlando, Louisville, Memphis, Montgomery etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 10:17 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
If DC/Baltimore aren't included, Miami.

Atlanta would come decisively next, followed by Austin/Nashville.

Charlotte splits the above upper rung cities, from the lower tier cities like Tampa, Orlando, Louisville, Memphis, Montgomery etc..
I would put Dallas ahead of them right behind Atlanta. Both Atlanta and Dallas have weaker Downtowns than Austin or Nashville, but they do have a midtown area that the latter two lack.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:36 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
I would argue central east Austin along 5th and 6th is effectively Austin's "midtown" or "uptown" equivalent now. It's becoming fully lined with 5-6 story apartment complex and office developments. It has 50+ bars and restaurants, a whole foods, a target, a number of hotels, etc. It's unfortunate that they didn't zone it for skyscrapers though.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:04 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I would argue central east Austin along 5th and 6th is effectively Austin's "midtown" or "uptown" equivalent now. It's becoming fully lined with 5-6 story apartment complex and office developments. It has 50+ bars and restaurants, a whole foods, a target, a number of hotels, etc. It's unfortunate that they didn't zone it for skyscrapers though.
If there is a Target and 50+ bars and restaurants, That is a good urban base. Austin has nine neighborhoods with fifty eight thousand residents with a walk score of 80+ is fantastic for a southern newer city. It ranks 3 after Miami and New Orleans on my list.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
If there is a Target and 50+ bars and restaurants, That is a good urban base. Austin has nine neighborhoods with fifty eight thousand residents with a walk score of 80+ is fantastic for a southern newer city. It ranks 3 after Miami and New Orleans on my list.
Looks like they give both sides of this corridor an 84:

https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Austin/East_Cesar_Chavez
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Austin/Central_East_Austin

Also an 82 for neighboring Holly:
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Austin/Holly

I think if the boundaries were drawn differently it could be the high 90s, though. They have the most dense street as the dividing line between two large areas. I'm curious when the listed population numbers are from. This area has more insane apartment construction than almost anywhere else in Austin. I fully expect that to go above 20k people very soon.

As-is your stat is a bit inflated by UT having 50k students with an urban campus.

Last edited by whereiend; 05-08-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-08-2022, 01:53 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I would put Dallas ahead of them right behind Atlanta. Both Atlanta and Dallas have weaker Downtowns than Austin or Nashville, but they do have a midtown area that the latter two lack.
>> but they do have a midtown area that the latter two lack

Nashville has a clearly defined Midtown area anchored by Music Row and Vanderbilt University.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:27 PM

3,533 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
I forgot to add Dallas, but and yes I would agree on that placement.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:40 PM

I don't see how Dallas would rate ahead of Austin. I'm in downtown and uptown Dallas at least once a year and both are completely clobbered by downtown Austin IMO. Downtown Dallas is a seedy office park and Uptown is nowhere near as walkable or amenity rich as downtown Austin. I do think Dallas is a bit underrated in terms of "urban neighborhoods" and I particularly like Oak Lawn, but for downtown/uptown which this thread is I don't think it's close.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:43 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Nashville and Austin have vibrant midtowns. Nashville's extends from the Gulch to I-440. There are several bars, restaurants, hotels, and condo towers there along with the hospital district, Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt, and Belmont.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville and Austin have vibrant midtowns. Nashville's extends from the Gulch to I-440. There are several bars, restaurants, hotels, and condo towers there along with the hospital district, Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt, and Belmont.
Nashville's (walk score 29) vibrant areas cant compare with Austin (walk score 48). Nashville only has 2 areas with a 80+ walkscore with under 6000 residents. The areas that are vibrant due to tourism. There is a big difference.

https://www.walkscore.com/TN/Nashville-Davidson

https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City